Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which golfer are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
    I would tell my opponent right away. Winning by pulling out a “gotcha” halfway through the match has no appeal to me.
    This ^^^^

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Is the penalty not a maximum of 2 holes ?
    It is.

I checked, in case the new rules were different.

Two things I learned:

The penalty is a "match adjustment" - not loss of hole. You just adjust the status of the match by up to 2 holes.

You are now allowed to carry the extra club(s) if you discover it in time. IIRC under the previous rules, you were not allowed to bring the excess clubs with you, even if you took them out of the bag and put them somewhere else in the cart. You can now declare what you're doing and put them aside or upside down in the bag or some other clear way of differentiating them. Good change, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post
    How about this - you're playing a match and your opponent has more than 14 clubs but you don't notice until a few holes have already been played. The penalty for your opponent is loss of every hole played thus far. Do you call it or not?
    Is the penalty not a maximum of 2 holes ?

Leave a comment:

• WeekendDuff
    replied
    How about this - you're playing a match and your opponent has more than 14 clubs but you don't notice until a few holes have already been played. The penalty for your opponent is loss of every hole played thus far. Do you call it or not?

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
    9/10 I would definitely inform my opponent. The other time is reserved for for those Who are known cheaters/sandbaggers.
    I’m with you on this.

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    I wouldn’t count someone’s clubs but if I did notice would tell them right away and if it was match play it would be my business because it would be an unfair advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Pimento Cheese
    replied
    If I were in a tournament, which I never have been, I suppose I would draw my opponent's attention to it.

But I only ever play casual rounds, and I typically only play against people who are at a similar skill level to myself, which is "break 90 on a good day." An extra club is not going to make a difference to anyone at that skill level, so I'd feel like an a-hole if I called him/her on it. They'd be unlikely to use all fifteen clubs anyway, and honestly, I'd feel pretty good at my chances of beating a 20+ handicapper who tried to go through an entire bag of fourteen, let alone fifteen clubs in one round, so let 'em try.

Leave a comment:

• TJCams
    replied
    If I were ever in a competitive match I probably wouldn't count my opponents, unless it seemed obvious they were hauling a ton of clubs. I would make sure I don't have more than allowed, and pretty much never carry more than the allowed. I am just a casual weekend warrior. Not sure I have ever played a competitive game, unless it was way back when I had my junior membership at the local 9 hole muni many years ago.

Leave a comment:

• CanadaCal
    replied
    Wow. Some of you guys just play a lot more serious golf then I do.

Unless money, prizes, or some sort of status is involved. You can carry 3 full bags for all I care.

I would never think or even care, to count their clubs if paired up on a weekend with others.

I’d likely be more interested to hit one of their clubs if they had anything good.

Leave a comment:

• johnny canuck
    replied
    I've probably played over 100 club match play and pennant matches in the past 12 years, never once counted an opponents clubs.

If I win, I want to do it on merit alone, not a technicality.

Played a match 2 weeks ago and my opponent from another club was going to take an unplayable drop. He didn't understand the line of sight rule correctly and I stopped him before he took an incorrect drop. I explained his 3 options and then gave him the courtesy of replacing the ball to it's original spot and attempting to play it as he didn't fully grasp the rule.

He ended up doing this, not telling me, and it caused confusion on the green when I thought I'd won the hole and the match.

In the end, I got the victory and the match ended in good spirits, which is always nice.

Leave a comment:

• wlorcb
    replied
    It would never occur to me to count someones clubs, but I would immediately bring it to their attention as soon as I noticed it. SWMBO does not like to play in tournaments, but can be cajoled every once in a while. Our club was short so they press ganged her into playing. Her opponent never let up about minor rule infractions and etiquette(SWMBO had not been playing long). After their match was over I was walking past where this lady had her clubs. Sure enough she had 17 clubs in the bag!

Leave a comment:

• gatsby
    replied
    The only time I have ever counted was prior to a 4 ball match. MY partner had half the pro shop in his bag perhaps 21 plus clubs. He comes lugging the up to our start and mutters "Jaysus this bag is heavy. No need to look any further than the no space left to put another club in there. I pointed out to him and in defense he said I only have my 14 dan, the others are the pros!. lol. We got it straightened and lightened his load. The permanent doziness has been attributed to his life long career in the Artillery.

Leave a comment:

• wigler
    replied
    Rarely count my own as I 'never' have more than 14 in the bag. Only have the 14. lol
    Don't think I have ever counted someone else's clubs on purpose. I do remember one time last year I noticed a very full bag during a fun round (which most of my rounds are). Me and my buddy paired up with another twosome. Decided to go count. He had 19 clubs in the bag!! lol

Leave a comment:

• miles
    replied
    I was in a turnoment years ago, my opponent counted my clubs on 18 green when I would have won beating him out by one stroke.
    He told the commette he knew I had an extra club from first hole and didn’t say anything to give me a chance to correct it.
    he was disqualified for not telling me on one.
    i just forgot to pull and leave the extra club in my car (I had 4 woods)
    Crama is a ***** for him!

i would tell before tee off

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
    I don't play competitive golf so I cannot give a real answer.

I also only ever carry 12-13 so I would offer to store it for them. Likely also not legit, but amusing!
    I don't believe it would be illegal and that you could put an opponents extra club in your bag before the match has officially started, as long as it didn't bring you over the 14 club limit. He couldn't use it but , you could.

Leave a comment:

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 175,090   Posts: 1,832,657   Members: 47,363   Active Members: 275
Welcome to our newest member, Bobier21Golf.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
X