Collapse

New Rules regarding OB and Hazrds

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rules regarding OB and Hazrds

I am trying to properly understand the new rules, specifically for everyday golfers, and just want to make sure I understand all the hazards correctly:

All of the following would be a 1 stroke penalty:
    Red Stake- May drop at point of entry or go back to location of last shot
    Yellow Stake- Back to location of last shot , or behind the hazard
    White Stake- Back to location of last shot

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
    I am trying to properly understand the new rules, specifically for everyday golfers, and just want to make sure I understand all the hazards correctly:

All of the following would be a 1 stroke penalty:
    Red Stake- May drop at point of entry or go back to location of last shot
    Using your terminology, which is not exactly how the R&A would put it.

Penalty Areas
    Red Stake- Back to location of last shot, behind the hazard or 2cl from point of entry
    Out of Bounds

For a proper understanding of penalty areas see

and for Out of Bounds see
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Let's say I hit it off the tee into a forested area, either on the fly or it bounced in. Can't find the ball or don't want to lol. Not sure about the stake colour. For pace of play reasons we usually drop near where it went in and take a stroke, hitting 3. I thought I read doing this should actually be 2 strokes, hitting 4. Can someone clarify? Perhaps with regards to the various coloured stakes. I didn't read or hear anything above with regards to two strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
        Let's say I hit it off the tee into a forested area, either on the fly or it bounced in. Can't find the ball or don't want to lol. Not sure about the stake colour. For pace of play reasons we usually drop near where it went in and take a stroke, hitting 3. I thought I read doing this should actually be 2 strokes, hitting 4. Can someone clarify? Perhaps with regards to the various coloured stakes. I didn't read or hear anything above with regards to two strokes.
        With the new "Local rule" the committee can decide to implement the rule where if you hit your ball OB, rather then going back to the tee to reload, you now have the ability the actually drop the ball at point of entry... even at the edge of the fairway, but it carry's a 2 stroke penalty.

So, option 1 would be go back and hit 3 from the tee, or option 2 would be to take your drop at point of entry, and hit 4 from there. I am guessing this new rule applies to OB (White stake only) as if it were a lateral hazard (Red Stake) you would be able to take your drop at point of entry regardless.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

With the new "Local rule" the committee can decide to implement the rule where if you hit your ball OB, rather then going back to the tee to reload, you now have the ability the actually drop the ball at point of entry... even at the edge of the fairway, but it carry's a 2 stroke penalty.

So, option 1 would be go back and hit 3 from the tee, or option 2 would be to take your drop at point of entry, and hit 4 from there. I am guessing this new rule applies to OB (White stake only) as if it were a lateral hazard(Red Stake) you would be able to take your drop at point of entry regardless.

Hope this makes sense.
          I believe that it is for both ob and lost ball ( not lost in a hazard) . local rule or not you will still have the option of hitting 3 off the tee if tee shot goes ob and to declare a provisional if you feel the ball might be lost.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

So, option 1 would be go back and hit 3 from the tee, or option 2 would be to take your drop at point of entry, and hit 4 from there. I am guessing this new rule applies to OB (White stake only) as if it were a lateral hazard (Red Stake) you would be able to take your drop at point of entry regardless.

Hope this makes sense.
            That's what I thought with regards to white thanks. Red (or yellow too?) being a one stroke penalty when dropping as opposed to two?

Comment

That's what I thought with regards to white thanks. Red (or yellow too?) being a one stroke penalty when dropping as opposed to two?
              I believe so, as red would give you the option to drop at point of entry regardless, and yellow would give you the option to drop right behind the hazard.

Have a look at the following (AAGC had posted it earlier), does a pretty good job explaining.

Comment

This is a very good explanation of the optional Local Rule involving 2 penalty strokes for dropping in the area where the ball went OOB or was lost

A new local rule that provides an alternative to stroke-and-distance relief for a ball that is lost outside a penalty area or out of bounds, effective January 1, 2019.
                Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

To simplify it, to me it looks like it kinda goes like this (if your club or group wishes to invoke this rule):

If you lose a ball or put one OB you can drop one where you think you lost it or where it went out of bounds. So if your tee shot goes OB, drop one where it went out of bounds and you're hitting four.

