/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Driving Range Etiquette

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrAdam View Post

I would think you would be liable as a reasonable and prudent person wouldn’t hit a golf shot if there was a chance they could hit someone.

We wait for people to hit their balls crossed over onto our fairway then get out of the way .I don’t see how this is any different t
    It's completely different!

The fairway is part of the course and balls can end up anywhere.

The range is a restricted area for practice. You can NEVER go out to pick up balls on the range. The only exception is if your clubhead comes off, and you need to get everyone to quit hitting for a moment while you (or the ball retriever guy) goes and gets it.

We are talking about guys cheaping out on buying a bucket, then the rest of us are supposed to just wait and not hit while they grab a few balls to warm up with?

Legally one might still be liable, I have no idea. But morally? Ready, aim.....
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by MattM97 View Post
      I had my bucket already so kinda just tucked it under my bag and went about my business, come back and someone swiped my bucket.
      That’s pretty low. It seems that golfers have become like the rest of society.
      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
        "I would not feel one ounce of guilt if they got struck by my shanks and duck hooks." Good point; you should also try to give jay walkers a gentle bump --- say, below 20 km per hour --- to remind them of their unreasonable behaviour.
        LOL
        u joke but I was a passenger while my idiot buddy (17 at the time) took this approach to a pedestrian crossing when he had an advance turn. He meant to just pretend to nudge him by creeping up on him, but ended up bumping the guy and spilling an entire no frills bag onto the street. All in all we wasted the entire light waiting for the groceries to be picked up by a foreigner berating us with his heavy accent. Worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

That’s pretty low. It seems that golfers have become like the rest of society.
          Yeah I wasn't exactly happy but then again they could have swiped something from my bag. I just bought another bucket and hit that.

I'll just pretend it was some kid who took it, down on their luck with a drive for golf hoping one day to go pro. Although it was probably the exact opposite of who actually took it.
          In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S - 9° Draw
          Cobra King F7 - Tensei Blue 65 - S Flex - 15.5°D
          Ping G410 - Alta CB 70R - 19°
          Srixon Z585/785 - AMT Tour White S300
          MD3 51° - Glide Stealth 2.0 56° - Glide 60°
          Edel E3 - TP Mills Handmade - SIK Tour Proto - & more
          TP5-X
          Ping Pioneer

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

It's completely different!

The fairway is part of the course and balls can end up anywhere.

The range is a restricted area for practice. You can NEVER go out to pick up balls on the range. The only exception is if your clubhead comes off, and you need to get everyone to quit hitting for a moment while you (or the ball retriever guy) goes and gets it.

We are talking about guys cheaping out on buying a bucket, then the rest of us are supposed to just wait and not hit while they grab a few balls to warm up with?

Legally one might still be liable, I have no idea. But morally? Ready, aim.....

Exactly, based on the common notion and understanding that a customer is never to go out onto the range, me as another customer should be able to reasonably expect that no idiot would do that. Again I never said I'd do it on purpose unlike when the range ball collector goes out there. For me specifically, like many other lefties, I try to take an end stall. If it just so happens I'm at the left end, I can't see anyone that decides to walk out onto the range behind me. If I duck hook it and hit someone, wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Comment

Public ranges are a sh*t show. All sorts of special people out there. Love the guy hitting into the practice green with the bunker that one is amazing

Comment

Why is the one guy using range balls on the chipping green?

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post

LOL
                  u joke but I was a passenger while my idiot buddy (17 at the time) took this approach to a pedestrian crossing when he had an advance turn. He meant to just pretend to nudge him by creeping up on him, but ended up bumping the guy and spilling an entire no frills bag onto the street. All in all we wasted the entire light waiting for the groceries to be picked up by a foreigner berating us with his heavy accent. Worth it.
                  So, your time was wasted after hitting a pedestrian and watching him have to collect his groceries off the street?

I guess the neither you nor your idiot friend ever thought to help the guy after hitting him.

After all, the guy was a foreigner with a heavy accent, right?

Why would you tell this story, and why was this incident 'worth it'?
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

So, your time was wasted after hitting a pedestrian and watching him have to collect his groceries off the street?

I guess the neither you nor your idiot friend ever thought to help the guy after hitting him.

