/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Reading the green

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading the green

https://www.randa.org/news/2018/10/l...ials-finalised
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Interesting...When you watch the pros now, it is difficult to tell if some are spending more time reading the green, vs reading their putting book maps.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
      Interesting...When you watch the pros now, it is difficult to tell if some are spending more time reading the green, vs reading their putting book maps.
      Hopefully the new 40sec 'rule' will have an effect on that.
      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

I genuinely feel sorry for any player who feels that he needs a detailed 'map' of a green in order to make himself a better putter. I suspect that these players see golf more like a video game rather than one played outdoors in widely varying conditions.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
          I genuinely feel sorry for any player who feels that he needs a detailed 'map' of a green in order to make himself a better putter. I suspect that these players see golf more like a video game rather than one played outdoors in widely varying conditions.
          Is it not simply progress using newly available technologies
          we use GPS to navigate now and not an Astrolabe
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

So what does this actually mean for the green maps that are produced for the tour players? Can it only be a picture or drawing of the green outline, with no other information on it, except what the player or caddie adds? So the first thing the caddie will do when he gets to a course will be to take the professionally produced green contour map and copy it into his own book?
            Will detailed yardage books be next on the list? How long before the pros decide to change the rule for their own tour, because they know people tune in to see the players fire at the flag and make birdies, not grind for pars.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Now that would be a hoot to see. A tour players caddie whips out his sextant, goes to the pin for a position, goes back to the ball to get its position and calculates the yardage from the difference. Talk about 'traditional and customary form and make'!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I see these maps as a significant leap in terms of precision, but this has its limits. It's the equivalent of having a rangefinder which is precise down to the centimeter, which may be technically possible but essentially useless if a player cannot control his shots to a similar degree of precision. For a player to expect that his putting will improve just because he can see a detailed topographical depiction of a green is a little absurd, mainly because there are other significant influences (green speed, blemishes, debris, wind, etc.) which can cause a ball to miss the hole after a technically-perfect (based on the map details) putt.
                Sage of the GTA...

Comment

So do you feel the same about people using range finders or yardage watches? Basically the same concept no?

Comment

Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post

So do you feel the same about people using range finders or yardage watches? Basically the same concept no?
                    Not at all. A distance to a flag or a bunker or an obstacle is a single relatively simple piece of information. Conversely, a detailed topographical map of a green involves a great deal of information to describe distance, slope and elevation. Further, despite having this level and amount of information, the speed and general condition of the green must be factored into any calculations regarding target line and initial speed of a putt, all of which can affect the final outcome. In short, I don't know how any player can manage that amount of information in not more than the time that he should take to make his putt.
                    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Reading a green is an art and a skill and those should be features of one's game (or not, lol!).

Knowing how far it is to the flag or a bunker or whatever is a simple matter of fact.
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Reading a green is an art and a skill and those should be features of one's game (or not, lol!).

Knowing how far it is to the flag or a bunker or whatever is a simple matter of fact.
                        It's still a device that provides information about the shot your about to hit. You still have to hit the approach shot. Regardless of how good you are at reading greens, you still have to hit the putt. It's the same thing.

Comment

It's still a device that provides information about the shot your about to hit. You still have to hit the approach shot. Regardless of how good you are at reading greens, you still have to hit the putt. It's the same thing.
                          Yes, you still have to hit the shot in both cases

But I think there's a difference between this:

and these:

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Yes, you still have to hit the shot in both cases

But I think there's a difference between this:

and these:

Once again, Iggy, you have crystalized my thoughts beautifully.
                            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Once again, Iggy, you have crystalized my thoughts beautifully.
                              I agree completely. I shake my head when I see pros whipping out their green books; it's sad that many can't read greens properly.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,395   Posts: 1,865,399   Members: 47,842   Active Members: 371
                              Welcome to our newest member, kpran.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X