Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What tee boxes do/ should you play from?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tee boxes do/ should you play from?

Not really sure if this is a “rules” post, but my buddies and I argue all the time about what yardage to play from.

I shoot anywhere from a High 70 to a mid-high 80, drive the ball about 260-270 and typically will play from 6500-6800, try not to play much longer then that, I have buddies who shoot high 90s, and drive the ball about 230, and I have always suggested they try and play 6000-6400.

is there a rule of thumb people have used in the past, everything I see online typically basis it off of Driver distance, not handicap.

It should definitely be based on driving distance. Having said that, there is a direct correlation between driving distance and handicap.

At 230 your buddy should be playing whites. I have been playing whites with a similar driving distance and I'm enjoying the game much more. Keep my ego in check.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post
      Having said that, there is a direct correlation between driving distance and handicap.
      That may be true in many cases, but it's not universal.

I've played with guys who can absolutely bomb the ball but couldn't break 90 to save their lives and have the handicaps to prove it.

Conversely, I've also played with guys who are modest off the tee but who are always in play and are p!ssed if they shoot more than 82-83.

Comment

I generally select the tees that are closest to 6400 yards, without going over that (Price Is Right style). My index is usually about an 11, though ballooned last year to 14+ due to a lack of time.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Unless your a low handicapper or playing a tournament, pick a tee box you can score well half decent from. Why make the game tougher. I'd rather shoot a lower round and enjoy it then struggle keep it in play from the tips. Many forums online say take your 5 iron distance and multiply it by 36.

Comment

Best formula that I have seen is take your average drive and x by 14 and then take your average 7 iron and x by 18 and add the two together - eg 14 x 240= 3360 - 18 x 160=2880 - 3360 plus 2880 = 6240yds
            Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
            23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
            6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
            52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
            Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Seneca Hickory Sticks suggest Ts by handicap, Black,1-5,Blue, 6-11, White,12-25, Green, 26-35, and Red 36+, course plays from 7016-5417

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post
                Best formula that I have seen is take your average drive and x by 14 and then take your average 7 iron and x by 18 and add the two together - eg 14 x 240= 3360 - 18 x 160=2880 - 3360 plus 2880 = 6240yds
                I like this one....I currently play to an 8 cap...about 1-1.2 strokes higher than I'd like.
                When I'm not getting much roll from my driver.
                (230 x 14) + (175 x 18) = 6370.....is a good course length.

When there's more roll in the summer
                (240 x 14) + (175 x 18) = 6510
                So 6500 to just under 6600 is good for me on a firm/hard running course.

Comment

Another opinion:

PGA of America/USGA Recommendations for Choosing Proper Tee Box

In 2011, the PGA of America and USGA issued a set of recommendations designed to encourage golfers to play from appropriate yardages. These guidelines are based on golfers' average driving distance. So find your driving distance, then see what yardage these two organizations recommend:

Avg. drive Recommended Tees
                  300 yards 7,150-7,400 yards
                  275 yards 6,700-6,900 yards
                  250 yards 6,200-6,400 yards
                  225 yards 5,800-6,000 yards
                  200 yards 5,200-5,400 yards
                  175 yards 4,400-4,600 yards
                  150 yards 3,500-3,700 yards
                  125 yards 2,800-3,000 yards
                  100 yards 2,100-2,300 yards
                  https://www.liveabout.com/set-of-tee...y-from-1562675

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post
                    Puts me at about where I normally play. 6150.
                    I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

That may be true in many cases, but it's not universal.

I've played with guys who can absolutely bomb the ball but couldn't break 90 to save their lives and have the handicaps to prove it.

Conversely, I've also played with guys who are modest off the tee but who are always in play and are p!ssed if they shoot more than 82-83.
                      Of course, I meant in general. And the data seems to support.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/perfor...-male-amateur/

Comment

I play from the tips when given the option. I like to play the full course and am more concerned with the experience than saving a couple shots.

Comment

According to that chart, I should have a driver clubhead speed just around 100 mph. Don't know if I've ever had that clubhead speed, and certainly don't now. One could also make a similar chart showing age versus clubhead speed. In short, I don't believe the data represents the general golf population. I would need to see the confidence interval at each handicap level, ie, the range of clubhead speed for each handicap point. Maybe you can ask them for the raw data.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                            According to that chart, I should have a driver clubhead speed just around 100 mph. Don't know if I've ever had that clubhead speed, and certainly don't now. One could also make a similar chart showing age versus clubhead speed. In short, I don't believe the data represents the general golf population. I would need to see the confidence interval at each handicap level, ie, the range of clubhead speed for each handicap point. Maybe you can ask them for the raw data.
                            On the clubhead speed side of things.

A couple months ago, I dislocated my shoulder and I'm still having some bad issues with my biceps tendon due to the injury.

I came back and played with only irons. I'm now using woods again, but am probably swinging about 20% slower than normal and at one point it was probably closer to 30+.

My scores haven't really changed much at all.

Comment

Personally, I think it has to be a combination of handicap and driver distance. I know lots of guys that can bomb it 275+ and can't break 90. I also know guys that are a 5 handicap, hit the drive 230 and hit the fairway every time and hit every other club consistently and straight. If you are playing 6800 yards, even if you hit the driver 280 you will have a lot of long irons into greens, or fairway woods. High handicappers generally are poor iron players.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X