No announcement yet.
Collapse

Reading the green

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's because the tour is so competitive now that any advantage available should be taken. I tried to quote you 4wedges but being in China there are certain internet functions that don't work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by bdybldr View Post
      I think it's because the tour is so competitive now that any advantage available should be taken. I tried to quote you 4wedges but being in China there are certain internet functions that don't work properly.
      IMO, the main problem with having this level and amount of information is the time that it take s to process it regarding a specific situation, i.e. the pin placement, the prevailing conditions and the position of the ball.

Fortunately, most tours impose a limit on the amount of time taken to play a shot, otherwise these guys would screw around even more than they did before (even at the mid-tour level, these players take absolutely forever to do even the simplest things). The real problem comes when amateurs begin to emulate this behaviour on the basis of 'Well, he does it and he's good therefore if I do it then I will be good, too', which, of course, is not how it works.

Comment

reminds me when pros used to hold their putter straight up in front of eye to read greens. Weekend warriors do the same except they have no clue what they are "reading"

Comment

Originally posted by wongmb View Post
          reminds me when pros used to hold their putter straight up in front of eye to read greens. Weekend warriors do the same except they have no clue what they are "reading"
          LOL.

I know someone who does this, and the poor guy couldn't make a putt into a garbage can.

Comment

If you can't hit the line that you've chosen, what difference does it make what line you've chosen?
            Much like distance-measuring devices - if you can't hit the right distance 90% of the time, why measure it? (other than that you can!)

Comment

In the map illustrated in Post #13, could someone tell what the unit of measurement of the countours is, please.

Comment

[QUOTE=ColinL;n2881606]In the map illustrated in Post #13, could someone tell what the unit of measurement of the countours is, please.[/QU

Topographic maps are a little different from your average map. Once you get the hang of reading them, they help you visualize three-dimensional terrain from ...

also
                In this video, we explore how to understand and analyze topographic, or contour, maps to get a sense of the 3-dimensional shape of a landscape. Additional sc...
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post
                  In the map illustrated in Post #13, could someone tell what the unit of measurement of the countours is, please.
                  I got the image from a company called The Green Book.

Here's a link to a couple of their "pro" level books. I poked around a bit and didn't see the contour interval defined - so you may want to take a further look here: https://progreenbook.com/tour/tournament-book-types
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                    If you can't hit the line that you've chosen, what difference does it make what line you've chosen?
                    Much like distance-measuring devices - if you can't hit the right distance 90% of the time, why measure it? (other than that you can!)
                    This is my exact point. I don't care if you have all that information. If you don't have the stroke and feel you wont make the putt. All that information is useless for 90% of golfers.

How many people on this site actually use green books? 5% maybe? For the rest of us we all bend over, look around, say to ourselves 'I think its 1 cup to the left' make a couple practice swings and go.

Comment

A couple of rounds ago I asked a playing partner, who plumb bobs and is an amazing putter to school me on the technique. It took mere seconds and has really helped me . Best thing, is that it can be done while waiting for others to putt and takes no additional time added to my putt reading routine.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

nothing wrong with plumbing the break,
                        caveats
                        - it only works on putts with a single break between the ball and the hole.
                        -if you hold the putter just under the grip it is very important that the toe of the putter points towards you , otherwise the shaft won't hang vertical because
                        the mass of the head will always deflect the shaft towards the heel side.
                        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          nothing wrong with plumbing the break,
                          caveats
                          - it only works on putts with a single break between the ball and the hole.
                          -if you hold the putter just under the grip it is very important that the toe of the putter points towards you , otherwise the shaft won't hang vertical because
                          the mass of the head will always deflect the shaft towards the heel side.
                          Damn! That's why I've been missing all those putts. Does it matter if the putter is face-balanced or not face-balanced? Or which eye (dominant or not) is used?
                          Please, do it quickly, miss-em-quick and quickly move on.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Damn! That's why I've been missing all those putts. Does it matter if the putter is face-balanced or not face-balanced? Or which eye (dominant or not) is used?
                            Please, do it quickly, miss-em-quick and quickly move on.
                            lol love the clever skeptic,balanced or not.

as Weirfan says,you can do this while you wait your turn.
                            In :Plumbing "you have to neutralize the effect of the head's mass.which in plain English means you align the shaft with the COG and you do this by turning the toe towards you.

yes it's the dominant eye that should be used.
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

given most pros these days dont do it and yet read green equally well, I guess its effectiveness is highly dependent on the golfer. Not a "will improve for sure" technique even for the pros.

Comment

given most pros these days dont do it and yet read green equally well, I guess its effectiveness is highly dependent on the golfer. Not a "will improve for sure" technique even for the pros.
                                And by the same logic, not a waste of time either if some pros still do it.

I only use it occasionally when a green just baffles me and looks and feels different from all angles, just to see if there's a clue. It doesn't add much time and as Weirfan says can be done while waiting for others to putt. I never need it at courses I already know because.....
                                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X