Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which golfer are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr.poker View Post
    I never check my opponents bags, but if I did notice that at a tournament I would let the player know before he/she teed off. Why would I want to win that way and ruin the other players day? Pretty lame in my books if you don't say anything.
    And if it came up after the round (and i lost), I wouldn't care either!!!!!

How often does one use all 14 clubs in a round anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
      Iím not on any tour , I go out and play my game , my score is what matters to me not the rest of my group . If you are in my foursome , play by whatever rules you want , its a game that relaxes me . Iíll be damed if Iím going to stress over the amount of clubs someone else has , while I am trying to relax .
      Spin it however you want guys , its a game and itís fun . Try it , you may like it.
      I used to argue that, rather forcefully.

But years of playing with a guy that I (and many others) would refer to as a "rules Nazi" have changed my mind. It took about 60 rounds with him for me to get what he'd been saying. In part, because he was generally being an a-hole in how he said it!

Here's the thing: If you keep score, you should play by the rules - ALL the rules. Otherwise you don't really know what your score is. You've got some number that represents the number of strokes you took on a golf course under.... arbitrary rules.

That's all fine, but..... why not just play by all the rules (or at least as many as you can figure out)? Then you'd have a score that's comparable to anyone else in the world who plays by the rules. Otherwise.... it's kinda a made up number, isn't it? As my friend would put it, "why even count your strokes, just make up a number and put it down". The attitude he took would piss me off, but in the long run he had a point.

This approach also fits with "try it, you may like it".
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

as Benz says, in a casual game break the rules, make up your own rules, cheat all you want...nobody cares...then score doesn't matter at all...and its all for fun, which I absolutely endorse for the occasional golfer
        Thanks for helping to clarify that my comment was in regard to 'casual' play, not competitive play (aka 'real golf').
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

I'm actually quite surprised by some of the answers. If you're going to play a game no matter what game it is ,the rules are there for a reason.If you decide to play golf and care not for the rules, what's the use of playing. You might as well go to a range and hit balls. Protocol and etiquette is what makes golf such a great sport or game.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
            I'm actually quite surprised by some of the answers. If you're going to play a game no matter what game it is ,the rules are there for a reason.If you decide to play golf and care not for the rules, what's the use of playing. You might as well go to a range and hit balls. Protocol and etiquette is what makes golf such a great sport or game.
            But playing a course is more fun and interesting so , let people do what they want.....HOWEVER , as Iggy says, there is no point in these folks keeping score as it has zero meaning,....i mean I can bend the rules and shoot under par every round.,..

so do as you please rules wise, but is so, leave the pencil and scorecard at the first tee
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

so do as you please rules wise, but is so, leave the pencil and scorecard at the first tee
              Well said.
              Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Would never count, or care, how many clubs an opponent has in their bag. As a matter of fact in this day and age not too sure if 14 is the right number for more experienced players

I have 14 and to be truthful probably seldom hit two of them. 3 and 5 wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Netz View Post
                  Would never count, or care, how many clubs an opponent has in their bag. As a matter of fact in this day and age not too sure if 14 is the right number for more experienced players

I have 14 and to be truthful probably seldom hit two of them. 3 and 5 wood.
                  In a match play event, that would be your prerogative. However, if you were a competitor in a stroke play event, what would you do?
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,815,019   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
                  Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                  X