Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Handicapping System - 2020 (next year!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColinL View Post

When you look a bit further, you'll find that once your Course Handicap is calculated, it will be further adjusted according to the format being played to give you your Playing Handicap (i.e. the number of strokes you get for the course being played). For example, for stroke play your Playing Handicap will be 95% of your Course Handicap. This percentage is being called a Handicap Allowance. For match play, the Handicap Allowance is 100%; for four ball it is 85% .
    That's interesting. i just looked at the USGA site and while it mentioned the 85% allowance for four ball, it stated that the Playing h/c and the Course h/c would be the same for most players rounds. Perhaps the 95% is only for actual competitions, and not day to day play like we have in NA. I await the actual publication of the USGA H/C manual. When they redid the rules, they were available well before just 2 months to implementation.

Comment

https://golfcanada.ca/handicapping/w...g-system-faqs/

This is what I am going on for now. I'm expecting a webinar later this month, then a manual should be available for download. The Golf Canada Handicapping Manual online is from 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

That's interesting. i just looked at the USGA site and while it mentioned the 85% allowance for four ball, it stated that the Playing h/c and the Course h/c would be the same for most players rounds. Perhaps the 95% is only for actual competitions, and not day to day play like we have in NA. I await the actual publication of the USGA H/C manual. When they redid the rules, they were available well before just 2 months to implementation.
        It seems that WHS simply recommends these %age adjustments but it would seem that national authorities may determine what they are and when to use them.

CONGU has in fact made them compulsory. But of course they are only applied foe competition results not handicap processing where they are disregarded.
        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post

It seems that WHS simply recommends these %age adjustments but it would seem that national authorities may determine what they are and when to use them.

CONGU has in fact made them compulsory. But of course they are only applied foe competition results not handicap processing where they are disregarded.
          It would be better if the h/c system showed you what your actual h/c is and what it may be under tournament conditions using the accepted % for a region. Not much fun going to the first tee expecting to get a stroke a hole and find out you're only get 16 or 17

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

It would be better if the h/c system showed you what your actual h/c is and what it may be under tournament conditions using the accepted % for a region. Not much fun going to the first tee expecting to get a stroke a hole and find out you're only get 16 or 17
            Well your index doesn't tell you what you will play off on a course other than your own anyway.
            But a course handicap of 18 will only go down to 17.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post

Well your index doesn't tell you what you will play off on a course other than your own anyway.
              But a course handicap of 18 will only go down to 17.
              Sure it does. Go to your profile page. Look down your own profile to course handicap. In red you will see beside that number ( View All). Click on View All. It will take the screen to Find A course with your own course in the text box. Start typing the name of the course you intend to play. It will reveal all the information that you need.

I now know I am a 16 from the tips from Hamilton Golf and Country Club, though I live in Victoria BC
              Last edited by sikoram; Nov 7, 2019, 12:10 PM. Reason: Addition to text

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post

Sure it does. Go to your profile page. Look down your own profile to course handicap. In red you will see beside that number ( View All). Click on View All. It will take the screen to Find A course with your own course in the text box. Start typing the name of the course you intend to play. It will reveal all the information that you need.

I now know I am a 16 from the tips from Hamilton Golf and Country Club, though I live in Victoria BC
                Your instructions for the Golf Canada site are of little help to aaagc, who lives in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Your instructions for the Golf Canada site are of little help to aaagc, who lives in the UK.
                  It's OK, I can get enough from here (even in the UK).
                  https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/NCRListing.aspx

But my point was that your index on its own tells you nothing about playing.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

But think of how many confused Canadians were helped. It's all good.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,120   Posts: 1,809,146   Members: 47,047   Active Members: 200
                    Welcome to our newest member, reginaldyee.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X