Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Play it as it lies, lays, lyes....HELP!

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Play it as it lies, lays, lyes....HELP!

    Getting something published and need help with this one. Hope you all can help! Is it play it as it lies, lays, or lyes. I've seen all versions. Help!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
    Getting something published and need help with this one. Hope you all can help! Is it play it as it lies, lays, or lyes. I've seen all versions. Help!
    "Play it as it lay" is another 'variation', and the one that I prefer.

    That said, I will demure to the scholars among us for the grammatically correct version.

    Comment


    • #3
      The word "lies" can be a verb, with synonyms like "sits", "rests" and "positioned". The use of "lies" would be correct. The others may not necessarily be wrong, but the term is recognised in golf and in common usage.

      The bigger issue is....the number of people who may not always..."Play it as it lies", or who lie about playing it as it lies.

      Whatcha publishin?

      Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
        Getting something published and need help with this one. Hope you all can help! Is it play it as it lies, lays, or lyes. I've seen all versions. Help!
        Since the title of Rule 9 is, in part, "Ball Played As It Lies", for consistency, I'd go with that. Otherwise, your audience might wrongly think that your knowledge of the rules is suspect.
        Last edited by mpare; Dec 18, 2019, 12:10 PM.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

        Comment


        • #5
          I definitely would not subscribe to the use of lays or lyes for this

          The terms "as it lies" and "as it sits" are recognized body positions that are easily transferred to a ball.
          things change

          Comment


          • #6
            I work with a lot of copywriters, and today's language isn't about being perfect. It's more about how the reader comprehends it. In marketing, we use plain language, so being accurate is no longer important. It's about the reader.

            In other words, its better to use language how we speak it. You would never say "play it as it lays" out loud, so "play it as it lies" would be the way to go.
            – Greg

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bl8d View Post
              I definitely would not subscribe to the use of lays or lyes for this

              The terms "as it lies" and "as it sits" are recognized body positions that are easily transferred to a ball.
              And if the original poster needs a headache, he could turn to this discussion: https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-it-as-it-lies

              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mpare View Post

                And if the original poster needs a headache, he could turn to this discussion: https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-it-as-it-lies
                lol reaches for Excedrin.

                as for Dylan, he was going for the Olay. lol
                things change

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks so much all. For those who asked, it’s a self published story for my kid for Xmas.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
                    Thanks so much all. For those who asked, it’s a self published story for my kid for Xmas.
                    Just paint a white line around it and take a free lift...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
                      Thanks so much all. For those who asked, it’s a self published story for my kid for Xmas.
                      Congrats on doing that, hope he enjoys the story.
                      plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Benz View Post

                        "Play it as it lay" is another 'variation', and the one that I prefer.

                        That said, I will demure to the scholars among us for the grammatically correct version.
                        "Play is as it lay" is past tense and means that the ball was on a spot but is no longer there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Play it as you find it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ColinL View Post

                            "Play is as it lay" is past tense and means that the ball was on a spot but is no longer there.
                            And "play it as it lies" is present tense and mean that the ball is on a spot now.
                            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ColinL View Post

                              "Play is as it lay" is past tense and means that the ball was on a spot but is no longer there.
                              So if I write “ this is where I lay “ , and I am laying in that spot at the time , how does it become past tense ?
                              Im not a linguist, so this is a question not a comment.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X