Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not raking Bunkers or repairing divots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not raking Bunkers or repairing divots

Why is this such an issue? Do the golfers that are guilty of these things enjoy a green full of divots and a trap full of footprints? They are probably the ones complaining about conditions too. I've been annoyed by this for far too long and clearly just need to let it go.

I usually fix a few divots on most greens and always look for mine. Is it lack of respect, laziness, entitlement, lack of knowledge or maybe all of the above?
    Last edited by elmeroil; Aug 30, 2019, 02:13 PM.
    Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
    Taylormade R11 15 Deg
    Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
    Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
    Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
    Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
    Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
    Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
    Ping Scottsdale Putter
    Sun Mountain Bag
    Home Course: Pine Knot London

I think most people can't be bothered, etiquette is at an all-time low -- rarely see guys who roll up in power carts to the side of the green, with a back pin, go to the front of the green to fix their ballmarks!!

Rarely see people switching their "empty" divot mix container at the turn
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
      I think most people can't be bothered, etiquette is at an all-time low -- rarely see guys who roll up in power carts to the side of the green, with a back pin, go to the front of the green to fix their ballmarks!!

Rarely see people switching their "empty" divot mix container at the turn
      i blame those who are so concerned about pace an getting that 2.5 hr round in
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I think it should be part of the starter’s speech before the group tees off. “We ask you to respect the course and those playing it. Please rake your sand traps, repair your ball marks and divots +1 more, and the golf gods will shine on you today.”

This summer I was paired with a 45yr old father and his 25yr old son at Braeben. Father teaching the son all about the game. The father did not repair one ball mark or divot. Totally ignoring the cart signs and driving up to the green on most holes. He treated the cart like it was an ATV. In driving the cart close to the green one could see how unsafe it could be with all the undulations. So surprised they didn’t roll it.

Also surprised to see how many courses are letting the bunkers go to pot.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
          I think it should be part of the starter’s speech before the group tees off. “.
          pretty much every course does this and its written on scorecards and even sometimes a note or sign on the golf cart.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

You play some courses and the greens are so soft there virtually craters created that are ignored. I think that good golfers fix them, as their ball is not much more than a few feet from where the ball first hit. Poor golfers can't fix them as they are spending all their time looking for their balls that hit the green and then bounced 20 - 30 yards away into the rough lol

I remember many years ago playing with a friend who brought an aquaintance, We were playing Richmond Hill, and on the second hole you park the cart towards the third tee box and walk past the bunker to the green... This guy casually walked right through the bunker!!!. I asked him what he thought he was doing and he was completely oblivious to having done anything wrong......I can honestly say he had no ball marks on any green that day!!
            Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

On the subject of ball marks, I've always had a theory that unfortunately is regularly disproved -- if one's good enough to make a ball mark, one should know enough to fix it.
              WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

This kills me too...I play at Lakeridge and we could have great greens with good speed but nobody ever fixes freakin ballmarks. I would be all for handing out those plastic divot tool when people check in at the proshop and ask them if they know how to use one. I know it's public etc. but still I think it's a downward spiral. People see other peoples ballmarks and can't be bothered anymore to look for theirs.
                In the Bag:

Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana Whiteboard
                Mizuno 3 & 5 woods - TT steel shaft
                Mizuno MP-52 KBS Tour shafts
                Mizuno 56 black ox - TT
                Mizuno 60 raw haze - TT
                Odessy White hot custom fit - will take this putter to my grave

Comment

I recall the request to "Fix yours and one other". My buddies and I amended that to "Fix yours and ten others". Still not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

i blame those who are so concerned about pace an getting that 2.5 hr round in
                    I disagree - we play in just over 3 hours and repair whatever we can. On fairways and on greens. There are many factors in play here. Golf courses with power carts and trolleys that hold divot repair - only problem is that most times, the containers are empty! Raking bunkers - our course has some very deep pot bunkers where all you can do is splash out. We try to train all course maintenance staff as well as members to pull back the sand from the side walls, or all you will end up with is 1/2" of sand on the bottom and liner - try splashing out when that happens.
                    When we have tournaments on the course, which unfortunately for members is too often, we too often end up with ball marks all over greens and divots untreated everywhere....as well as the occasional cart track too close to or on the fringe of a green. In scrambles, quite often there are many participants that lack both golf experience as well as golf etiquette.
                    Most golfers I know treat courses with respect. Some........
                    I know we have members that ignore course etiquette - every course does. And many of us politely confront these members when we can to show more respect for our course. However, as in everything in life, we take the good with the bad....and try to make the best of what we do. While I hate the expression - it is what it is, unfortunately, it is what it is.
                    No good deed goes unpunished.
                    A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                      On the subject of ball marks, I've always had a theory that unfortunately is regularly disproved -- if one's good enough to make a ball mark, one should know enough to fix it.
                      Personally, fixing a ballmark is a point of pride for me.

My own feeling is that a number of people out there don't know these things (repairing divots and ballmarks, raking bunkers) are expected of them. Some people even start audible conversations as another player starts his backswing.

Comment

I get confused when someone tells me to "fix your ball, Mark"
                        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

I taught my 11 year old daughter how to fix ball marks this year and now she's obsessed with fixing as many as she can as soon as she gets to the green. Her golf etiquette is better than most of the golfers out there. Start them young I guess.

Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                          Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                          Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                          Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                          Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                          Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
                          Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
                          Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
                          Ping Scottsdale Putter
                          Sun Mountain Bag
                          Home Course: Pine Knot London

Comment

Originally posted by emvee View Post

Personally, fixing a ballmark is a point of pride for me.

My own feeling is that a number of people out there don't know these things (repairing divots and ballmarks, raking bunkers) are expected of them. Some people even start audible conversations as another player starts his backswing.
                            https://www.usga.org/course-care/for...NIbQB2rDGbIduc

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                              I get confused when someone tells me to "fix your ball, Mark"

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,492   Posts: 1,814,081   Members: 47,097   Active Members: 176
                              Welcome to our newest member, Highlife.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X