Collapse

ruling for a friend

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruling for a friend

How do you score this? 11th hole, Par 4, 250 to green if you can carry water. I hit tee shot at green but you can’t see green (all 3 guys I played with hit layup shots). We get up to green and I couldn’t find ball. So, I just gave up. On 12th hole, I hit 279 yard drive down the middle of fairway and chase down the 4 women in front of us and asked them if they took my ball. They had my ball!! The woman said that it landed 2 ft from hole but she thought someone left in there. She gives me back ball. On next hole she came back to me and apologized for taking my ball saying that she thought it was my second shot, not my drive. I shot 3 over excluding that hole. How he of proceeded? thanks
    " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
    Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
    Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
    Ping i20
    MacGregor response
    Snickers tour bag
    Pro V1

Your ball was lost because you did not find it within three minutes of searching, nor did you have knowledge or virtual certainty within those three minutes that an outside influence had taken your ball. You do not have a score for the 11th hole. For handicap purposes only, you would post your most likely score (up to a max of net double bogey) based on returning to the tee and proceeding under stroke and distance, ie, hitting three from the tee.
    (In a stroke play competition, you would be disqualified as you did not complete the 11th hole before playing from the 12th tee.)

Comment

Originally posted by Golftime

Did he also have the option of playing under the new local rule to play his 4th shot from the fairway where it was "lost"?
      He didn't indicate that the Local Rule had been implemented by the Committee in charge of the course. If it hasn't been implemented, then it is not an available option - just some words in a book.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks451 View Post
        How do you score this? 11th hole, Par 4, 250 to green if you can carry water. I hit tee shot at green but you can’t see green (all 3 guys I played with hit layup shots). We get up to green and I couldn’t find ball. So, I just gave up. On 12th hole, I hit 279 yard drive down the middle of fairway and chase down the 4 women in front of us and asked them if they took my ball. They had my ball!! The woman said that it landed 2 ft from hole but she thought someone left in there. She gives me back ball. On next hole she came back to me and apologized for taking my ball saying that she thought it was my second shot, not my drive. I shot 3 over excluding that hole. How he of proceeded? thanks
        If you weren't sure about your first ball, then why didn't you hit a provisional?

Also, in the absence of a playable provisional ball, could you not go back to the tee under stroke-and-distance?

Comment

Again how stoopid. It was two ft. from the hole!!!! Great eagle.

Comment

Yes this is what I told him, he did advise that it is a blind green but he knew he hit it straight and did not see anyone in front. I would think the ladies took his ball as a result of not yelling fore!!!
            Thanks again for the answers

Your ball was lost because you did not find it within three minutes of searching, nor did you have knowledge or virtual certainty within those three minutes that an outside influence had taken your ball. You do not have a score for the 11th hole. For handicap purposes only, you would post your most likely score (up to a max of net double bogey) based on returning to the tee and proceeding under stroke and distance, ie, hitting three from the tee.
            (In a stroke play competition, you would be disqualified as you did not complete the 11th hole before playing from the 12th tee.)

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
            Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
            Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
            Ping i20
            MacGregor response
            Snickers tour bag
            Pro V1

Comment

You’re not playing tournament golf. You’re playing common sense, golf-with-friends golf.

You got an eagle on that hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
                You’re not playing tournament golf. You’re playing common sense, golf-with-friends golf.

You got an eagle on that hole.
                Friend is a $hitty putter. Birdie at best.

Comment

Well, this is a Rules forum, and he asked for a ruling.....I gave him a ruling based on the Rules of golf.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks451 View Post
                    What course is this?...sounds like a poorly designed hole and dangerous too.....might think they'd have a sign stating that you can't aim/hit onto the green in one or a bell to ring once the players have finished the hole.

Not saying that they didn't....something doesn't sound right....so the lady thought maybe one of her playing partners dropped or left her ball on the green and went to grab it...then later said she thought it was an approach shot into the green...so why the **** would she pick up the ball then?....something doesn't make sense or you're making up a story because you hit into the ladies.

And what does playing 3 over for the rest of the rd have anything to do with the ruling...sounds like a passive brag.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                      Again how stoopid. It was two ft. from the hole!!!! Great eagle.
                      Nope. Great birdie. He would missed the two footer.
                      – Greg

Comment

I have a problem hitting greens I can see.
                        Last edited by 4underthru9; Jun 12, 2020, 08:01 AM.
                        plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

The course is in Westchester New York, the fellow is a guy I met in Hilton head and getting back into the game after 20 yrs. Ive seen him hit it far and is beginning to really get the bug. I think he said he was 3 over for the rest of the round and was asking me what the ruling was on this, so I asked this forum, so Mr 22 putt its not a made up story.

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                          Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                          Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                          Ping i20
                          MacGregor response
                          Snickers tour bag
                          Pro V1

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse