Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LPGA Pro Penalized For Divot Moving Her Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

Hang on a sec. A bit of forethought? The article mentioned she was 10 feet behind her ball, maybe that was wrong. She might have been 2 feet behind it, that would have been dumb...

BUT...

you could be off to the side, 10 feet away, and accidentally taken a divot that could spin over and hit your ball. How far away from a ball do you have to be to have enough forethought to prevent a penalty in this situation?
    Taking a practice swing straight in line with your ball that creates a divot that ends up hitting your ball? That's just dumb.

Hitting it with a divot that went 10 feet sideways? That's rub of the green. It's also something I've never seen or heard of, so it's unlikely to affect many people's games.

As a side point to this, I really hate seeing people take divots with their practice swings. Courses are beat up enough without that.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

nothing dumber than a Pro, trying to look like a Pro for the camera, by taking a practice swing for a ball that's sitting pretty on the fairway.
      Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
      Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
      Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
      Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
      Cleve 53,57 s300
      Cal Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
        But when are you so close that you could have anticipated a potential problem? Who decides and what criteria are used?

Have you really seen a divot go 10' sideways?
        I've also never seen a practice divot go 10 feet forwards. The criteria is simple: If you accidentally cause your ball to move, anywhere on the course, just replace it, no penalty and carry on. Why is this valid when on the green but nowhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Taking a practice swing straight in line with your ball that creates a divot that ends up hitting your ball? That's just dumb.

Hitting it with a divot that went 10 feet sideways? That's rub of the green. It's also something I've never seen or heard of, so it's unlikely to affect many people's games.

As a side point to this, I really hate seeing people take divots with their practice swings. Courses are beat up enough without that.
          I agree about the practice divots...but you cannot say that a practice divot that goes 10 feet forward and hits your ball is in anyway less of a rub of the green than one going sideways. Until this instance how many practice divots have you seen or heard of going 10 feet in any direction. We have this one instance, so we know the probability is not zero, but that does not detract from what should be the main issue. If your ball moves accidentally on the green, it gets put back. Why is this just not applied everywhere on the course?

Comment

Reasons for Change:
            The shape, slope and condition of many putting greens today increase the chances that a ball at rest on the putting green might move, and it can be difficult to determine whether a player caused the ball to move or whether the ball was moved by wind or other natural causes.
             When a ball moves while the player is doing nothing more than taking normal actions to prepare for a stroke, it can seem unfair for the player to be penalized.
             Most "ball moved" situations occur on the putting green, involve minimal movement of the ball, frequently occur when the player is taking reasonable actions to prepare for a stroke and the ball can be easily replaced.
             These considerations are not the same when the ball lies off the putting green, and so the penalty will continue to apply (with exceptions, such as accidentally moving a ball during search) to a player or opponent in those circumstances to reinforce the principle that the ball should be played as it lies and that players should continue to exercise care when near to a ball in play.

The substance of this Rule change was implemented as of 1 January 2017 by authorizing Committees to adopt a Local Rule that eliminates the penalty for accidentally moving a ball on the putting green.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,814,918   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
            Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
            X