Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bizarre Etiquette Situation (standing in player's line of sight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Etiquette Situation (standing in player's line of sight)

Yesterday's City Champ (senior division) was a golf nightmare in many ways.

A bizarre etiquette situation, that I've never experienced in over 40 years of golf occurred on the first
    hole of the day (shotgun so really the 16th).

I hit a good shot on the p3 16th about 15' short of the hole, and was last to hit my (first putt).

As I get over the ball I notice that Player-C-90-shooter (who would go on to shoot 91, play stupidly slow, and exhibit
    a general lack of golf etiquette), is standing behind me / DTL about 20 feet.

I politely ask him to move over next to Player A who was standing in the (normal) 12-1 o'clock position
    about 15 feet away and out of my sight.

I get back over the ball, and now PlayerB (who would shoot 81, and you might think would "know better) has moved to my ~4 oclock ~10 feet away, as his putt is on the same line, and he is clearly in my sight or at least peripheral as I'm over the ball.

I back off again and politely request that he join the other two.

He starts to argue with me that he's already 10 feet away, and there shouldn't be a problem.

I calmly tell him that he can "step in" after I stroke the ball to see ..

He gets more belligerent, and I start to get hot, and say it's just common golf etiquette.

Then he says 'Oh, we're going to play THAT way are we ?"

The implication being that I'm being "too serious".

He finally moves over with the others.

Stupid me, I'm still steaming, and get (too quickly) over the ball and ram it 4 feet past, then (eventually) miss the come backer (to a stupid pin on knob like all the rest that day).

I finally calm down, and actually apologized to him on the next tee for losing my temper, but he doesn't say anything, no doubt thinking that I was the one in the wrong.

I don't think he was "trying to get into my head".

My impression was more that he was just used to "casual golf with the boys", and didn't see anything wrong with what he
    was doing.

Both were dead wrong and you did the correct thing asking them to move.
    King Cobra F9 10.5* Tour, VA Composites Raijin 44 A
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R
    Cobra F8 5 wood 17.5*, Tensei Blue A
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-pw, TFC 189 R, 1.5* U
    Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
    Ping Eye 2+, 57.5*, KT S
    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35" LH
    Srixon ZStar XV Ball

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
      Both were dead wrong and you did the correct thing asking them to move.
      AGREE 100%.
      Get out of his line of sight and run back if you absolutely need to see the break. C'mon fellas...
      What's In The Bag:
      Driver: Callaway Flash 9.5*
      3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub 13.5*
      Utility(s): Callaway Rogue x 18*
      Irons: Cally Rogue x 5-AW
      Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
      Putter: Scotty Newport 2

WITB FLA:
      Same as Above

Comment

All too common in casual play, both on the green and on the tee - especially those who line up right behind you. Many people just don't seem to appreciate the proper etiquette and protocol.

When I encounter it, in those particularly blatant situations, l say to them, "sorry, it throws me off when someone is in my line - or so near". Then I thank them for moving, and it usually does not happen again.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

1+ person I play with are like that. And to make it worse they added the comment "see, make no difference anyway" after they moved per my request and I missed my putt cuz I lost my concentration and annoyed by the lack of etiquette...

Or they just make a "casual" comment with the sole purpose of getting into my head and it works

Comment

If they want to watch the line they should be standing at your 7 or 8 oclock and move in after. This way theyre behind u and not ib eye sight. Common sense. Standing at 4 or 5 is just dumb.
            Driver------TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X 45.25"
            3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
            5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
            3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
            Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
            Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
            Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Poor etiquette for sure. Common courtesy seems to be going the way of the dodo these days, not just in golf.

I like Fore Warned's way of dealing with it (above), I do much the same. If they continue to do it then they're just dicks.

Comment

Completely in the right mstram.
                Some I play with have a habit with head games and trash talk all day and we enjoy it in our regular group of guys, but definitely not in that situation.

Comment

You handled it correctly IMO, and your apology was nicely done too. Not acknowledging your apology reinforced that your playing partners have no concept of etiquette.

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post

I politely ask him to move over next to Player A
                    I back off again and politely request that he join the other two.
                    He starts to argue with me that he's already 10 feet away, and there shouldn't be a problem.
                    I calmly tell him that he can "step in" after I stroke the ball to see
                    No doubt poor etiquette and you had every right to ask him to move. But maybe when you asked the second guy to move, this is where the tide changed and unfortunately, set the tone.

Directly in my sight line would bother me. And not that Im a serious golfer, but when guys cast a shadow or stand right behind me, I still dont think I would say anything. Although for fear of getting goosed from behind, I may ask them to move.
                    Greg

Comment

you were in the right, but it wasn't worth the grief you caused yourself was it?

you can't teach an old dog. It's also bad form to beat it with a stick.
                      Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
                      Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
                      Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
                      Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
                      Cleve 53,57 s300
                      Cal Tuttle

Comment

I thought there was actually a rule against standing on or even near the line of somebody else's put.

Comment

There is. Rule 10.2. But it is not as restrictive as you might have thought.
                          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

I'll sometimes practice with distraction by asking a partner to move on my backswing, toss some grass or mumble etc. It helps focus the mind on the task at hand. I heard Tiger's dad use to do things similar when he was young. I think it worked pretty well for him.
                            Does it drive anyone nuts when players on greens etc opposite tee boxes etc are just echoing away like they're the only ones on the course?
                            What's In The Bag:
                            Driver: Callaway Flash 9.5*
                            3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub 13.5*
                            Utility(s): Callaway Rogue x 18*
                            Irons: Cally Rogue x 5-AW
                            Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
                            Putter: Scotty Newport 2

WITB FLA:
                            Same as Above

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                              you were in the right, but it wasn't worth the grief you caused yourself was it?

you can't teach an old dog. It's also bad form to beat it with a stick.
                              If someone stand just next to the hole or just too close to me cuz they want to putt right after me, I will tell them to back off. I take it as you dont respect me, why should I respect u...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,561   Posts: 1,815,167   Members: 47,108   Active Members: 171
                              Welcome to our newest member, Gerg.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X