No announcement yet.
Collapse

Play it as it lies, lays, lyes....HELP!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play it as it lies, lays, lyes....HELP!

Getting something published and need help with this one. Hope you all can help! Is it play it as it lies, lays, or lyes. I've seen all versions. Help!

Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
    Getting something published and need help with this one. Hope you all can help! Is it play it as it lies, lays, or lyes. I've seen all versions. Help!
    "Play it as it lay" is another 'variation', and the one that I prefer.

That said, I will demure to the scholars among us for the grammatically correct version.

Comment

The word "lies" can be a verb, with synonyms like "sits", "rests" and "positioned". The use of "lies" would be correct. The others may not necessarily be wrong, but the term is recognised in golf and in common usage.

The bigger issue is....the number of people who may not always..."Play it as it lies", or who lie about playing it as it lies.

Whatcha publishin?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Since the title of Rule 9 is, in part, "Ball Played As It Lies", for consistency, I'd go with that. Otherwise, your audience might wrongly think that your knowledge of the rules is suspect.
        Last edited by mpare; Dec 18, 2019, 12:10 PM.
        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I definitely would not subscribe to the use of lays or lyes for this

The terms "as it lies" and "as it sits" are recognized body positions that are easily transferred to a ball.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I work with a lot of copywriters, and today's language isn't about being perfect. It's more about how the reader comprehends it. In marketing, we use plain language, so being accurate is no longer important. It's about the reader.

In other words, its better to use language how we speak it. You would never say "play it as it lays" out loud, so "play it as it lies" would be the way to go.
            – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
              I definitely would not subscribe to the use of lays or lyes for this

The terms "as it lies" and "as it sits" are recognized body positions that are easily transferred to a ball.
              And if the original poster needs a headache, he could turn to this discussion: https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-it-as-it-lies

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

And if the original poster needs a headache, he could turn to this discussion: https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-it-as-it-lies
                lol reaches for Excedrin.

as for Dylan, he was going for the Olay. lol
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Thanks so much all. For those who asked, it’s a self published story for my kid for Xmas.

Comment

Thanks so much all. For those who asked, it’s a self published story for my kid for Xmas.
                    Just paint a white line around it and take a free lift...

Comment

Congrats on doing that, hope he enjoys the story.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

"Play it as it lay" is another 'variation', and the one that I prefer.

That said, I will demure to the scholars among us for the grammatically correct version.
                        "Play is as it lay" is past tense and means that the ball was on a spot but is no longer there.

Comment

Play it as you find it

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post

"Play is as it lay" is past tense and means that the ball was on a spot but is no longer there.
                            And "play it as it lies" is present tense and mean that the ball is on a spot now.
                            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post

So if I write “ this is where I lay “ , and I am laying in that spot at the time , how does it become past tense ?
                              Im not a linguist, so this is a question not a comment.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X