Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which golfer are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bailey View Post
    Who counts clubs ? Why ? Play the damn game and enjoy it , can we find any other mundane way to make this game less appealing ?
    Heck why not, lets just eliminate all the rules in competitive golf.....and make it a free for all and cheat as you go like every weekend warrior

may the best cheater win....

in a casual round for those who don't play by the rules anyways and non competitive purposes do as you please ....i can often have a tester I built in the bag or toss in a different shaft part way through a round to try it. I did have a 15th club in my bag a month or so ago in a casual , but with side bets game. One buddy , noticed and called me on it as i took his money, so I added the 4 strokes to my total score, handed back 4$ of the money I won off him as one game was played off strokes. i'll get my revenge as he is a master ball fluffer
    Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 17, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bailey
    replied
    Who counts clubs ? Why ? Play the damn game and enjoy it , can we find any other mundane way to make this game less appealing ?

Leave a comment:

• elmeroil
    replied
    I wouldn't count anyones clubs.

Leave a comment:

• <<BSD>>
    replied
    That's one stupid rule in my mind. Carry and play with 100 clubs if you must...you'd still have to hit the damn ball and put in the hole...lol.
    s long as the clubs and balls are legal, couldn't care less.

Leave a comment:

• 4wedges
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

Never played or refereed with secret service involved. But secret service don't over-ride the Rules of golf, just have to respect their responsibility, and they have to respect mine.
    If I'm playing with someone who has Secret Service with him, he can do what he wants. Those guys are large and carry guns!

Leave a comment:

• johnny canuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post

Just out of curiosity, what was it that he didn't understand?

I ask because many people I know are not even aware of all of the options for an unplayable ball.
    He tried to walk back from where he picked up, but not on a straight line between his ball in the flag. He was moving on a 45 degree angle into the fairway so that he could get a clean view of the flag.

For those that don't know, with an Unplayable you can drop within 2 clublengths of where the ball is - no nearer to the hole, play again from where you last played, or go as far back as you like, as long as you keep in a straight line from where the ball is lying and the flag. All drops incur a one stroke penalty.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

Never played or refereed with secret service involved. But secret service don't over-ride the Rules of golf, just have to respect their responsibility, and they have to respect mine.
    In theory but allegedly the rules of golf do not apply when the POTUS is playing:

https://www.esquire.com/sports/a2645...nder-in-cheat/

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/10-...eating-at-golf

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    What if his Secret Service detail won't let you close to his bag?

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    replied
    What if his Secret Service detail won't let you close to his bag?

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    If it's a match that means something, eg, a club event, I will check the opponent's bag, and make sure that I tell him or her before the round begins if there are more than 14.
    As a referee, I always introduce myself to the players (and caddies) on the first tee and ask them to check the number of clubs. I also tell them that I'm there to apply the Rules and help them with that, finishing by asking them to "play nice and don't cheat", which usually ends on a light-hearted note.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post

Which means that you could be 4 down after 2 holes. Whoops.....
    It took me a second, but I believe you're right!.

Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

The penalty is a "match adjustment" - not loss of hole. You just adjust the status of the match by up to 2 holes.
    Which means that you could be 4 down after 2 holes. Whoops.....

Leave a comment:

• WeekendDuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

The penalty is a "match adjustment" - not loss of hole. You just adjust the status of the match by up to 2 holes.

You are now allowed to carry the extra club(s) if you discover it in time. IIRC under the previous rules, you were not allowed to bring the excess clubs with you, even if you took them out of the bag and put them somewhere else in the cart. You can now declare what you're doing and put them aside or upside down in the bag or some other clear way of differentiating them. Good change, IMO.
    Thanks for that, I forgot there was a two-hole max penalty - or maybe I never knew that in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Played a match 2 weeks ago and my opponent from another club was going to take an unplayable drop. He didn't understand the line of sight rule correctly and I stopped him before he took an incorrect drop.
    Just out of curiosity, what was it that he didn't understand?

I ask because many people I know are not even aware of all of the options for an unplayable ball.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by mpare View Post
    I always count my clubs to make sure there aren't more than 14 in the bag. I never go out of my way to count my opponents. However, if I noticed that my opponent had more than 14 clubs, then I'd tell him before we teed off. Years ago, as a junior in Maine I told my opponent, a man much older than me, that he had 15 clubs in his bag, and that he might want to remove one. He responded angrily that I should mind my own business. I smiled and told him that the pro was only a few feet away, and that we should have a chat with him. The extra club was removed. Oh, and he lost the match, which was played in 1966. The encounter stuck with me.
    You're a better man than I, Mike.

IMO, if I advise him that he's about to breach a rule and he tells me to mind my own business, then I will do exactly that. Out on the course, it is my business to know whether my opponent has breached any rules and to act accordingly within the rules. At the appropriate time of my choice, I would call him on it.

That approach contradicts how I would respond if my opponent made an honest mistake. Again, IMO, two completely different scenarios.

Leave a comment:

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 175,090   Posts: 1,832,663   Members: 47,363   Active Members: 275
Welcome to our newest member, Bobier21Golf.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
X