Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rules regarding OB and Hazrds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Only if they follow the rules!
    If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
      How would you rule this scenario. Hitting 2nd to the green 230yds out...ball rolls off back of green into the tall grass or under leaves or beginning of forest scruff. Canít find ball. Is this stroke and distance (so I would have to walk back 230yds and re-hit with penalty stroke added) OR play a ball from where I believe it is and take a 2 stroke penalty and would I get 2 club lengths from where I believe the ball is lost. If i get 2 clubs I canít drop nearer the hole so I would be dropping in the scruff.
      So if my next shot is on the green considering the options, A) with stroke and distance I will be on in 4 (but will have had to walk back to last played ball 230yds out thus slowing play), B) playing from behind the green with 2 stroke penalty I will be on in 5.

If I drop behind the green and there is tall grass or the beginning of forest do I get a club length from the edge even if it means Iím closer to the hole, which is probable? If lost in thick grass or leaves I would assume a spot where the ball has nestled in and play from there?

Canít recall if all areas behind greens are staked or not when scruff/forest begins. If it is staked white, 2 shot penalty, and if staked red or yellow 1 shot penalty??

Getting a migraine right now just thinking about reading through the rule book. lol.

Comment

So if my next shot is on the green considering the options, A) with stroke and distance I will be on in 4 (but will have had to walk back to last played ball 230yds out thus slowing play), B) playing from behind the green with 2 stroke penalty I will be on in 5.

If I drop behind the green and there is tall grass or the beginning of forest do I get a club length from the edge even if it means Iím closer to the hole, which is probable? If lost in thick grass or leaves I would assume a spot where the ball has nestled in and play from there?

Canít recall if all areas behind greens are staked or not when scruff/forest begins. If it is staked white, 2 shot penalty, and if staked red or yellow 1 shot penalty??

Getting a migraine right now just thinking about reading through the rule book. lol.
        You're expecting answers when the details are not available. Come back and ask your questions when you have more finite information regarding how the area behind the green is marked and what Local Rules are in place. (Or read the Rule book and Committee Procedures)

Comment

Not many forested areas behind greens are staked. While this is done along fairways so that forested areas are treated as lateral hazards, I don't recall seeing it very often in areas behind greens. If there are stakes, you would be correct that the colour would dictate the procedure and penalty.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

How would you rule this scenario. Hitting 2nd to the green 230yds out...ball rolls off back of green into the tall grass or under leaves or beginning of forest scruff. Canít find ball. Is this stroke and distance (so I would have to walk back 230yds and re-hit with penalty stroke added) OR play a ball from where I believe it is and take a 2 stroke penalty and would I get 2 club lengths from where I believe the ball is lost. If i get 2 clubs I canít drop nearer the hole so I would be dropping in the scruff.
            I didn't happen to mention in my scenerio there is a forested area behind the green as well, similar to what you mention. To my recollection, there are no stakes. If I hit into it and lose the ball it's two strokes but I have to go quite a ways sideways to be not nearer the hole. I sure as hell am not walking back to where I hit the ball because by now another group has already teed off and is on their way to that spot.

I think I saw a simplified set of rules somewhere for the average schmuck, with enjoyment of the game being the key.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

I didn't happen to mention in my scenerio there is a forested area behind the green as well, similar to what you mention. To my recollection, there are no stakes. If I hit into it and lose the ball it's two strokes but I have to go quite a ways sideways to be not nearer the hole. I sure as hell am not walking back to where I hit the ball because by now another group has already teed off and is on their way to that spot.

I think I saw a simplified set of rules somewhere for the average schmuck, with enjoyment of the game being the key.
              Playing a round at Dragons Fire last week on the frozen tundra, there were quite a few wild bounces into forested areas behind the greens (eg hole 1). Usually we take 1 penalty stroke and drop just outside the scruff.

Obviously Iím going to have to read up. If I join the GTA AM Tour I donít want to look like a dummy not knowing the rules inside and out. Are playing partners are allowed to help with rulings.

Comment

Playing a round at Dragons Fire last week on the frozen tundra, there were quite a few wild bounces into forested areas behind the greens (eg hole 1). Usually we take 1 penalty stroke and drop just outside the scruff.

