Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bizarre Etiquette Situation (standing in player's line of sight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 12-1 position would bother me.. the 4... meh. I think you are right and as long as you asked politely I cant see why the issue. But your actions unintentionally caused you more harm than good. This is just my view and as I said I think you were in the right but at least for the second guy... you already told the first guy and if he doesn't get it Oooo well. I would have just put a good stroke on it to let him know it doesn't bother you. it might be my cynical side, but player B only moved that close because you asked player C to move. He was trying to rattle you as he thought you were too serious with player C. IMO there is no way he was that naive not to get it after the first request.
    Driver - Taylormade M1 Kuro Kage stiff 10.5
    5 wood - X hot stiff
    3 Hybrid - R15 stiff
    Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
    Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by wongmb View Post
      If someone stand just next to the hole or just too close to me cuz they want to putt right after me, I will tell them to back off. I take it as ‘you don’t respect me, why should I respect u...’
      well you can return the favour and stand where he was while he putts. If he says anything say you wanted to see if he noticed the break, and walk away.
      Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
      Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
      Ping i25 5w PWR75s
      Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
      Ping ISI W2, W3
      Cal i-Trax

Comment

Probably in the right but didn't likely set a friendly tone for the game. I can see why your playing partner got upset. Everybody is a bit different and with strangers i try to pick up those things in the early holes. When I'm putting , I look straight down at the ball so unless somebody is a couple feet from me and moving about I don't see them and it isn't an issue where they stand. Definitely standing in the 12 o'clock position is a bit more intrusive as you do see them when looking at the hole when lining up but as long as they are still and nobody is casting a shadow , im ok.

Curious what does what the person scored have anything to do with it?
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          Probably in the right but didn't likely set a friendly tone for the game. I can see why your playing partner got upset. Everybody is a bit different and with strangers i try to pick up those things in the early holes. When I'm putting , I look straight down at the ball so unless somebody is a couple feet from me and moving about I don't see them and it isn't an issue where they stand. Definitely standing in the 12 o'clock position is a bit more intrusive as you do see them when looking at the hole when lining up but as long as they are still and nobody is casting a shadow , im ok.

Pure rationalization.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            I picked up on that too, but since you brought it up....

Originally posted by mstram View Post
            -who would go on to shoot 91, play stupidly slow, and exhibit a general lack of golf etiquette
            -who would shoot 81, and you might think would "know better
            If you're implying that a high cap plays slow and has poor etiquette, then let me assure you, this is not the case. I've played with golfers of all experience level (from scores of 71 to 101) and their score has nothing to do with their etiquette.

Sure, if someone scored 120, they're likely way less experienced and may need some guidance on pace and etiquette, but a bogie golfer typically exhibits the same demeanor as someone that shoots 81.

FWIW, both of those payers should know better.
            – Greg

Comment

It's poor etiquette and sportsmanship...we can do without gamesmanship in the greatest game in the world but for some people it's always about the gain.

Comment

Originally posted by ponzibynature View Post
                It's poor etiquette and sportsmanship...we can do without gamesmanship in the greatest game in the world but for some people it's always about the gain.
                experience yet again playing partner standing right behind me. He said he wants to read the break. Told him to move away, by then I am already disappointed/upset/furious, and of course I missed my 5' for par. He made his obviously. And he never repairs his ball mark either unless I remind him...selfish to the max...

Comment

experience yet again playing partner standing right behind me. He said he wants to read the break. Told him to move away, by then I am already disappointed/upset/furious, and of course I missed my 5' for par. He made his obviously. And he never repairs his ball mark either unless I remind him...selfish to the max...
                  Simple solution - do not putt until he moves away. Insist on it, and wait until he does. Wait him out, then say thank you when he moves.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Simple solution - do not putt until he moves away. Insist on it, and wait until he does. Wait him out, then say thank you when he moves.
                    It's a crying shame to put your playing partners in such a situation. Golf's rules and etiquette are inviolable. Is it not just a game in the end? If it is, why ruin the game with your weekend friends/competitors with such a d1ck move?

Comment

Find a new playing partner or just relax and don't take things so seriously ...unless this was in competition....which I would simply and nicely request the player refrain and that it distracts you ......as Ponzy says....its just a game , relax and enjoy the day try not to let others get in the way of that.

unfortunately etiquette means different things to different people .....one that should be clear cut is fixing pitch marks....again, I would probably go fix the mark and say something like, I got your pitch, you can fix 2 on the next hole hopefully they get the hint....

not sure if this is a regular playing partner or stranger but I'm all for gamesmanship in friendly matches with friends ....without intrusion and within reason of course

Comment

I've played with folks that ask me to move while putting, or on the tee etc. I just apologize and move to where ever they need or want me to be. I actually feel bad that they had to ask me as I feel I should have been more aware and courteous. I take no offense to being asked to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar2014 View Post
                          I've played with folks that ask me to move while putting, or on the tee etc. I just apologize and move to where ever they need or want me to be. I actually feel bad that they had to ask me as I feel I should have been more aware and courteous. I take no offense to being asked to move.
                          Good on you. Everyone is different though so its not a mistake on your part.

I generally try to stand behind and to the backside of the player but have played with guys who don't want anyone behind them, one guy in our Arizona group even doesn't want the cart parked to his backside. He wants us and the cart to the side he is facing and just off his right shoulder and back.

personally, unless you are in tight enough that I can reach out and touch you, doesn't matter,. just be still while I am swinging.

Comment

The person who is playing controls the stage. I used to stay silent in these situations but I learned from a guy one day who just very simply said to a lurker: “ would you mind moving off my line please, thank you very much” ; simple direct, polite. No discussion or debate “ please move - thank you” / end of story.
                            That’s what I do now when people walk in behind to ‘watch’ my tee shot or putt. It is a huge distraction in my mind because these people will often unpredictability move at the last moment. So now you would be guessing - can I trust this guy not to move? Golf is hard enough without distractions. On tour - the players know the roving cameraman will not move, but you will often see them directing traffic - no big deal. Anybody who would squawk about being asked to move should be sent to Mar a Lago to play with the cheater in chief.

“Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”
                            “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”
                            ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 172,421   Posts: 1,800,944   Members: 46,956   Active Members: 256
                            Welcome to our newest member, Str8downthepipe.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X