No announcement yet.
Collapse

Dags, D’ya like dags on the course?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather play with a canine companion than with someone blasting music.
    Or drinking too much.
    Or constantly yakking on their phone.
    Or who drives their carts near the green.
    Or who doesn't fix their divots, or rake the bunkers.
    Or who plays too slow.
    And based on current reports, Matt Kuchar, as he may shortchange us on treats.

But there needs to be rules and the problem is that there are those who will ignore the rules.

The dog should be on a leash. Either a waist leash attached to the player, or leashed to a pull cart.
    The owner must have to pick up any waste. No excuses.
    The dog wouldn't be allowed on the green.

So perhaps good for some courses, or on specified days/times.

As the article's author noted, I do feel guilty when out walking a course, knowing that my dog is at home, and likes nothing better than a long walk. Time spent golfing is currently time that I can't spend walking with my dog. And the dog would greatly enjoy the sights, sounds, smells of a good rural or semi-rural course.

And having him along just might improve my game, as it would decrease my frustration and allow me to be more relaxed.
    Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Feb 16, 2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I don't want to see dogs on a course. They are intelligent social animals that don't need to be traumatized by their owners frustration with the game.
      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I've posted on here about this several times. I take my dog golfing with me as often as possible. He absolutely loves it...what dog wouldn't like a 3-4 hour walk with ponds, geese etc? He stays on leash if there is anyone else in sight (or I know there is a group on the hole ahead/behind). Not because I'm worried about him causing trouble, but because he's a 100lb boxer and could scare someone who doesn't know he's the world's biggest suck.

That said, there is a time and a place. Weekend mornings at a busy public track? Not the right time or place. Quiet afternoons at a country course? Absolutely.

The only courses I've found in Ontario that allow them regularly are Muskoka Highlands, Shelburne (limited times), and Lynnbrook Family Golf Centre (more of a driving range with a 9 hole cow pasture).

It's not the same as a serious round at a high-end course, but a must for any dog lover once in a while.

Muskoka Highlands

Click image for larger version

Name:	11742656_10153595365542780_5914785284991713176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=c7bfac5ac39b8b42a966062653d1e926&oe=5CDFCFC8.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2923374Click image for larger version

Name:	11781596_10153595365462780_3649907000419396366_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=f063e22965eab452c22c28dc689430ba&oe=5CFBF53D.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	2923375
        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
        TM Rescue 17*
        TM M2 4-AW
        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

I like dogs, but am in more of a designated 'time and place' camp.

To supplement Ace's course list permitting dogs, I would add that I have received emails in the past year about designated dog days and times at GolfNorth's RiverEdge 9-holer in Kitchener, and the 18-hole executive Kettle Creek course of the Cardinal group near Newmarket/King.

_______
          NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post
            I like dogs, but am in more of a designated 'time and place' camp.

To supplement Ace's course list permitting dogs, I would add that I have received emails in the past year about designated dog days and times at GolfNorth's RiverEdge 9-holer in Kitchener, and the 18-hole executive Kettle Creek course of the Cardinal group near Newmarket/King.

Thanks for the heads up on Kettle Creek. No more boring afternoons for Cash when we visit the inlaws in King city!

TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
              I've posted on here about this several times. I take my dog golfing with me as often as possible. He absolutely loves it...what dog wouldn't like a 3-4 hour walk with ponds, geese etc? He stays on leash if there is anyone else in sight (or I know there is a group on the hole ahead/behind). Not because I'm worried about him causing trouble, but because he's a 100lb boxer and could scare someone who doesn't know he's the world's biggest suck.

That said, there is a time and a place. Weekend mornings at a busy public track? Not the right time or place. Quiet afternoons at a country course? Absolutely.

The only courses I've found in Ontario that allow them regularly are Muskoka Highlands, Shelburne (limited times), and Lynnbrook Family Golf Centre (more of a driving range with a 9 hole cow pasture).

It's not the same as a serious round at a high-end course, but a must for any dog lover once in a while.

Muskoka Highlands

Click image for larger version

Name:	11742656_10153595365542780_5914785284991713176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=c7bfac5ac39b8b42a966062653d1e926&oe=5CDFCFC8.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2923374Click image for larger version

Name:	11781596_10153595365462780_3649907000419396366_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=f063e22965eab452c22c28dc689430ba&oe=5CFBF53D.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	2923375
              I have to laugh at your dog being tied to your bag, not much weight there to hold a big dog. I was inside Starbucks one day , my guy Iggy was tied to a 30+lb patio table at Starbucks and he got startled by something which caused him to jump and knock over the table which terrified him and caused him to run down Queen street with the table dragging behind him. I could see your clubs scattered over 18 holes and more.

Comment

Kettle Creek allows you to bring your dog on certain days. I did last year, I would post a picture if I knew how.
                Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

I have to laugh at your dog being tied to your bag, not much weight there to hold a big dog. I was inside Starbucks one day , my guy Iggy was tied to a 30+lb patio table at Starbucks and he got startled by something which caused him to jump and knock over the table which terrified him and caused him to run down Queen street with the table dragging behind him. I could see your clubs scattered over 18 holes and more.
                  You could tie that 100lb dog to a leaf and he wouldn't move it. Psychological impediment I guess...

TM Rescue 17*
                  TM M2 4-AW
                  TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60

Comment

Played an out of the way 9 hole last year. Slow day, owners were kind enough to let us take the pup out. 2nd hole, let her off leash and she decides the grass is so incredible on her feet she runs a route pattern on the green. Lucky it was slow. I was using my divot tool for a good ten minutes. Leash stayed on from that point on. Experiment failed.

Comment

As long as the dog doesn’t negatively impact others play, or tear up the course, then sure. But not all dog owners are that responsible. I often see a grounds crew dog chasing geese and slow golfers, so I’m ok with that.
                      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by HackGolfing View Post
                        Played an out of the way 9 hole last year. Slow day, owners were kind enough to let us take the pup out. 2nd hole, let her off leash and she decides the grass is so incredible on her feet she runs a route pattern on the green. Lucky it was slow. I was using my divot tool for a good ten minutes. Leash stayed on from that point on. Experiment failed.
                        I would love to have my dog on the course, but the likelihood of this sort of situation happening is the reason for my reticence.

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post

You could tie that 100lb dog to a leaf and he wouldn't move it. Psychological impediment I guess...
                          I would have said the same thing before 'The Incident'.

Comment

Missed the title being a reference to the movie Snatch. Nice touch. I personally am a big fan of Guy Ritchies' gangster flicks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post
                              Strap one of them Bluetooth speakers around the pooch's neck and you're golden!

Dogs and tunes, oh yeah! Add a few doobies and a couple brewskis, nice!

Oh yeah, leave that shirt and shoes in the car.

No, thank you.
                              I like the way you think. LOL. No to dogs for me too.
                              Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Quite common in the UK.
                                My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X