/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

World Handicapping System - 2020 (next year!)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Handicapping System - 2020 (next year!)

The World Handicapping System is coming into effect next year. Here is some new info:

Thanks, this should be a positive change.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

The reasons for the changes are valid, but I have one reservation. Most golfers don't understand the current handicap system; the new system is more complicated and will be even more difficult to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post
        The reasons for the changes are valid, but I have one reservation. Most golfers don't understand the current handicap system; the new system is more complicated and will be even more difficult to understand.
        It is more complicated but isn't all that complicated stuff done behind the scenes by the software so all anyone has to still do is input scores? Then the system will spit out your factor ( and course handicap) as does now?

Or am i missing something?
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I think for the people who input their scores, nothing will change, except the names of things. Changes to your score because of exceptional scoring, changes due to course conditions, all happen behind the scenes.
          The only thing WE have to worry about, like the last time it changed, was what the maximum score for a hole will be while we are playing. But because it is now h/c dependant, we have to know what our stroke holes will be, and this means that each time we enter a score, we have to check if our h/c has changed so we can apply it for our next round.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
            But because it is now h/c dependant, we have to know what our stroke holes will be, and this means that each time we enter a score, we have to check if our h/c has changed so we can apply it for our next round.
            I believe apps are already available which can give you your index, course and playing handicap if it knows what tees you are playing
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

I think for the people who input their scores, nothing will change, except the names of things. Changes to your score because of exceptional scoring, changes due to course conditions, all happen behind the scenes.
              The only thing WE have to worry about, like the last time it changed, was what the maximum score for a hole will be while we are playing. But because it is now h/c dependant, we have to know what our stroke holes will be, and this means that each time we enter a score, we have to check if our h/c has changed so we can apply it for our next round.
              If you post hole by hole, this will be done automatically.

Comment

The Golf Canada handicap system updates your handicap factor (and shows your handicap from the normal tees you play) every time you post a score - this is done nearly instantaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  It is more complicated but isn't all that complicated stuff done behind the scenes by the software so all anyone has to still do is input scores? Then the system will spit out your factor ( and course handicap) as does now?
                  You're right. I just think we're better off when people actually understand something, instead of letting the software, or someone else, take care of it.

Society is increasingly dependent on small groups of people who actually have understanding. The ignorant masses blindly place their trust in the few.

This imbalance can only lead to the detriment of the masses. I'm generally shocked at how willingly most people accept their role as a clueless pawn.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

You're right. I just think we're better off when people actually understand something, instead of letting the software, or someone else, take care of it.

Society is increasingly dependent on small groups of people who actually have understanding. The ignorant masses blindly place their trust in the few.

This imbalance can only lead to the detriment of the masses. I'm generally shocked at how willingly most people accept their role as a clueless pawn.
                    I feel quite the opposite. With the increasing complexity of just about everything, I think the valuable skills are in evaluating people and figuring out who to trust, and when, and with what.

I'm not going to learn how to tune my car any more. Or repair my computer, phone, camera, watch, or (sadly) amplifier. Or do my own surgery or evaluate pharmaceuticals, or chemotherapy, or tune my piano, or reupholster furniture or....

Hire professionals who know what they're doing, and then go spend your time and effort being good at something else. I don't need to clutter my mind with the details and vagaries of the new HC system if there's a machine that can do it for me, faster and more accurately.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

How does everyone feel about it being mandatory to enter scores hole by hole? That's quite possibly going to the case and is meant so that the "machine" can do all of the background work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                        How does everyone feel about it being mandatory to enter scores hole by hole? That's quite possibly going to the case and is meant so that the "machine" can do all of the background work for you.
                        I've been entering my rounds on Golf Canada's website using hole-by-hole for 3 years now. Many advantages - I don't think I'd go back.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                          I enter my scores thru a 3rd party app used by our club that is connected to Golf Can system. It requires my gross and adjusted score. Why would I want to enter hole by hole?

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post

I enter my scores thru a 3rd party app used by our club that is connected to Golf Can system. It requires my gross and adjusted score. Why would I want to enter hole by hole?
                            To make sure the adjustments (eg, new net double bogey replacing ESC) are done correctly?

Comment

Are you saying max score on a hole will be double bogey?

I have a max score allowed per hole now and enter a total gross and adjusted score. How is that different?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X