Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What tee boxes do/ should you play from?

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6000-6400 yards. I usually look at holes over 400 yards if I can reach them. I want it to be challenging but 440+ yard par 4s are tough.
    HDCP 11-16 over the years 220 yard drives.
    Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
    Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

    Comment


    • 6500+ usually but depends on the course. There’s some that play 7000 but have felt shorter than some courses that are 300 yards shorter. ~2 handicap and drive the ball around 280 not that long of a lefty. Haha

      Comment


      • Was marshaling yesterday afternoon and we had 310 golfers on the sheet. Two 4-balls in there playing the tips at 7300. Seemed they could handle it as never fell out of position.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rulie View Post

          You'll have to explain to me how the par for a course impacts it's length? A course is still 6000 yards whether its a par 69. 70, 71 or 72. Par is just a number on the scorecard. 6000 yards is still 6000 yards.
          Hypothetical golf courses, with pars of 72 and 70 respectively and a total length of 6100 yards.
          Par 72.
          10 X Par 4's at 350 yards =3500 yards
          4 X Par 3's at 150 yards = 600 yards
          4 X Par 5's at 500 yards = 2000 yards
          Total 6100 yards

          Par 70
          8 X par 4's at 400 yards = 3200 yards
          6 X par 3's at 150 yards = 900 yards
          4 X par 5's at 500 yards = 2000 yards
          Total 6100 yards

          Does one course not stand out as being more difficult?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Shadow View Post
            Hypothetical golf courses, with pars of 72 and 70 respectively and a total length of 6100 yards.
            Par 72.
            10 X Par 4's at 350 yards =3500 yards
            4 X Par 3's at 150 yards = 600 yards
            4 X Par 5's at 500 yards = 2000 yards
            Total 6100 yards

            Par 70
            8 X par 4's at 400 yards = 3200 yards
            6 X par 3's at 150 yards = 900 yards
            4 X par 5's at 500 yards = 2000 yards
            Total 6100 yards

            Does one course not stand out as being more difficult?
            6 par 3's on a par 70?
            Never played one.

            Comment


            • I saw a real display today of people playing the wrong tees, in this case 'the tips' on Osprey Valley North.

              This was made worse by the fact that it was happening in two separate groups with a group between them.

              IF a player has the length to play the tips, fine. However, other players in the same group should not be sucked into playing tees which make their rounds slower and more difficult. For example, the 7th hole on The North is a par-3 at 230 yards over water. Some guys can't hit their drivers that far, yet they think that they're being 'one of the boys' by giving it a go. Meanwhile, they're taking at least one extra stroke per hole, losing balls and generally holding things up.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Benz View Post
                I saw a real display today of people playing the wrong tees, in this case 'the tips' on Osprey Valley North.

                This was made worse by the fact that it was happening in two separate groups with a group between them.

                IF a player has the length to play the tips, fine. However, other players in the same group should not be sucked into playing tees which make their rounds slower and more difficult. For example, the 7th hole on The North is a par-3 at 230 yards over water. Some guys can't hit their drivers that far, yet they think that they're being 'one of the boys' by giving it a go. Meanwhile, they're taking at least one extra stroke per hole, losing balls and generally holding things up.
                Totally agree, our typical Sunday group, we always play two separate tee boxes, sometimes 3 depending on the course.

                Woodington Lake Legacy, we have 1 guy at greens, 2 at blues and 1 at white. Always keep pace, and everyone enjoys themselves

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bern View Post

                  6 par 3's on a par 70?
                  Never played one.
                  Me neither, but I heard there's one in Arnprior (Shadow's post about it got clobbered in this morning's hack). I also had a terrific reply that got clobbered, so here's what I recall.

                  The par 70s I can think of just drop 2 par 5s to par 4s.

                  So....

                  4 par 3s @ 150 yds = 600 yds
                  12 par 4s @ 375 yds = 4500 yds
                  2 par 5s @ 500 yds = 1000 yds
                  Total: 6100 yds.

                  In terms of time, I think 6 par 3s would end up being slower and cause some backups as most groups spent more time around the green than anywhere else.

