Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HENLEY'S EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HENLEY'S EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

Henley's Very Expensive Mistake:

Appears to be a very stupid one too?

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rus...15ed-150019637

Sounds like it's just an older version of Pro-V1. They keep making really minor changes to the graphics so you can tell what year it was, but would be really easy to miss..... until you went to autograph it.

So i don't think it was a particularly stupid mistake, but definitely costly.

I wonder how it got in his bag?

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

“It was a small dash, a different way it was marked that would have been easy to overlook,” PGA Tour rules official Brad Fabel told PGATour.com, adding that it took eight officials an hour and a half to determine a ruling and appropriate penalty."

wow
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
        Sounds like it's just an older version of Pro-V1. They keep making really minor changes to the graphics so you can tell what year it was, but would be really easy to miss..... until you went to autograph it.

I'm surprised that pros don't keep balls in sleeves, which would make the difference between year/model at least a little easier to spot.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Another "golf is hard" rule that thankfully I have never had to deal with
          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

IMO definitely a stupid mistake, they play as a team Caddies usually check the bags to see that all is in order, but at the end of the day the player is boss.
            Based on the scoring he would have been -6 and easily made the cut, and if he played the final 36 (obviously we will never know this) at the same pace or slightly worse he could have picked up $100,000 finishing at -10.
            So these guys are two professionals playing in US$7.2M tournament, and don't keep track of the balls in their bag; maybe some Mexican thought it was Kuchar's bag.
            So at the end of the day they should be double checking their balls every shot; it's hard enough for them to make money without silly mistake like this.

Your final statement makes it quite clear that it was stupid.

Comment

The point I take away from this is his integrity. I'm not sure stupid would be an accurate descriptor. "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's gone, it's gone". The posters should refocus.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
                The point I take away from this is his integrity. I'm not sure stupid would be an accurate descriptor. "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's gone, it's gone". The posters should refocus.
                It appears you're a little mixed up, I am talking about stupidly making that mistake.

Not calling him stupid for fessing up to his mistake.

Maybe he needs to carry a copy of this in his bag;

http://www.rule20-6.com/pool19/ProV1.asp

Comment

It was a dumb mistake, but he showed a lot of integrity for bringing it to official's attention.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

It appears you're a little mixed up, I am talking about stupidly making that mistake.

Not calling him stupid for fessing up to his mistake.

Maybe he needs to carry a copy of this in his bag;

http://www.rule20-6.com/pool19/ProV1.asp
                    "As Henley signed balls for fans he noticed one ball had a slight difference from the ball he uses."

I don't think you've pointed out anything that Henley was unaware of. He knows the rule (that's why he was able to call himself on it) and he knows the various differences in markings on Pro-V1s (that's how he knew he'd played the wrong model).

He also knows how he makes his living and how much money was at stake.

Given all that, and his (and his caddy's) lifetime involvement in the sport, I think it's fair to assume he knows how to manage his equipment so that mistakes like this can't happen.

So..... when he says he has no idea how it got into his bag, it's a pretty odd situation.

So.... here's where I'll speculate a bit. I imagine that at the start of each season, pro's get their new balls from their sponsors and those are what they put in play from that day forward. And somehow, an old version got into Henley's bag. That's odd.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

"As Henley signed balls for fans he noticed one ball had a slight difference from the ball he uses."

I don't think you've pointed out anything that Henley was unaware of. He knows the rule (that's why he was able to call himself on it) and he knows the various differences in markings on Pro-V1s (that's how he knew he'd played the wrong model).

He also knows how he makes his living and how much money was at stake.

Given all that, and his (and his caddy's) lifetime involvement in the sport, I think it's fair to assume he knows how to manage his equipment so that mistakes like this can't happen.

So..... when he says he has no idea how it got into his bag, it's a pretty odd situation.

So.... here's where I'll speculate a bit. I imagine that at the start of each season, pro's get their new balls from their sponsors and those are what they put in play from that day forward. And somehow, an old version got into Henley's bag. That's odd.
                      We can go on and on playing this out for the entire silly season.
                      At the end of the day they are no different than two regular working guys preparing for an out of town project.

Rule 1. Check your tool box to make sure all your tools are in there, and that they all work as they should.

Rule 2. Repeat Rule 1

It is that easy.

Comment

^^^^^^
                        As above. It's all up to the participant(s) to adhere to the requirements. Congrats to Henley for his integrity. It's refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

We can go on and on playing this out for the entire silly season.
                          At the end of the day they are no different than two regular working guys preparing for an out of town project.

Rule 1. Check your tool box to make sure all your tools are in there, and that they all work as they should.

Rule 2. Repeat Rule 1

It is that easy.
                          And as a joiner once advised me. Measure twice then cut once.
                          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,510   Posts: 1,814,649   Members: 47,100   Active Members: 175
                          Welcome to our newest member, Golfcoursesales.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X