Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Slow Play Reminder as we start the new season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

Agree completely.

IMO, Slugger and the Tour need to be far more circumspect in their views on this matter. Slugger may not want to affect a player's livelihood by the click of a stopwatch. Fair enough. However, if the slow play issue is not addressed and viewership declines as a result (I already do not bother to watch golf for this reason), then all players will be affected in the form of lower purses and a decline in the game's popularity.

Let's see how the livelihoods of some of these marginal players would be affected if they could no longer play on Tour and had to become Assistants for the rest of their careers.
    There are rules and frankly if a Tour Player said they have ADHD and BDC (Kevin Na, JB, Crane.....) and then said to Slugger (what a stoopid name btw) that their livlihood is affected by these imbeciles breaking rules, what would he say?

And btw who cares if these players are affected? Would you not watch golf because BDC isn't playing in a tournament? And who says they would not adapt to PLAYING BY THE RULES?

An incorrect comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post
      Doesn't bother me that DeShampoo takes a little longer than the average. Entertaining to watch....!
      It doesn't bother me either. 90% of my golf watching is done via recorded material so if there's something , or a certain someone , I don't want to watch....i just FF through that part.

I followed BDC for 4 holes in a practice round at the Masters in 2018, he wasn't slower than any other player we followed. Obviously, this particular shot being discussed was excessive, ....most every player has those once in a while, perhaps some more than others....like JB.

this is an issue for those who play on the tour to address with Tour Officials. It is their livelihood and work environment, so just as with you or I, if there is something undesirable in the work environment that prevents us from doing our job, we need to raise the issue or just accept it. Seems, many are content to accept it, others perhaps not.

Tour isnt stupid, they see and hear....but is quite tight lipped about discipline, so have quite likely at least spoken to DDC about this.

While I thank a shot clock eliminates all subjectivity and would be easy to implement...i doubt we see one implemented any time soon on the PGA tour
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Holy Cow, J. B. Holmes gets to tee off in the first group Thursday at The BMW, that could slowdown play all day for the groups following, maybe watching live golf in prime time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
          Holy Cow, J. B. Holmes gets to tee off in the first group Thursday at The BMW, that could slowdown play all day for the groups following, maybe watching live golf in prime time.
          I would be curious as to how long that threesome takes to complete the round. I actually find it hard to believe the Tour hasn't set some standards, some measures, anything. It's like each player's routine, no matter how superfluous to actual results is sacred. nonsense.

Comment

• Had a classic (read irritating but altogether expected) experience at the course this morning.

We play early and fast. So when the club has split tees on the day of a tourney, the way it unfolds can be infuriating. Not going to rant about that today.

So our threesome tees off the back ~ 7:35. Last group off both nines to be ~ 8:30. We finish 18 ~ 8:50. Nobody in sight on one (dogleg par 5) but that doesn't mean we're in the clear by any stretch.

We quickly finish one and get to the second tee, a 375 yard par four. Foursome in carts ahead are at the second green. We note two older women walking who are on the third green and no one else on three.

We tee off on two and end up having to wait a bit to hit our second shots as the group ahead ambles off the green. We finished holing out as the ahead-group's 4th golfer duffs one less than 10 yards into the fescue on his right. (He was a lefty and so really had to work hard to pull that off.) All four are looking for his ball. They're all playing the blues (hmmm).

We roll the dice and decide to ask if we can play through -- unconventional in that they've effectively already teed off but we have no interest in getting stuck behind them. We hustle over and arrive just after Reload Man hits his second tee shot. I ask if we can play through.

Buddy says "I guess so, though you're just going to run into some woman ahead of us". I took that opening and said "OK, thanks, we'll play through".

Other Buddy sniffs, as if to say "The audacity of asking to play through and accepting our half-hearted acquiescence."

We ignore it and two of us tee off. One of us thanks them and I wait for our third to tee off at a shorter tee. Yet Another Buddy has a stopwatch on and decides I didn't say thank you quickly enough and says "You're welcome".

They proceed to shadow us up the fairway (our older member in a cart, two of us walking). We hit our second shots. Three of them have gone way right (that never happens on a course) -- towards a pond, long rough and a bunker. So their safari had started.

We then finish three, play four (a par three) and five (a par four) and they had not teed off on four. We caught up to the two walking, older women ahead on eight but were only held up on that hole and nine for a total of less than two minutes. We finished our eighteen holes in 2:30 and had been sitting on the patio for 45 minutes when the Fore Buddies made it to the tenth tee.

Observations/sweeping generalizations:
            1. These guys were clueless about their position on the course. They had no idea that as they stood on the third tee, the group ahead (the two women who they'd implicitly labelled as slow) were likely finishing four. If they were the least bit observant, they would have noted that we came out of nowhere and so must be playing quickly.
            2. Men always assume women are slow.
            3. People (men) don't like being passed. This means the vast majority won't offer to let people play through and even then will only grudgingly agree to a request to play through.
            4. We didn't stripe it as we were passing them but it would seem clear to someone with even a modicum of intelligence that we kept the ball in front of us. Meanwhile, at least three of them had hit their tee shots wide right.
            5. I cannot for the life of me think of why a group would want another crawling up their arses for at least the next seven holes, unless they don't give a f_uck about other people.
            6. Just guessing here but the Fore Buddies are likely the types who want to crawl up others' arses in the left lane of the 401 but are quite happy to camp (i.e. do the equivalent of 90 or 95) in the left lane of a golf course.

WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
              Observations/sweeping generalizations:
              1. These guys were clueless about their position on the course. They had no idea that as they stood on the third tee, the group ahead (the two women who they'd implicitly labelled as slow) were likely finishing four. If they were the least bit observant, they would have noted that we came out of nowhere and so must be playing quickly.
              2. Men always assume women are slow.
              3. People (men) don't like being passed. This means the vast majority won't offer to let people play through and even then will only grudgingly agree to a request to play through.
              4. We didn't stripe it as we were passing them but it would seem clear to someone with even a modicum of intelligence that we kept the ball in front of us. Meanwhile, at least three of them had hit their tee shots wide right.
              5. I cannot for the life of me think of why a group would want another crawling up their arses for at least the next seven holes, unless they don't give a f_uck about other people.
              6. Just guessing here but the Fore Buddies are likely the types who want to crawl up others' arses in the left lane of the 401 but are quite happy to camp (i.e. do the equivalent of 90 or 95) in the left lane of a golf course.
              Yes, but there are some out there who would be of the opinion "Well, they're on pace to play a 2:35 front nine, so we wouldn't want to ruin their 'unique golf experience' by politely asking them if they would let a clearly faster group play through. So, perhaps you and the groups behind you could just talk amongst yourselves while you're waiting. Oh, and bring sunscreen, and maybe a book. And, that section in the Rules of Golf regarding etiquette is really nothing but a list of suggestions that are not really binding.".
              Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,105   Posts: 1,787,916   Members: 46,720   Active Members: 362
              Welcome to our newest member, burly89.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
              X