Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rules regarding OB and Hazrds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benz View Post

As I recall, he hit a fairway wood quite a distance into a pond that was in front of the left half of the green (the pond was not staked and therefore could not be considered a lateral hazard). He hit from the right side of the fairway nd the ball flight was a high draw into the left side of the pond. He asserted that he was allowed to drop anywhere along the 'line of flight' of the ball, which would allow him to drop without having the pond between the ball and the green. I said that the flight of the ball was irrelevant, and that the only thing that mattered was where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. Chaos ensued.
    Thanks, I figgered there was more to the story.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

As I recall, he hit a fairway wood quite a distance into a pond that was in front of the left half of the green (the pond was not staked and therefore could not be considered a lateral hazard).
      On the contrary. The pond IS a penalty area. "A penalty area is: Any body of water on the course (whether or not marked by the Committee)..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
        On the contrary. The pond IS a penalty area. "A penalty area is: Any body of water on the course (whether or not marked by the Committee)..."
        Just to clarify, this happened several years ago, before the age of 'penalty areas'.

I said that the pond could not be considered a 'lateral hazard'. I did not say that it could not be considered a water hazard (i.e. penalty area in today's terminology). The pond in question was not bounded by red stakes. In their absence, the pond had to be considered a water hazard, which limited the player's options regarding where to drop.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

It would depend on whether or not it satisfied the definition of a Lateral Water Hazard. 26/3
          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
            It would depend on whether or not it satisfied the definition of a Lateral Water Hazard. 26/3
            AFIK, a lateral water hazard is one "so situated that it is not possible, or is deemed ... impracticable, to drop a ball behind" it.

In the case I described, it was clearly possible and practicable to drop a ball 'behind' the hazard, which is exactly why my buddy wanted to drop along the 'line of flight' of the ball before it crossed the margin of the hazard.
            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Ok, so I have a question regarding dropping after putting a ball into the water.

Last year at Glen Abbey I watched one of the players tee off on 14. The creek runs on an angle (using a clock reference) of about 8 to 2.

The player's tee shot went into the creek.

After a brief discussion with his playing partner, he dropped on the hole side of the creek, left of where his ball crossed into the creek but not closer to the hole than where the ball crossed the edge of the creek.

Using the clock analogy again, if the creek runs on a line from 8 to 2, he splashed into the creek at 2 but dropped along the hole side of the creek on a line running from 9 to 3.

I assume that was ok because he dropped no closer to the hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
                Ok, so I have a question regarding dropping after putting a ball into the water.

Last year at Glen Abbey I watched one of the players tee off on 14. The creek runs on an angle (using a clock reference) of about 8 to 2.

After a brief discussion with his playing partner, he dropped on the hole side of the creek, left of where his ball crossed into the creek but not closer to the hole than where the ball crossed the edge of the creek.

Using the clock analogy again, if the creek runs on a line from 8 to 2, he splashed into the creek at 2 but dropped along the hole side of the creek on a line running from 9 to 3.

That does not make sense to me unless the flight of the ball crossed over the creek then curved into it because of the creek angle. I would think that he would hit 3 from before the creek, but that drop is in the tall scruff, or he could tee it up again.

Comment

AFIK, a lateral water hazard is one "so situated that it is not possible, or is deemed ... impracticable, to drop a ball behind" it.

In the case I described, it was clearly possible and practicable to drop a ball 'behind' the hazard, which is exactly why my buddy wanted to drop along the 'line of flight' of the ball before it crossed the margin of the hazard.
                  He should have worked to 'back on line' rather than 'line of flight. The relief is only concerned with the place of reference not the route the ball took.
                  The only relevant line is that from the hole through the reference point.
                  As it wasn't marked and it seems he could have got to the correct side, it was not a lateral.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post

Was this marked red or yellow? If yellow, it sounds like he played from the wrong place.
                    If red, he was OK providing where he dropped was within 2cl of a point equidistant from the point of entry on the entry side and not nearer the hole than the entry point.

But I am a little surprised if it was red. However, the geometry of the fairway/line of creek/direction to green/position of hole could mean that 'back on line' was not practicable for that creek.
                    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

He should have worked to 'back on line' rather than 'line of flight. The relief is only concerned with the place of reference not the route the ball took.
                      The only relevant line is that from the hole through the reference point.
                      As it wasn't marked and it seems he could have got to the correct side, it was not a lateral.
                      Agreed, and that's what I told him.

He was trying to avoid having to make his next shot having the pond between himself and the green.
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Naughty
                        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post

That does not make sense to me unless the flight of the ball crossed over the creek then curved into it because of the creek angle. I would think that he would hit 3 from before the creek, but that drop is in the tall scruff, or he could tee it up again.
                          That what I would have thought. I was going to ask a rules official (not to potentially cause an issue with the player but for my own curiosity.)

Comment

Was this marked red or yellow? If yellow, it sounds like he played from the wrong place.
                            If red, he was OK providing where he dropped was within 2cl of a point equidistant from the point of entry on the entry side and not nearer the hole than the entry point.

But I am a little surprised if it was red. However, the geometry of the fairway/line of creek/direction to green/position of hole could mean that 'back on line' was not practicable for that creek.

EDITED --- I found the Shot Tracker for that hole.

I can't remember whether yellow or red.

Here's the Shot Tracker image showing how he played the hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59A61677-FCCB-4324-872A-D2EC70E1208F.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2909088

Last edited by Cdntac; Jan 13, 2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

As mentioned by aaagc, red stake it must be. On the tee side of that creek is a forest and tall scruffy marshy fun stuff which you would be lucky to advance 1 foot.

Comment

So he went equaidistant from the hole on the opposite side of the hazard, based on where it crossed the hazard, correct?

I put a ball in that same spot once and dropped in the scrub on the tee side of the hole. Stupid me for not knowing my allowed drop areas.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,092   Posts: 1,778,286   Members: 46,484   Active Members: 274
                                Welcome to our newest member, rco1vi11e.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X