Obviously Iím going to have to read up. If I join the GTA AM Tour I donít want to look like a dummy not knowing the rules inside and out. Are playing partners are allowed to help with rulings.
                "Playing partners" is a TV term, not defined in the Rules.
                The answer to your question is "yes", other players may offer guidance on the Rules, it is not "advice" under the Rules (unless they suggest which option you should take).
                But remember, the advice you get is often worth exactly what you paid for it. It's better to learn for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

I think the rules you are referring to are the ones posted above, essentially saying you do not have to go back to the point of your last shot if your ball is lost or OB, but it carryís a 2 stroke penalty. They were talking about it with a USGA official on PGA tour radio last week and he kept emphasizing that this is only a local rule that needs to be implemented by the course. Either way I think a lot of players will benefit from it.

a buddy of mine emailed golf Canada, and they replied with:
                  ďThe new Rules do authorize the Committee to implement a Local Rule for a drop for a ball out of bounds with a two stroke penalty - but if that Local Rule has not been implemented by the Committee, it's stroke and distance for white stakes.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post

I think the rules you are referring to are the ones posted above, essentially saying you do not have to go back to the point of your last shot if your ball is lost or OB, but it carryís a 2 stroke penalty. They were talking about it with a USGA official on PGA tour radio last week and he kept emphasizing that this is only a local rule that needs to be implemented by the course. Either way I think a lot of players will benefit from it.

a buddy of mine emailed golf Canada, and they replied with:
                    ďThe new Rules do authorize the Committee to implement a Local Rule for a drop for a ball out of bounds with a two stroke penalty - but if that Local Rule has not been implemented by the Committee, it's stroke and distance for white stakes.Ē
                    And that is correct - it's not a "Rule" (or option) until implemented by the Committee in charge of the competition or course. The same Local Rule is applicable to balls that are lost.

Comment

Aside from official publications that are available online and in book form, there are numerous other reliable sources (many online) which outline the prevailing rules.

That said, there are many unreliable sources which either gloss over or omit relevant details, or which just get things dead wrong. A good guideline to follow is to only rely on sources which cite specific rules by name/id and which quote them verbatim. That is, just because some guy has taken the time to make and post a rules video on YouTube does NOT mean that the content in it is correct.

If you're going to play in sanctioned events, you should probably have thorough knowledge of penalty areas, drops, lost/OB/unplayable balls and when you are allowed to touch the ball during play.
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

I keep a rules book in my bag and playing partners and competitors are always willingly helpful , so never be ashamed to ask. Sometimes they like to help even when you don't want or need them
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Aside from official publications that are available online and in book form, there are numerous other reliable sources (many online) which outline the prevailing rules.

That said, there are many unreliable sources which either gloss over or omit relevant details, or which just get things dead wrong. A good guideline to follow is to only rely on sources which cite specific rules by name/id and which quote them verbatim. That is, just because some guy has taken the time to make and post a rules video on YouTube does NOT mean that the content in it is correct.

If you're going to play in sanctioned events, you should probably have thorough knowledge of penalty areas, drops, lost/OB/unplayable balls and when you are allowed to touch the ball during play.
                          And, unlike Dustin Johnson, read the Local Rules that are in effect for that event. Ask questions when you're not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I keep a rules book in my bag and playing partners and competitors are always willingly helpful , so never be ashamed to ask. Sometimes they like to help even when you don't want or need them
                            I know what you mean.

A long-time buddy of mine and a very avid golfer once swore that the 'line of flight' of a ball that had entered a hazard had a bearing on where he could drop his ball. After much debate, I had to drag out the rules book. I said to him "If you can find the phrase 'line of flight' anywhere in this book, then I will pay for your round.". The conversation ended quickly.
                            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

I know what you mean.

A long-time buddy of mine and a very avid golfer once swore that the 'line of flight' of a ball that had entered a hazard had a bearing on where he could drop his ball. After much debate, I had to drag out the rules book. I said to him "If you can find the phrase 'line of flight' anywhere in this book, then I will pay for your round.". The conversation ended quickly.
                              Not sure I understand the issue.

Don't you drop based on where the ball crossed over the margin of the hazard, urm edge of the penalty area?

And.... wasn't the ball travelling on it's line of flight when it did so?
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Not sure I understand the issue.

Don't you drop based on where the ball crossed over the margin of the hazard, urm edge of the penalty area?

And.... wasn't the ball travelling on it's line of flight when it did so?
                                As I recall, he hit a fairway wood quite a distance into a pond that was in front of the left half of the green (the pond was not staked and therefore could not be considered a lateral hazard). He hit from the right side of the fairway nd the ball flight was a high draw into the left side of the pond. He asserted that he was allowed to drop anywhere along the 'line of flight' of the ball, which would allow him to drop without having the pond between the ball and the green. I said that the flight of the ball was irrelevant, and that the only thing that mattered was where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. Chaos ensued.
                                Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 169,270   Posts: 1,770,303   Members: 46,318   Active Members: 269
                                Welcome to our newest member, teltec01.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X