                  In terms of difficulty, it probably balances out. Some tougher par 4s vs extra par 3s. Taking away 2 par 5s would make things easier I think - par 5s are easiest as they give you an extra shot to mess up and still recover.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

                    Me neither, but I heard there's one in Arnprior (Shadow's post about it got clobbered in this morning's hack). I also had a terrific reply that got clobbered, so here's what I recall.

                    The par 70s I can think of just drop 2 par 5s to par 4s.

                    So....

                    4 par 3s @ 150 yds = 600 yds
                    12 par 4s @ 375 yds = 4500 yds
                    2 par 5s @ 500 yds = 1000 yds
                    Total: 6100 yds.

                    In terms of time, I think 6 par 3s would end up being slower and cause some backups as most groups spent more time around the green than anywhere else.

                    In terms of difficulty, it probably balances out. Some tougher par 4s vs extra par 3s. Taking away 2 par 5s would make things easier I think - par 5s are easiest as they give you an extra shot to mess up and still recover.
                    I like my par 5s. The more the better.

                    Comment


                    • My post got lost in the Hack..... So important to play the right tees.

                      Nice to see others here hit it 210-220 as thought I was alone.

                      Playing the wrong tees most of this year and my game has suffered (other issues too).

                      Should be playing members, a combo of white/gold (or even whites), but doing that only 30%-40% of the time and thus i get excited to be playing tees I think I can score on and then invariably start double double.

                      We do play the tips once a week (nice to be a private member), but fortunately after this weekend one playing partner (who does hit it 10-20 yards further) too said "That's it, not doing this again".

                      Having irons in after well hit tee shots on par 4's should be the goal. On par 5's two good shots should have you never further than a short iron and no more then 1 par 3 should require a wood imo.

                      Have a friend who is a 20+ HC and doesn't hit it that long either who wants to play the tips. I tell sure once to see the difference in the set up but don't expect to have fun.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                        My post got lost in the Hack..... So important to play the right tees.

                        Nice to see others here hit it 210-220 as thought I was alone.

                        Playing the wrong tees most of this year and my game has suffered (other issues too).

                        Should be playing members, a combo of white/gold (or even whites), but doing that only 30%-40% of the time and thus i get excited to be playing tees I think I can score on and then invariably start double double.

                        We do play the tips once a week (nice to be a private member), but fortunately after this weekend one playing partner (who does hit it 10-20 yards further) too said "That's it, not doing this again".

                        Having irons in after well hit tee shots on par 4's should be the goal. On par 5's two good shots should have you never further than a short iron and no more then 1 par 3 should require a wood imo.

                        Have a friend who is a 20+ HC and doesn't hit it that long either who wants to play the tips. I tell sure once to see the difference in the set up but don't expect to have fun.
                        Really love what you're saying here. For someone who drives it 220yds.

                        These would be the tough holes....maybe one of these on each 9 holes.
                        Par 3 s/b max 200 yds [3wd]
                        Par 4 s/b max 400 yds [220 off the tee leaves 180 in which is a 5wd/3 Hyb]
                        Par 5 s/b max 550 yds [220+200+120]

                        For someone who drives it 200yds.

                        Par 3 s/b max 180 yds [3wd]
                        Par 4 s/b max 380 yds [200 off the tee leaves 180 in which is a 5wd/3 Hyb]
                        Par 5 s/b max 500 yds [200+180+120]

                        Why measure yourself against par when it's impossible for you to shoot par on a hole? Ppl should consider moving up a box if the tee is beyond your ability to make par on a hole.





                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

                          Really love what you're saying here. For someone who drives it 220yds.

                          These would be the tough holes....maybe one of these on each 9 holes.
                          Par 3 s/b max 200 yds [3wd]
                          Par 4 s/b max 400 yds [220 off the tee leaves 180 in which is a 5wd/3 Hyb]
                          Par 5 s/b max 550 yds [220+200+120]

                          For someone who drives it 200yds.