I've tried to explain this to some guys when they want to drop one at the point of OB and take a one stroke penalty. Technically, you should have been hitting 3 off the tee so you'd the be hitting your fourth from this point --- not your third.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
                    To simplify it, to me it looks like it kinda goes like this (if your club or group wishes to invoke this rule):

If you lose a ball or put one OB you can drop one where you think you lost it or where it went out of bounds. So if your tee shot goes OB, drop one where it went out of bounds and you're hitting four.

I've tried to explain this to some guys when they want to drop one at the point of OB and take a one stroke penalty. Technically, you should have been hitting 3 off the tee so you'd the be hitting your fourth from this point --- not your third.
                    The drop is quite generous according to the video above. Interesting that everybody I play with stretches the rules, including me, and takes one stroke only. I suppose this is similar to gimmies. Not technically part of the game but helps speed it up and create a scorecard that isn't so ugly to us duffers. I'm sure this will generate a lot of discussion on course when the season begins. Or not.

Comment

The drop is quite generous according to the video above. Interesting that everybody I play with stretches the rules, including me, and takes one stroke only. I suppose this is similar to gimmies. Not technically part of the game but helps speed it up and create a scorecard that isn't so ugly to us duffers. I'm sure this will generate a lot of discussion on course when the season begins. Or not.
                      In terms of pace of play, this (along with the shorter 3-minute limit to searches) should speed things up a little.

In terms of taking 1 or 2 strokes as the penalty, it makes no difference to PoP. It merely changes what number you write down.

In terms of "ugly" scorecards, is there really any point in playing an ugly game and cheating to end up with a prettier scorecard? This rule is dead simple to implement, and gives you a fairway lie every time.

Initially, I was thinking no one would bother with provisionals ever again, but there is the occasional wild short shank off the tee that a provisional would almost be guaranteed to be better. Not sure how the new rule works if your tee ball didn't reach the fairway. Does this mean you "must" hit a provisional?
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Will make your handicap more "competitive" - generally a good thing for your wallet..

Comment

yeah the area to drop being fairway edge not closest to the hole gives a nice spot. This would have been a nice option last year for me on a couple of occasions. I hit a tee shot in my league that I was certain I would find as there was a) no Out of Bounds nearby (e.g in the space between 2 fairways, but had some trees) only to search and come up empty. I'd sooner take the extra shot than make the lonely hike back to the tee deck where the next group is waiting and watch me hit 3 from the tee
                          What's in the bag?
                          TM M2
                          Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                          PING Sigma G Putter
                          Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

In terms of pace of play, this (along with the shorter 3-minute limit to searches) should speed things up a little.

In terms of taking 1 or 2 strokes as the penalty, it makes no difference to PoP. It merely changes what number you write down.

In terms of "ugly" scorecards, is there really any point in playing an ugly game and cheating to end up with a prettier scorecard? This rule is dead simple to implement, and gives you a fairway lie every time.

Initially, I was thinking no one would bother with provisionals ever again, but there is the occasional wild short shank off the tee that a provisional would almost be guaranteed to be better. Not sure how the new rule works if your tee ball didn't reach the fairway. Does this mean you "must" hit a provisional?
                            The people I play with call that a Mulligan.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

A scenerio re the drops and strokes. Our #2 at Indian Wells is the top handicap hole. Fenced ob on the left. I fly it over and I can re-tee or walk to where it went out and hit 4.. Crappy, whispy stuff on the right and same thing, lose it and hitting 4. But if I hit 230 straight ahead into the pond I can drop in front and be hitting 3? I think that's what I saw in the videos above. Better yet, our local rule lets me go to the drop area on other side of pond closer to green, but that's another story. Seems to me treating all lost balls the same way would have some semblance of logic to it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X