Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

puddle in the green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puddle in the green

7. I was part of a foursome playing a round. When we reached the green at hole #11, it was inundated with water from a defective sprinkler head. What should be the ruling for all four players? There was no way to putt the ball in the green , without crossing the large puddle of water surrounding the hole.

Many Rulie guys here so should get the right answer.
    Personally I would have used a water ball.

Comment

If you have casual water interfering on the line of your putt you are allowed to move your ball to the closest point that avoids said casual water , but not closer to the hole. This incurs no penalty. Its possible that for a large puddle and to get relief that is no closer that you might have to move off the green. It might also be such that with a large amount of water that you have to putt/play through it....so in this case you would place the ball in the spot that is least impacted. Ie: where the water is less deep.

I've had to do this in a match, chose to chip the ball after taking relief as there was still too much water to putt through effectively
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Weirfan has it correct for a ball that is on the putting green. If the ball is not on the putting green, there is no free relief from the temporary water on the putting green. Play hard.

Comment

If that was me I'd say everyone 1 putt and off to the next hole.....I'm not getting dirty and wet over a putt.

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
            If that was me I'd say everyone 1 putt and off to the next hole.....I'm not getting dirty and wet over a putt.
            In a casual game when you scores don't count , then absolutely.....although probably would add two putts unless everybody was within 6 feet of the cup....but then again, if not playing properly or for score It doesn't matter so add 2/1/0...whatever
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

In a casual game when you scores don't count , then absolutely.....although probably would add two putts unless everybody was within 6 feet of the cup....but then again, if not playing properly or for score It doesn't matter so add 2/1/0...whatever
              Oh definitely if something was on the line or in a tournament we'd have to find out the ruling but 99% of my rounds are for fun with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                Weirfan has it correct for a ball that is on the putting green. If the ball is not on the putting green, there is no free relief from the temporary water on the putting green. Play hard.
                Temporary water might be a good thing in some cases....if it's near the hole, it could stop the ball which is a good thing. Once it's there, you can move it as now you're on the putting green.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,492   Posts: 1,814,083   Members: 47,097   Active Members: 176
                Welcome to our newest member, Highlife.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                X