Collapse

New Handicap system

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Handicap system

Nice to merge all worldwide systems into one.

I don't think this is something that is necessarily needed. The impact for us in Canada will be minimal(hey maybe all this bs about factor and index will finally go away). The only thing this has going for it is the ability to change the slope and/or rating of a course based on conditions. If this is not implemented it is just a waste of the USGA's money to force all the others to conform to the new standard. I would really like to see some concrete explanations of how course and weather conditions are going to be factored in. Is this going to be automatic based on general weather for an area? Dependent on how lazy your pro is? Sent in to a general central database?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
      I don't think this is something that is necessarily needed. The impact for us in Canada will be minimal(hey maybe all this bs about factor and index will finally go away). The only thing this has going for it is the ability to change the slope and/or rating of a course based on conditions. If this is not implemented it is just a waste of the USGA's money to force all the others to conform to the new standard. I would really like to see some concrete explanations of how course and weather conditions are going to be factored in. Is this going to be automatic based on general weather for an area? Dependent on how lazy your pro is? Sent in to a general central database?
      the weather issue is the interesting one for me as well.

only a small percentage of golfers keep an official handicap for competition purposes, but any way to make the system more fair is always welcomed.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Hi --- I don't know for sure, but I infer from the material at the USGA site, that scores posted immediately / the same day will be automatically examined by the software, and, at a certain course (or city? or area?) if a statistically significant number of players posts scores statistically significantly higher than their expected / handicapped scores, the program will infer that conditions must have been bad, then lower those scores by some method, for inclusion in the handicap formula. (Just try saying that in one breath!)

Comment

I'm not sure I will notice a difference.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

it's an interesting concept.

If I look at the two places I play all my golf these days, Ontario and Arizona, my scoring is certainly better in Arizona and that is in part due to the better weather there. At my age , I am less tight and more lose in the heat so feel and play better there.

Another factor that course difficulties might not capture is if I spray the ball in the desert , I can in many cases play the ball from the desert versus here where I can but less frequently with tree and fescue lined courses and a penalty is more often the result.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'm sure you won't notice a difference, Jeff. Excellence is not subject to the vagaries of weather.

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
              I'm not sure I will notice a difference.
              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                Hi --- I don't know for sure, but I infer from the material at the USGA site, that scores posted immediately / the same day will be automatically examined by the software, and, at a certain course (or city? or area?) if a statistically significant number of players posts scores statistically significantly higher than their expected / handicapped scores, the program will infer that conditions must have been bad, then lower those scores by some method, for inclusion in the handicap formula. (Just try saying that in one breath!)
                It will be based on all scores on the day on that particular course. They will be processed just after midnight local time.

Similar to the systems in use for individual competitions in Britain and the rest of Europe and the Daily Score Adjustment system already in use in Australia.
                Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Sent in to a general central database?
                  Yes. See my post above.

Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

I don't think this is something that is necessarily needed. The impact for us in Canada will be minimal(hey maybe all this bs about factor and index will finally go away).
                    It's not about national golf but international movement of golfers.

There are masses of golfers taking golfing holidays away from home.
                    UK, Germany to Spain.Portugal, Florida, the Carolinas, South Africa, Turkey.
                    North America, Asia to Scotland, rest of Britain, Southern Europe
                    All over the world to Asia and the Middle East.
                    I would guess that over half of the members at my club have played outside the UK more than once.
                    At present it is almost impossible to play any competitive golf or even social golf with local because handicaps are not interchangeable.
                    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post

It's not about national golf but international movement of golfers.

There are masses of golfers taking golfing holidays away from home.
                      UK, Germany to Spain.Portugal, Florida, the Carolinas, South Africa, Turkey.
                      North America, Asia to Scotland, rest of Britain, Southern Europe
                      All over the world to Asia and the Middle East.
                      I would guess that over half of the members at my club have played outside the UK more than once.
                      At present it is almost impossible to play any competitive golf or even social golf with local because handicaps are not interchangeable.
                      So what does this affect? 1% of the golfing population? I can't think of a single person I know that plays competitive golf outside of their country. And does it matter for social golf? I suppose if you are putting a sheckle or 2 on the game then maybe, but's what's the net difference? A stroke or so?

I'm not arguing it makes sense to have one system for the world but I don't really see the above reasons as a driving factor that will affect the masses of golfers.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                        it's an interesting concept.

Another factor that course difficulties might not capture is if I spray the ball in the desert , I can in many cases play the ball from the desert versus here where I can but less frequently with tree and fescue lined courses and a penalty is more often the result.
                        yes but that would already be factored(or indexed ) in to the ratings already

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                          That would seem to be the only way to do it that would involve minimal work by the pro shop staff. OTOH, this means that every club would need to have a h/c PC that is connected to the internet and is using some version of validated h/c s/w and the club is up to date with their regional golf authority membership.
                          And on the other other hand, this does not help SWMBO and I when we are the only golfers out at our course in awful weather!

Comment

Hi wlorcbbc --- I think that aaagc covered it; the impact of bad weather has to be automated, and not dependent on a guy in the pro shop entering 'cloudy with light rain' into the computer.

Jeffc --- yes you're correct, I think, that not many people are affected; but I will note that the USGA, R&A, etc. are simplifying the rules and globalizing the handicap system in an effort to attract people to the game. aaagc (again) points out that previously, Canadians were unable to enter scores from, say, Germany, into the handicap system. Now they can. Proper handicaps make it possible to have a friendly and fair wager on a game no matter how good you are, or where you're playing.

(I have sort of the same 'who cares' thought when I see posts about fridges or soccer in the 'Local Pub'.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

I can't think of a single person I know that plays competitive golf outside of their country.
                              That is the difference between North America (and I suspect Canada in particular). Relatively few have a handicap and play 'tournament' (competition) golf. And even fewer venture outside their own country.
                              That is certainly not the situation in the rest of the world. Although there are certainly many visitors to Scotland and Ireland from over there.

These are a couple of the many UK based companies that cater for this big business..
                              Exclusive experiences, value for money and exceptional customer service from the world's largest golf travel company. Book the latest deals in the UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, America and worldwide.

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/hol...idays/overview

And there are similar ones all over Europe

At least half a dozen of my friends maintain two handicaps, one for the UK and one for their time in Spain or elsewhere outside the UK. I had a USGA handicap for a few years when I used to holiday in Florida.

Incidentally, in the UK, virtually all social golf is played with handicaps, although only formal competitions affect handicap changes.
                              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X