Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Handicapping System - 2020 (next year!)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post

    When you look a bit further, you'll find that once your Course Handicap is calculated, it will be further adjusted according to the format being played to give you your Playing Handicap (i.e. the number of strokes you get for the course being played). For example, for stroke play your Playing Handicap will be 95% of your Course Handicap. This percentage is being called a Handicap Allowance. For match play, the Handicap Allowance is 100%; for four ball it is 85% .
    That's interesting. i just looked at the USGA site and while it mentioned the 85% allowance for four ball, it stated that the Playing h/c and the Course h/c would be the same for most players rounds. Perhaps the 95% is only for actual competitions, and not day to day play like we have in NA. I await the actual publication of the USGA H/C manual. When they redid the rules, they were available well before just 2 months to implementation.

    Comment


    • #62
      https://golfcanada.ca/handicapping/w...g-system-faqs/


      This is what I am going on for now. I'm expecting a webinar later this month, then a manual should be available for download. The Golf Canada Handicapping Manual online is from 2018.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

        That's interesting. i just looked at the USGA site and while it mentioned the 85% allowance for four ball, it stated that the Playing h/c and the Course h/c would be the same for most players rounds. Perhaps the 95% is only for actual competitions, and not day to day play like we have in NA. I await the actual publication of the USGA H/C manual. When they redid the rules, they were available well before just 2 months to implementation.
        It seems that WHS simply recommends these %age adjustments but it would seem that national authorities may determine what they are and when to use them.


        CONGU has in fact made them compulsory. But of course they are only applied foe competition results not handicap processing where they are disregarded.
        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by aaagc View Post

          It seems that WHS simply recommends these %age adjustments but it would seem that national authorities may determine what they are and when to use them.


          CONGU has in fact made them compulsory. But of course they are only applied foe competition results not handicap processing where they are disregarded.
          It would be better if the h/c system showed you what your actual h/c is and what it may be under tournament conditions using the accepted % for a region. Not much fun going to the first tee expecting to get a stroke a hole and find out you're only get 16 or 17

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

            It would be better if the h/c system showed you what your actual h/c is and what it may be under tournament conditions using the accepted % for a region. Not much fun going to the first tee expecting to get a stroke a hole and find out you're only get 16 or 17
            Well your index doesn't tell you what you will play off on a course other than your own anyway.
            But a course handicap of 18 will only go down to 17.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by aaagc View Post

              Well your index doesn't tell you what you will play off on a course other than your own anyway.
              But a course handicap of 18 will only go down to 17.
              Sure it does. Go to your profile page. Look down your own profile to course handicap. In red you will see beside that number ( View All). Click on View All. It will take the screen to Find A course with your own course in the text box. Start typing the name of the course you intend to play. It will reveal all the information that you need.

              I now know I am a 16 from the tips from Hamilton Golf and Country Club, though I live in Victoria BC
              Last edited by sikoram; Nov 7, 2019, 12:10 PM. Reason: Addition to text

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by sikoram View Post

                Sure it does. Go to your profile page. Look down your own profile to course handicap. In red you will see beside that number ( View All). Click on View All. It will take the screen to Find A course with your own course in the text box. Start typing the name of the course you intend to play. It will reveal all the information that you need.

                I now know I am a 16 from the tips from Hamilton Golf and Country Club, though I live in Victoria BC
                Your instructions for the Golf Canada site are of little help to aaagc, who lives in the UK.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by rulie View Post

                  Your instructions for the Golf Canada site are of little help to aaagc, who lives in the UK.
                  It's OK, I can get enough from here (even in the UK).
                  https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/NCRListing.aspx

                  But my point was that your index on its own tells you nothing about playing.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by rulie View Post

                    Your instructions for the Golf Canada site are of little help to aaagc, who lives in the UK.
                    But think of how many confused Canadians were helped. It's all good.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Got a missive from the BC Golf Association yesterday, prior to our Handicapping Webinar Monday. Notable points are that scores will have to be entered on the handicap system (in our case Golf Canada) prior to midnight on the day of play to ensure the course conditions affecting handicap rating is correct. So no more saving your scores for a week then entering them. I always thought that suspicious anyway. There is a kiosk in most clubs for terminal access to the handicap system. You can also enter your scores on line via your cell.

                      There was also a question for course directors/superintendents regarding course maintenance in the winter time on another inquiry. It suggests the demise of the winter handicap factor. Maybe not a big deal back east where you get snow and your course is closed but out here we shorten our courses, cut down on the number of tees (in my course's case gold tees and white tees only) use temporaries, put on the Gortex and boots, and use old Pro V 1s for plugged balls in super soft ground.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        https://golfcanada.ca/article/handic...active-seasons I hadn't heard of a 'winter handicap factor'. And the handicap committee has the duty of declaring that course conditions are such that players are not supposed to enter scores. (But I am jealous that Victoria golfers get to play when many of us relative easterners are shoveling).

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          From BCGA (BC Golf Associaton)

                          Dear Directors of Golf/General Managers/Head Professionals,

                          As we drumroll towards the launch of the World Handicap System in January 2020, the process of maintaining winter handicaps will be impacted. The licensing agreement with the USGA/R&A as well as the calculation of the new Handicap Index means that come January 2020, we cannot provide winter handicaps the way we’ve been doing it. Therefore, we’re looking at adjusting Course Rating during the winter months as a way to provide winter ‘caps.

                          I’d like you to perhaps talk to your superintendent and think about what you do differently during the winter months, in terms of course management. For example:
                          • Is the green speed the same stimpmeter reading as in the summer months?
                          • How often are the greens cut?
                          • Rough height, is it the same?
                          • What other adjustments are done during winter?
                          • What is done to maintain the course in the summer that is not done during the winter and vice versa
                          • Anything else that may affect course ratings?

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            http://britishcolumbiagolf.org/uncat...sumption-dates

                            Hi again; that is interesting. This link says that winter handicaps are unofficial.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              They are unofficial. Used for winter club events for clubs in paradise that play golf 365 days a year. BCGA kept the caps going for clubs like ours. When the active season commenced again in the spring, we went back to last season. I assume with the new system, the caps will continue throughout the year.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                I use the term paradise, loosely. I was born and raised in Hamilton.
                                Last edited by sikoram; Nov 17, 2019, 10:40 PM. Reason: add comma to change meaning

                                Comment


                                Join The TGN Email List

                                Collapse

                                Recently Joined

                                Collapse

                                Topics: 173,436   Posts: 1,813,259   Members: 47,089   Active Members: 176
                                Welcome to our newest member, Foodcart.

                                Today's Birthdays

                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard

                                Collapse


                                TGN Sponsors

                                Working...
                                X