/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Driving Range Etiquette

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Range Etiquette

Spent a few hours on the range today and saw a number of different interesting situations. Keep in mind this a public and fairly heavy traffic range. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these. One being an absolute no-no and guy got called out after 4 balls hits.

Situation 1: Older gentlemen has a spot in the middle of the range, hits about half his balls. Picks up his bag and moves over to the chipping area but takes about 5-7 balls with him. So he has say 30 balls left in his basket in 'his' spot. Few minutes later another guy comes over and takes that same spot. Older guy comes back and says its his and he's using it. But the new guy has a bunch of balls spilled out on the spot and refuses to move. Older gentlemen gives up, takes his basket and moves along.

Situation 2: Close to situation 1 however I noticed 2 guys doing this(keep in mind range is getting busy at this point). Guys have their spot. Hit a few balls. Then go chip for a few minutes. Then go putt for a few minutes. Then go chip. Then come back and hit more balls. Obviously their bag is still in their spot the whole time. This just seems like a bit of a ***** move to me.

Situation 3: This driving range has a green with 2 bunkers. One guy is in the bunker hitting shots to a pin. A guy from his range spot starts hitting lob shots to the chipping green. So you have a guy from the range hitting a 30-35 yard lob shot with a guy in the bunker about 8-10 yards to the right of him hitting out a of bunker. 3-4 balls into this guy in the bunker turns around and yells 'What the hell are you doing?!'. Range idiot apologies and stops.

Situation 4: Happened to me. As a lefty I try and take the spots at the end or beginning of the range because of my back swing. I had a guy take the spot to my left but puts his balls down 5 yards behind where everyone was hitting. So basically I'm in prime time shank area. I asked him to please move forward. He laughed and asked me if I was the grass police? I said no but told him I've been hit by a guy on the range doing exactly what he was doing. Thankfully he move up.

It amazes me how oblivious people are to everyone around them. All it takes is one shank for someone to be seriously hurt.
    Last edited by MK7GTI; Aug 14, 2019, 06:27 PM.

1. The guy who left is out of luck. Bummer.
    2. Those guys are tools.
    3. Kinda moronic.
    4. This is why a range should always have ropes to clearly designate the hitting area.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybiarritz View Post
      1. The guy who left is out of luck. Bummer.
      2. Those guys are tools.
      3. Kinda moronic.
      4. This is why a range should always have ropes to clearly designate the hitting area.

YES
      YES
      YES
      YES

OP was it Bloomigton Downs by any chance?
      plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

YES
        YES
        YES
        YES

OP was it Bloomigton Downs by any chance?
        Good guess. Considering my location its an easy guess though haha.

Comment

Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post

Good guess. Considering my location its an easy guess though haha.
          Actually did not notice your location, your description was spot on for what I have seen there..

20+ years a go had lessons there from Dave Johnston's golf academy.
          Great guy retired I think: https://davejohnstongolf.ca
          Last edited by 4underthru9; Aug 14, 2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Big difference between a skank and a shank..
            My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by golf nut View Post
              Big difference between a skank and a shank..
              It was a Skank hitting a Shank.

Comment

Leaving ur bag to 'save ur spot' when it is busy is top notch jackassery.

At least the idiot hitting flops stopped in ur case. Last year at Centennial, a guy with no ability to hit a decent shot on the range starts showing off for his lady friend with flop shots at a decently full chipping green. He blades one clear across the green to me. Unfazed, he takes aim at another short pin with a golfer right in line with his FULL swing and starts taking practice swings before his attempt. The gentleman in danger asks him what the hell he's doing and he gets all huffy about it telling him to move along because he was there first and he's gonna shoot his flop shot. Guy clears out so I walk over and try to reason with him but got nowhere fast and had to walk away before i turned his *** into my new clubhead cover. I hope he was just drunk but my fear is he lives every day like this. Such is life at a public range.

Comment

Let's not forget the case of the local 'range pro' who purchases a bucket of balls, takes his spot on the range, but then proceeds to give an extended lesson to a buddy who also has his own spot. Any movement toward the spot 'held' by the range pro is met with "Hey. That's my spot!", either verbally or with body language. Of course, this sort of bullshit takes place in the middle of the summer when the range tends to be busy.
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Yeah, as it pertains specifically to #1, I've gone to the range and there are balls left over in a basket and no one is around. It happens. I've left balls as I had to get to my tee time so I figured I paying it forward.
                    How was dude supposed to know the old guy was just over at the chipping area and intended to come back? As others said, bummer but that's life.
                    What's in the bag?
                    TM M2
                    Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                    PING Sigma G Putter
                    Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

You bought a bucket of balls for the range, not the right to a stall. If you want to leave, leave. And if you want the rest of your balls, take them with you and bring them back to a different stall. It's like people on the course who think that their green fees entitled them to their own spot in the day's rotation - not letting anyone through, stopping at the half-way house and expecting that everyone behind them will wait for them to appear again. What's up with that entitlement?

Comment

OP
                        Sounds like this range is CLOWN CITY.

I can't remember a time at the range out here with stupid drama...and I don't think we (Vancouver) are void of golf idiots....guess I've been kinda lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                          Yeah, as it pertains specifically to #1, I've gone to the range and there are balls left over in a basket and no one is around. It happens. I've left balls as I had to get to my tee time so I figured I paying it forward.
                          How was dude supposed to know the old guy was just over at the chipping area and intended to come back? As others said, bummer but that's life.
                          I was walking up to the range at Royal Ontario the other day, and noticed the staff member not only picked up the empty baskets, but also returned the unused balls back to the machine. I’ve never seen that? I guess they’ve got too many cheap basterds NOT buying a bucket.
                          – Greg

Comment

Its a public driving range, the majority of customers are not "regular" golfers and most will have little knowledge of what we might consider "proper"

my daughter and 3 of their friends are going to the range this weekend, none of them have really ever played the game, they are just going for something fun to do
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'm sure there's not a single TGN'r who would stoop to these levels!?
                              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X