Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF kind of rule is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF kind of rule is this?

So Paul Casey rolls his putt over a bug on the green and is almost penalized for not reputting. He wasn't penalized because he did not "knowingly" hit the bug. The Rules of Golf stipulate that if a ball in motion hits a person, animal or object on the putting green, the stroke must be replayed. In this case the bug was ruled an animal. This one has to be the stupidest ruke in golf I've heard of yet.

What? An ant, bug or spider isn't an animal. All my biology classes were wasted
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

oddly enough this happened to me years ago. Had a stellar round going, and a few holes from the end, had a 3 foot putt with a little break and about a foot from the hole, it hit a ladybug and missed the hole (otherwise it would have gone in). Not being a rules aficionado I cursed and then tapped in what was left. Could have save myself a stroke.

Curious, what objects are included in the "hitting an object on the green"?
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by AjaxGolf View Post
        So Paul Casey rolls his putt over a bug on the green and is almost penalized for not reputting. He wasn't penalized because he did not "knowingly" hit the bug. The Rules of Golf stipulate that if a ball in motion hits a person, animal or object on the putting green, the stroke must be replayed. In this case the bug was ruled an animal. This one has to be the stupidest ruke in golf I've heard of yet.
        Agree with you totally. We don't need a lesson from some one to know the difference between animal, vegetable and mineral.

What we do need, is for the R&A whoever to step up to the plate and write at least another six rules to cover issues like this. I mean was it a 4 legged bug or 6 or 8, maybe check if it also had wings and how many.

People like "aaagc" above and "rulie; just love all this BS; keeps them in work I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Agree with you totally. We don't need a lesson from some one to know the difference between animal, vegetable and mineral.

What we do need, is for the R&A whoever to step up to the plate and write at least another six rules to cover issues like this. I mean was it a 4 legged bug or 6 or 8, maybe check if it also had wings and how many.

People like "aaagc" above and "rulie; just love all this BS; keeps them in work I guess.
          I often give the rules a lot of grief, but I think this one is fine as is.

A bug or an insect is an animal (and we don't have to get into setting a size limit on how big a bug needs to be for the rule to take effect).

I imagine the main usage for the rule is when your ball hits something a little bigger, like a dog or a bird or a snake that's appeared on the green. You hit the animal, you replace and redo your shot. Makes sense.

The bug that Casey hit is tiny. His excuse for not replaying is that he didn't "knowingly" hit it. That makes sense, given its size.

Here's a link with the actual video. Bug is easy to see on the replay but I can easily imagine a player not seeing it.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/wat...tting-bug-putt
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Imagine if there wasn't a rule like this. A player could pour millions of bugs on the green, dig a trench through them towards the hole and make every putt.
            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
            TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
              Imagine if there wasn't a rule like this. A player could pour millions of bugs on the green, dig a trench through them towards the hole and make every putt.
              What is something Matt Kuchar would do? Alex!

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

What is something Matt Kuchar would do? Alex!
                Zing!
                TS4 w/ EvenFlow White
                M1 w/ Diamana Thump
                GAPR
                Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
                Vokey 46
                Hi-Toe 52 & 58
                Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Comment

I first learned about this rule a few years ago ...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/you...-pga-tour-card

Comment

So, if I understand this, then earthworms would certainly qualify as being an animal as well.
                    There are many early morning rounds, especially after overnight rain, where there are many many earthworms on the green, even after the greens have been cut.
                    They are always popping out, or going back into the dirt, so there can be many, many worm - and I suppose some of them may not be alive, due to standing water or the mower.

So basically, if I see the worm and do not move it, and roll my ball over the worm, I have to re-putt? (and add the general penalty!?!?)

Clearing a worm free path - what if you have a 50 foot putt - is both yucky and time consuming.

Or if I verify that in fact the worm is deceased, then the stroke is legal.

Comment

Couldn't be a more stupid rule. What's there to prevent some idiot. From stating his ball hit a bug, on an important missed putt? I mean surely one could argue that he does not see a bug on the line of the opposing player, but he could also argue that it had already flown away, after it had been hit. Unless it's the PGA.. There are no cameras it actually record.. Especially. In slow. Motion if there was a bug. I Can see this rule being manipulated in the future
                      WITB :

Driver - Nike Covert
                      3 Wood - Cobra amp cell 14*
                      Hybrid - Nike cover 18*
                      Irons - Taylormade tour preferred 4-GW
                      Wedges - Cleveland 54/60 CG15-?
                      Putter - Cleveland VP5

Comment

Originally posted by hebbsy View Post
                        Couldn't be a more stupid rule. What's there to prevent some idiot. From stating his ball hit a bug, on an important missed putt? I mean surely one could argue that he does not see a bug on the line of the opposing player, but he could also argue that it had already flown away, after it had been hit. Unless it's the PGA.. There are no cameras it actually record.. Especially. In slow. Motion if there was a bug. I Can see this rule being manipulated in the future
                        There's nothing to prevent a player from lying and cheating.

I often drop a ball in the rough when I can't find mine in the woods. Doesn't everybody?

There are plenty of rules that are easy to manipulate, if that's your thing.
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                          Correct as stated we need 6 or 7 more rules to cover it so it is understood completely without any ambiguity.

Comment

Sounds like a rule to allow for sheep. Balls lodged in a sheep's thick coat or rolled onto a pile of sheep pellets. Was the next shot played from were the ball dislodged, or did a player have to go back to the point of impact. Playing it as it lies would be unreasonable.

Maybe Rulie knows.
                            Attached Files
                            Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
                            Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
                            Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
                            Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
                            Cleve 53,57 s300
                            Cal Tuttle

Comment

Rules should give you the option to replay not force you with threat of penalty. That one should have been caught by the modernization effort. Sad sad PR for the R&A and even worse PR them showing him the video in the scoring tent and asking if he knowingly did it. Good thing we didnt have the phone in option Im sure someone on PVR would have called this one in.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,561   Posts: 1,815,166   Members: 47,108   Active Members: 171
                              Welcome to our newest member, Gerg.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X