Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules Breach at NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Breach at NCAA Tournament

https://golfweek.com/2018/10/04/iowa...qualification/

Quite the read. Tough circumstances, bad luck, and maybe a situation where intent needs to taken into consideration.

No need. Just make sure balls are clearly marked.
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
      No need. Just make sure balls are clearly marked.
      Exactly.

If each of the balls in question could have been uniquely identified, then there would have been no confusion.
      This situation was completely avoidable, so not much sympathy here despite their best intentions. If they had been really serious, the balls would have been properly marked.
      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

As with many things in golf (and life), the situation got this far because of compounding errors. The other team player should have taken care to identify his ball. That was a huge mistake. From there, it just gets weird. I don't understand how they came to "serious breach" of the rules and a DQ though (well, I kinda do, but it doesn't make sense). Compounding errors.

Comment

Rulies Rule!!!!!! Stupid rules and common sense never should be considered....... Sheez!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
            Rulies Rule!!!!!! Stupid rules and common sense never should be considered....... Sheez!!!!!!
            Are you suggesting that, under the rules, something different should have happened?
            If so, what exactly?
            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

unfortunate but thems the rules of golf, sometimes they assist players other times they don't but if you choose to play competitive golf you accept that the rules as they are currently written govern play.

individuals who don't play competitive golf , who play by their own rules , who pick up 5 foot putts every hole etc probably wouldn't begin to comprehend.

the whole, didn't gain a competitive advantage excuse is tenuous , who really knows intention but the player. and while I can sometimes agree and want to give players the benefit of the doubt , most of the rules don't take sides on that one so its not left to interpretation.
              Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 5, 2018, 02:29 PM.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                It would appear that "common sense" was lacking in the player/s, rules are quite clear and one should not play without basic knowledge, which was all that was needed in this situation.
                Even in our friendly games we all mark our balls.

Comment

Wow that's amazing. It is surprising that at that level, players aren't marking their balls. How does the competitor (Becht) hit one of Leal's balls? I'm sure lots of players are hitting a ProV1 so how do you not mark your ball with some mark to distinguish between the 2 players?
                  What's in the bag?
                  TM M2
                  Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                  PING Sigma G Putter
                  Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                    Wow that's amazing. It is surprising that at that level, players aren't marking their balls. How does the competitor (Becht) hit one of Leal's balls? I'm sure lots of players are hitting a ProV1 so how do you not mark your ball with some mark to distinguish between the 2 players?
                    Each ball in competition should be marked uniquely, not only to the player but to the ball itself.

Had this been done, there would have been no confusion whatsoever.
                    IMO, it's simply laziness, poor preparation and a lack of understanding regarding the rules.
                    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Every amateur with whom I played in tournaments marked their golf balls uniquely so as to be able to readily identify them as their own. If you don't take this step, then you're asking for trouble, which will inevitably find you as this story illustrates. I continue to mark my golf balls even now in friendly games. It's a habit that is deeply ingrained.

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Each ball in competition should be marked uniquely, not only to the player but to the ball itself.

Had this been done, there would have been no confusion whatsoever.
                      IMO, it's simply laziness, poor preparation and a lack of understanding regarding the rules.
                      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I am surprised that the organisers didn't appoint a starter who had the nous to strongly advise (tell) the players to mark their balls individually
                        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                          I am surprised that the organisers didn't appoint a starter who had the nous to strongly advise (tell) the players to mark their balls individually
                          Regardless, it is still the player's responsibility. That responsibility cannot be delegated or assigned to anyone else - it's just like it's the player's responsibility to know the Rules, that can't be delegated either.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Regardless, it is still the player's responsibility. That responsibility cannot be delegated or assigned to anyone else - it's just like it's the player's responsibility to know the Rules, that can't be delegated either.
                            I'm afraid there many people in society that need help with the simple things. These guys are just an example.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

After reading that article I'm confused. To me it says Leal (eventually) hit all shots and putted out with his original ball? But then says that the ball he putted out with was not any of the balls he played from the rough?

Edit - Does this actually mean that because of rule 3-3 he designated the 2 balls he played incorrectly (provisional and dropped vs original and dropped). If so, stupid f%cking golf rules!!!!
                              Last edited by xrox; Oct 7, 2018, 03:47 AM.
                              Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,750   Posts: 1,830,132   Members: 47,321   Active Members: 266
                              Welcome to our newest member, Williams26ers.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X