                          Par 3 s/b max 180 yds [3wd]
                          Par 4 s/b max 380 yds [200 off the tee leaves 180 in which is a 5wd/3 Hyb]
                          Par 5 s/b max 500 yds [200+180+120]

                          Why measure yourself against par when it's impossible for you to shoot par on a hole? Ppl should consider moving up a box if the tee is beyond your ability to make par on a hole.




                          Add to that hazards that come into play. Our course has significant elevation changes and most greens are raised, with only a few that on can run the ball onto the green.

                          And your example above is 2 striped or perfect hits. A 220 yard drive, means many others only go 190-205 (and better be in the fairway) or you have no shot at a GIR.

                          Today was a perfect example. On the par 5's, 500 yds, good drive, indifferent 3W, still in fairway and then 150 yards and GIR. 520, again good drive, bad 3W & not a good 4I short of green. 545 downhill, good drive, great 3W and 135 into the wind and just missed it and bunker. Last par 5, 550 (plays closer to 575 to uphill green), Great drive, 3W, 4 Hybrid to bottom of hill (and an up and down). For me +2 on par 5's is great.

                          The point is have to really be playing well and no mistakes just to hit GIR's.

                          Par 4's on 5 of 9 I am hitting a 3W or hybrids to the green. Only on 4 of them will I have an iron approach.

                          Par 3's are 4H or 4/5I (if tees up and front flag), 3W, 3H, 4I & 6/7I....

                          Hit it in the rough off the tee and GIR & par is pretty much shot.

                          In addition longer tees can bring hazards into play, that otherwise are not there. Need to know the course and review the yardage booklet or know the holes and potential issues .
                          Last edited by golfingtime; Aug 12, 2020, 06:47 AM.

                          Comment


                          • I try to play between 6400 - 6700 most rounds depending on the course. That's whats most comfortable for me personally. But as others have mentioned in the thread, I do sometimes venture back to the tips 7000+ once in a while to challenge myself. I play to a 3.5* these days and avg 285yds off the tee. 2 hybrid 245yds (I don't game a 3wd anymore due to inconsistency). And I agree with a few who have mentioned it already that most golfers will see or "feel" the additional length in approach shots into 450+ par 4's for the most part.

                            How I see it is, we all pay good money and invest the time to be out there, might as well enjoy ourselves and remove as much of the "struggle" as possible right off the bat.

                            And yes, nothing more frustrating than seeing a "duffer" you saw on the range earlier confidently stroll to the back tees and then proceed to erratically hit a 20 yard bunt while you wait on deck...yikes.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bern View Post

                              6 par 3's on a par 70?
                              Never played one.
                              https://wcgg.golf/bel-course-details/

                              Belmont golf course has 6 par 3's...par 70.
                              5 of the 6 par 3's over 200 yards and the other 170 from the blues.
                              I play the blue tees here and on the long par 3's I typically hit 4 FW or 3H....and many might say I should move up to the whites...but I like a challenge.....have shot in the 70's many times here....including a 70 and low 70's.

                              Played a 4 club challenge years ago from the blues with driver, 4 iron, 8 iron & putter.....I shot 76 ...which was a surprise to me....I thought I'd shot 83 if I played well...and it included a double and triple on the 2 of the par 3's...I putted well that day.

                              Comment


                              • Innisfil Creek is a Par 70 with 6 Par 3s. Short course.

                                I personally like ~6100-6700 9.3hcp at the moment

                                At my home course I typically play Golds (tees setup usually between 6600-6700yards) however those who have played National Pines knows it plays much longer then the card states. I dont think I could handle the Tips over 7000 at NP most days. However playing Wyndance I have played the tips over 7100+ yards and survived fine.

                                For me its consistency, If I could ever get my swing a bit more repetitive I could likely play over 7000 but it would be just taxing. As it is now I can handle the 420-450y Par 4s because a good drive is 270-300y for me leaving me a 6i-9i in, a bad one is 220-240ish leaving me a 3-5i in. Some days I can smoke those long irons others I cant.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Latest TGN Reviews


                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard


                                Collapse

                                Today's Birthdays


                                Working...
                                X