/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What tee boxes do/ should you play from?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rulie View Post
    Yardage is yardage, how people feel about it or choose to play it is irrelevant - it's still 6000 yards. It's swings and roundabouts.
    On a course relative to par, 2 shots per hole are putts, so on a par 72 that leaves 36 shots with other clubs, 34 on a par 70.

So on a par 72 course that's 166.6 yards per shot, on a par 70 that's 176.5... that's a one club difference.

Comment

I use to play the blues when I was younger and my average drive was 280 - 300, now that I'm officially a senior citizen with average drive of 250 I play the whites.
      Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
      3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
      7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
      Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
      Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
      Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
        Yardage is yardage, how people feel about it or choose to play it is irrelevant - it's still 6000 yards. It's swings and roundabouts.
        Umm... But we are not playing 6000 yards in a single hole... How they are divided up into 18 holes matters.

I will give you a more specific but hypothetical scenario.

Say your driving distance is 230. Consider the following two courses

Course A -- par 6, 2 holes, 500 yards
        hole 1: 250 par 3
        hole 2: 250 par 3

Course B -- par 7, 2 holes, 500 yards
        hole 1: 230 par 3
        hole 2: 270 par 4

In course A, you'd play into the green by:
        hole 1: driver + chip
        hole 2: driver + chip

In course B, you'd play into the green by:
        hole 1: driver
        hole 2: driver + pitch

You are taking four shots in Course A vs. three shots in Course B.

Four shots "play longer" than three shots. Although it's the same distance, with the lower par number you end up requiring more shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattv88 View Post

On a course relative to par, 2 shots per hole are putts, so on a par 72 that leaves 36 shots with other clubs, 34 on a par 70.

So on a par 72 course that's 166.6 yards per shot, on a par 70 that's 176.5... that's a one club difference.
          Good way of putting it. I am one who believes that the tee box played doesn't makes much , if any, difference to pace of play. Had a guy shoot 167 in league this year from the white tees, his group played faster than groups who play blues and shot 1/2 that.

looking at my last scores from each tee box at my home course, ( white 6300, Blue 6700 and Gold 7000) 81, 80, 81.

from my observations gambling, routine, especially pre shot and on the greens, not playing ready golf , people who walk and aren't fit or walk slowly are the biggest impediments.

that said, pace of play in general has been great this year. Single rider carts, no raking bunkers and no touch flagsticks likely the big reason.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            that said, pace of play in general has been great this year. Single rider carts, no raking bunkers and no touch flagsticks likely the big reason.
            Not out here...in 26+ rds this year, I've yet to play in under 4:15 hrs....typically 4.5+ hrs....but that's the same in other years too.

Comment

[QUOTE=Weirfan;n3181971]

from my observations gambling, routine, especially pre shot and on the greens, not playing ready golf , people who walk and aren't fit or walk slowly are the biggest impediments.

This ^

Comment

Pace of play has been great this year at our club (The Country Club). Only one of about 20 rounds was over 4 hours. Most are in the 3:45 range. Last year most rounds were about 4:30 hours.

Comment

This week, I witnessed a twosome tee from the blacks at Turnberry in Brampton on hole #1.
                  The no.1 stroke hole on the course, a par 4 playing 443 from the tips.
                  They both hit the fairway but had, by my reckoning from the yardage book, 220 and 240 yards to the pin.
                  It's all ego. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by kascoboy View Post
                    This week, I witnessed a twosome tee from the blacks at Turnberry in Brampton on hole #1.
                    The no.1 stroke hole on the course, a par 4 playing 443 from the tips.
                    They both hit the fairway but had, by my reckoning from the yardage book, 220 and 240 yards to the pin.
                    It's all ego. Sad.
                    Not disagreeing that in some cases ego can come into play ....but you are judging their suitability by watching one tee shot ? Lol

playing in a scramble about 20 years ago at Seaton golf course and all four of us hit our tee shots probably a combined 120 yards ( this included two sub 10 handicappers) .....we went on to shoot -13 and come second. Our tee shots were so bad they created a special award at the dinner and gave us all tee shirts
                    Last edited by Weirfan; Jul 31, 2020, 08:30 PM.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• I usually will play my own hybrid, check scorecard, keep par 3s under 175 and par 4s under 400.

Drive around 225.

Comment

• Whatever is closest to 6,000 yards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Not disagreeing that in some cases ego can come into play ....but you are judging their suitability by watching one tee shot ? Lol
                          Are you suggesting that their successive tee shots would somehow increase by 30 to 50 yards?

Comment

• Today I experienced this at Bond Head north. Paired up with a couple of guys who automatically went to the blue tees. More than half of their tee shots didn't even make the forced carries. Me and my partner were driving much further (240-250) but we were playing the greens (between blues and whites). Eventually they joined us at the green tees for the back 9...and that's after we had to waive the threesome behind us because of our slow play...

Comment

• I prefer a course where after good tee shots, I would hit every club in the bag for approach shots during the round. Keeping track of what clubs I use for approaches, my range from 6 to LW is 9% to 13%, a reasonable distribution. A good drive is 230-235, 7 iron 140-145. Index 3.9, age almost 75. Course yardage 5900-6000. Anything longer is discouraging, or anything shorter, gives no satisfaction.

Comment

• ^^^ Shadow - I hope I have your game when I'm 75 !
                                WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                                Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65
                                Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist 818 H1 21* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                                Titleist 818 H1 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                                Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                                Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
                                Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
                                Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 180,120   Posts: 1,886,801   Members: 48,527   Active Members: 483
                                Welcome to our newest member, bujouves.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X