Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rules regarding OB and Hazrds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
    A scenerio re the drops and strokes. Our #2 at Indian Wells is the top handicap hole. Fenced ob on the left. I fly it over and I can re-tee or walk to where it went out and hit 4.. Crappy, whispy stuff on the right and same thing, lose it and hitting 4. But if I hit 230 straight ahead into the pond I can drop in front and be hitting 3? I think that's what I saw in the videos above. Better yet, our local rule lets me go to the drop area on other side of pond closer to green, but that's another story. Seems to me treating all lost balls the same way would have some semblance of logic to it.
    yeah I know that hole, but unfortunately you're dealing with a hazard vs Out of Bounds. A few summers ago when they drained the pond to irrigate due to the drought you could have gone into the hazard and played it
    What's in the bag?
    TM M2
    Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
    PING Sigma G Putter
    Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

A scenerio re the drops and strokes. Our #2 at Indian Wells is the top handicap hole. Fenced ob on the left. I fly it over and I can re-tee or walk to where it went out and hit 4.. Crappy, whispy stuff on the right and same thing, lose it and hitting 4. But if I hit 230 straight ahead into the pond I can drop in front and be hitting 3? I think that's what I saw in the videos above. Better yet, our local rule lets me go to the drop area on other side of pond closer to green, but that's another story. Seems to me treating all lost balls the same way would have some semblance of logic to it.
      I would tend to agree that all.. call it an "unplayable ball", whether it be OB or lost should be treated the same. To your point, hole 1 at Copper Creek in Kleinburg, Water on the left i believe is considered a red stake lateral hazard, therefor i can drop 3 at point of entry, where as the driving range right is considered OB so under the new rule, would drop 4 at the fairway edge...a lot simpler if they were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post

I would tend to agree that all.. call it an "unplayable ball", whether it be OB or lost should be treated the same. To your point, hole 1 at Copper Creek in Kleinburg, Water on the left i believe is considered a red stake lateral hazard, therefor i can drop 3 at point of entry, where as the driving range right is considered OB so under the new rule, would drop 4 at the fairway edge...a lot simpler if they were the same.
        There are very good reasons they are not the same. You can play your ball out of penalty areas. When a ball is lost outside a penalty area, you can deem it unplayable but the only option you have is to proceed under stroke and distance. A ball that is out of bounds is no longer on the golf course and is no longer in play, so the only option is to proceed under stroke and distance. (In 2019, there is a Local Rule available to Committees as an alternative to stroke and distance for a lost ball or a ball out of bounds.)
        These Rules are not complicated and will make sense once you understand them and the reasons behind them. If you want to play by the Rules, you need to know the Rules.

Comment

How would you rule this scenario. Hitting 2nd to the green 230yds out...ball rolls off back of green into the tall grass or under leaves or beginning of forest scruff. Canít find ball. Is this stroke and distance (so I would have to walk back 230yds and re-hit with penalty stroke added) OR play a ball from where I believe it is and take a 2 stroke penalty and would I get 2 club lengths from where I believe the ball is lost. If i get 2 clubs I canít drop nearer the hole so I would be dropping in the scruff.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
            How would you rule this scenario. Hitting 2nd to the green 230yds out...ball rolls off back of green into the tall grass or under leaves or beginning of forest scruff. Canít find ball. Is this stroke and distance (so I would have to walk back 230yds and re-hit with penalty stroke added) OR play a ball from where I believe it is and take a 2 stroke penalty and would I get 2 club lengths from where I believe the ball is lost. If i get 2 clubs I canít drop nearer the hole so I would be dropping in the scruff.
            Greg, how is the area staked? I think that's the key point people are overlooking. The new rules don't change how previously we would have played our shots. Just depends on how areas are staked.
            What's in the bag?
            TM M2
            PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
              Initially, I was thinking no one would bother with provisionals ever again, but there is the occasional wild short shank off the tee that a provisional would almost be guaranteed to be better. Not sure how the new rule works if your tee ball didn't reach the fairway. Does this mean you "must" hit a provisional?
              AFIK, the rule applies to a ball which is lost/OB, not where it is lost/OB. Under the circumstances you describe, a 'provisional' would be a preferred option.

Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Will make your handicap more "competitive" - generally a good thing for your wallet..
                Wouldn't the handicap of everyone else go up as well?
                Sage of the GTA...

Comment

It's the basic difference between a ball generally lost/OB and a ball lost in a hazard.

IMO, hazards are part of the course. OB is off the course, and lost balls are nowhere, therefore the penalty is greater.

FWIW, why don't you hit it 220 and be hitting 2?
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post

Greg, how is the area staked? I think that's the key point people are overlooking. The new rules don't change how previously we would have played our shots. Just depends on how areas are staked.
                    what if the ball is lost under leaves or in tall grass and is not in a staked area, just off the back hill of a green

Comment

Based on what was described, there may not be anything 'staked'. That is, it may be an area 'through the green', i.e. not a tee, not a hazard, not OB and not a putting surface. If so, the ball is just plain lost. Under the new 'local rule', I don't know whether you would be allowed to drop in a fairway as the rule specifies.
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Based on what was described, there may not be anything 'staked'. That is, it may be an area 'through the green', i.e. not a tee, not a hazard, not OB and not a putting surface. If so, the ball is just plain lost. Under the new 'local rule', I don't know whether you would be allowed to drop in a fairway as the rule specifies.
                        The LR may not be applicable if the physical situation does not provide the relief area specified.
                        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

It's the basic difference between a ball generally lost/OB and a ball lost in a hazard.

IMO, hazards are part of the course. OB is off the course, and lost balls are nowhere, therefore the penalty is greater.

FWIW, why don't you hit it 220 and be hitting 2?
                          Lol. You made my morning. I've sent a lot of balls to nowhere. Re the 220, if I could it hit straight, I'd do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post

what if the ball is lost under leaves or in tall grass and is not in a staked area, just off the back hill of a green
                            then unfortunately it sucks to be you
                            What's in the bag?
                            TM M2
                            PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

See the link here, pretty much sum's up the new local rule.
                              http://www.usga.org/content/usga/hom...-distance.html

only issue i see, is in your example, i'm not to sure where the drop would take place. nearest fairway edge?

Comment

Wouldn't the handicap of everyone else go up as well?
                                Only if they follow the rules!

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 165,108   Posts: 1,729,802   Members: 45,784   Active Members: 170
                                Welcome to our newest member, JWhiz.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X