After all, the guy was a foreigner with a heavy accent, right?

Why would you tell this story, and why was this incident 'worth it'?
                    settle down, I was joking. It is obviously a stupid teenager thing to do. And as for not getting out to help, I guess that would be self preservation.

Comment

Yes
                      Yes
                      Yes
                      Yes

Comment

Dude yesterday on the range (at a Club) had his bag laying partly across one stall, but playing another. I wasn’t sure if he was preventing other players from playing that spot beside him (social distancing), but two people played there anyway, ignoring his bag sitting there.

Thought it was rude he didn’t move the bag to give people adequate space. Range access is limited and tightly controlled there, so it’s not up to him to police distancing. I think he was just being a dlck. and I was a guest, so I didn’t say anything.

And speaking of controlling access, we couldn’t get spots on the range as other players were not following the rules about ONLY hitting balls 15 minutes prior. But without any of us complaining, the Starter came over and shooed them all away. He knew our group (and only our group) could hit balls at that time. Impressive actually.
                        Last edited by synergy; Sep 15, 2020, 07:15 AM.
                        – Greg

Comment

So this happened 2 hours ago
                          I get my bucket , find a stall with a little turf left almost at end of the range.
                          I’m five or so wedges in “ Pro “ shows up to my left with 10 or 12 year old student and Mom to oversee. No problem right ? He literally talked for 50 of the 60 minutes I was there.
                          I thanked him for his endless and sometimes mindless ( my 7iron goes 170 WFCS ) chatter to which I was advised to go elsewhere as this is a public place. I suggested a private business open to the public was more accurate and I had every right to enjoy it without having to listen to him pump his own tires for a mom willing to pay his fee.

Comment

Originally posted by tripar View Post
                            So this happened 2 hours ago
                            I get my bucket , find a stall with a little turf left almost at end of the range.
                            I’m five or so wedges in “ Pro “ shows up to my left with 10 or 12 year old student and Mom to oversee. No problem right ? He literally talked for 50 of the 60 minutes I was there.
                            I thanked him for his endless and sometimes mindless ( my 7iron goes 170 WFCS ) chatter to which I was advised to go elsewhere as this is a public place. I suggested a private business open to the public was more accurate and I had every right to enjoy it without having to listen to him pump his own tires for a mom willing to pay his fee.
                            I had something similar happen to me on the range at Osprey Valley last weekend.

It wasn't a pro next to me, but instead it was a guy with a BlueTooth headset connected to his cellphone. He was pounding balls while having an animated conversation, but not exactly using his 'indoor' voice.

Without wanting to, I can tell you how he played and what he did both evenings last weekend, what he's doing at work, and his plans for next weekend. His car is running OK, but he's thinking about getting a new one, maybe a Porsche or possibly a Corvette. He's also thinking about moving.

I'm disappointed that I won't be playing there this weekend to see how his week turned out.
                            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

You would be surprised how many adults walk behind the hitting zone trying to get to a mat.

I used to tell people but gave up because it's so prevalent. Some people need to learn the hard way.

Originally posted by johnnybiarritz View Post

For safety and the enjoyment of everyone, I might take my daughter to the range and sort of walk around so she can see what's going on. I took my kids to the range a week or so ago and we'd been there maybe 30 seconds, I mean before I can get them in place, talk about safety, anything, and my son takes a swing and cracks my daughter right in the forehead because she was walking way too close behind him. Not really either one's fault, but something to go over with them. But just go over simple stuff if she's never really been...make sure you hit between the markers/ropes, don't go out to collect short hit balls, just basic stuff. Not trying to say you haven't done any of this, just thinking about what I'd do if my kids and friends were going out to make sure they stay safe.

Comment

There’s certainly a lack of self-awareness in what people are doing, or not doing. And not just in golf. Ignorance and entitlement are killing civilized society.

Manners on the range are not really a big issue for most, though I don’t like people smoking while they hit balls. Go down wind maybe.

The bigger issue is parents that hit balls assuming their kids are gonna stay put, amusing themselves while their dad hits a jumbo bucket. It makes me incredibly nervous when I see 4-7 year olds with too much freedom on the range. I most cases, it’s ok, but holy hell its frightening when brother and sister are chasing each other around.
                                – Greg

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X