Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parnevik hits himself with ball on green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parnevik hits himself with ball on green

https://www.golf.com/instruction/rul...-loophole/amp/

This is one you won't see very much. He lips out and the ball hits his foot. He then putts it in, effectively causing himself a penalty for playing from the incorrect place. He should have replayed the missed putt because " When Ball Played from Putting Green Accidentally Hits Any Person, Animal or Movable Obstruction (Including Another Ball in Motion) on Putting Green: The stroke does not count and the original ball or another ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated)"

He could have got a mulligan for his missed putt? And we all say the rules only hurt us!

Very interesting.

Comment

So, we now have a rule that gives you a "do-over", if your putt misses the mark, spins out and hits you. Call me old fashion, but this doesn't seem logical or fair.
      Last edited by mpare; Oct 16, 2019, 08:33 AM.
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

time to cut back on the ash? LOL

for those that don't know
        https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...482-story.html
        Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
        Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
        Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
        Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
        Cleve 53,57 s300
        Cal Tuttle

Comment

For the most part, I can see a point to this rule, i.e. animals, movable obstructions, moving ball, other people.

But I agree with mpare, and I really wonder if the people who crafted this rule actually contemplated a ball accidentally hitting the putting player.

Would the same type of do-over be allowed for a tee shot, or any off green shot, when it all goes wrong and someone accidentally hits themselves with their ball - which does, from time to time happen?

Warning....this guy gets hurt.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Lol great clip. It pays to know rules.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
              Lol great clip. It pays to know rules.
              The good news is....he finished the hole. The bad news....he took a seven....and is probably moving very slowly for the remainder of the round.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Did Garcia do the same?

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1...n-concede-putt
                Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                  So, we now have a rule that gives you a "do-over", if your putt misses the mark, spins out and hits you. Call me old fashion, but this doesn't seem logical or fair.
                  Ok, you are old fashion

I can see the rule's merit for a ball on the way to the hole, but once the putt has missed and if it hits an animal, person or in this case the player, it doesn't make a lot of sense to replay the stroke, in effect giving the player another chance to make the putt. This does not protect the field in any way.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Ok, you are old fashion

I can see the rule's merit for a ball on the way to the hole, but once the putt has missed and if it hits an animal, person or in this case the player, it doesn't make a lot of sense to replay the stroke, in effect giving the player another chance to make the putt. This does not protect the field in any way.
                    I couldn't agree with you more.
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

What about those extreme greens where you have to go past the hole for the ball to come back down to the hole?
                      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

What if you r partner stands behind the hole and the missed putt hits him . . . oh sorry, here we go re-putt. Good luck . . .
                        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                          What about those extreme greens where you have to go past the hole for the ball to come back down to the hole?
                          Extreme and rare but it should be easy to determine based on that shot selection if the ball was being played in that way. As such , and as per above follow same logic....ie: if i have an extreme and large breaking putt where I am aiming well away from the hole or using a back or side slope, then the ball is still on its initial path to the hole and as such the rule is used as written.

if however, in this extreme example the putt on this path to the hole misses ( using the back or side slope) and comes back to hit me , then I should not get to re-do the shot.

i think what happened to Jesper was accidental and unlucky but he should not get to replay the shot in this instance.
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,814,918   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
                          Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X