/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Pace of play... for a two some

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, your pant pocket is for an extra ball.
    I will often play a round without losing a ball, but rest assured there is a spare one in my left pocket at all times.

My one pal will occasionally cause me fits, as he might lose 4-6 balls on a bad day, either from the tee deck or fairway. Then he saunters off the tee deck back to his cart, fishes out a ball, back to the tee, sizes up his line again, takes a couple practice swings, etc. My chirping to him "that's what pockets are for" falls on deaf ears.
    WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65
    Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist 818 H1 21* hybrid with Accra FX300H
    Titleist 818 H1 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
    Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      I agree, just doing a few little things can save 1 - 2 minutes per hole, which adds up over 18. Being ready when it's your turn means so much.
      So 4 hours - we will take 2 minutes per holes . . . we are pretty much at 3 hours and 30 minutes . . . still along way from 2 hours and 45 minutes. This is 9 minutes per hole . . . sorry this is not fun . . .

If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

So 4 hours - we will take 2 minutes per holes . . . we are pretty much at 3 hours and 30 minutes . . . still along way from 2 hours and 45 minutes. This is 9 minutes per hole . . . sorry this is not fun . . .
        so many variables in play, how fast one walks, how direct the path, how long the course is, etc.

a British study showed golfers walk on average a distance that is 68% greater than the length of the scorecard, however depending on the golfer it could be as much as double the scorecard yardage. Therefore , the average person will walk over a bit more than 10 km for a 6500 yard course. Since average person walks at a pace of ~ 4.8 km/hour so just walking the course and not doing anything else would take a minimum of about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Some people however will walk 13,000 yards so almost 2 km more. This is just one reason we have variances in pace of play. Typically, we align ourselves with persons who play similarly, so that is why we have some groups who play faster than others.

as mentioned, I can and often have rush around and play 18 in a cart in 2 hours, its not fun but its golf. My round yesterday in carts at WD was just over 4 hrs 10 , mid aft tee time ( bit faster than the previous day as no match going on) we waited for a twosome ahead a few times, and had a twosome behind us....lots of laughs joking, a 10 minute stop at the turn for food and drinks, a couple provisionals needed and a very few short errant ball searches. A great afternoon of golf with 3 buddies.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Why would anyone be on their phone while on the golf course? Would that be really necessary? Seems like it would spoil the ambience.
          Some of us are required to be connected at all
          times. We don’t have the luxury of being able to just “shut off” and go about our day, without interruption.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            Subscribe to Ready Golf
            To paraphrase Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross -> " ALWAYS BE MOVING ! "

I assume you guys are mostly always playing the same course with usually the same bunch of guys. After hundreds of rounds together on the same course, let's be honest, none of your ( or my ) play is really that interesting and neither are your pals. None of you need to bear 100% witness to each of your pre-shot routines, swing, nor where you ball finally comes to a halt with its last millimetre of roll. After everyone tees of, head on out to your ball. Walk solo or with one of your pals whose ball is near yours. There is plenty of time to chat on your way to your balls. As you get nearer to your ball, if you have previously removed your glove, put it back on while you are still walking. You've golfed this course a million times, do you really need to look at the GPS or bring out the laser every time ? If so, have it ready in your hands as you get near your ball. I know you're thinking 7i to the hole but maybe an 8i with that bit of tail wind will get it there too. But think about this as you are getting to your ball if you need to club up or down. I'll have my 7i in my hand before my pull cart comes to a rest. Maybe I'll swap it for an 8i depending on circumstances but most likely it'll be the 7i that's already in my hand ... because I've had this shot a hundred times by now. Do a visual check to your other playing partners, and see who is ready to swing and remain stationary if they are about to go. I'll give a few seconds look as their ball leaves their club face, and if it looks fine then no need for me to look further. If its heading for disaster then I'll watch it to completion to assist in finding it. If someone is dawdling behind me, then I'm hitting while they futz around with whatever they are doing. We all subscribe to the code of ready golf. If we are on opposite sides of a wide fairway and one guy is much farther ahead or back, then swing away when ready as no one is really in harms way. Around the green, if one guy is in a bunker or green-side, then realizes he has the wrong wedge and goes to switch, then I'm taking my putt. I'm a good lag putter so then I will then just putt out. There is never a need to mark a 3 ft putt, just finish it. Then stand to the side and let you partners finish. I agree, leaving the green is bad form. You've putted this green hundreds of times, how much in depth green reading / surveying do you really need to do ?

Once you start golfing with a group of faster golfers, there is a natural flow to how things proceed. It is painless and requires no conscious thought as your actions will be automatic / second-nature.
            Embrace Ready Golf, and Always Be Moving
            Well, your initial assumption would be wrong. I play golf all over the place and with different groups.

I agree with you on
            • ready golf, including playing out of turn when appropriate
            • having a spare ball ready in the pocket
            • thinking about your next shot as you get near it
            • putting out when close - but there ARE some tricky short ones that I will mark so I can read them

I disagree with
            • not watching your friends' full shots. It doesn't take that much time. I happen to enjoy watching golf shots.
            • you can't walk solo and still converse and I enjoy talking with my friends on the course. So we'll walk close for some of the walk then veer off to our own balls.

A bonus pet peeve - a friend never takes a club with him when searching in the weeds and fescue. First it helps you move things around and out of the way to help find the ball, and second once you find it you don't have to go back to your bag. 90% of the time I'm going to have to chop down on it with a wedge so I take that. 10 % of the time you can actually get some better club on it and have to go back and get it, but that's not very often.

I think you're overly aggressive on your time goal. Under 4h is good enough for me. Under 3 is.... pretty uncommon IRL. I've played in a little over 2 but there were extenuating circumstances. It was still golf and I enjoyed it, but if one is always under that much time pressure, perhaps they should just play more 9-hole rounds.

Golf courses are one of my 3 "holy grounds" where I love to be. I'm not in a big rush to leave them.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

If someone asked me to golf with them, as a foursome, even as the first group of the day, and they said we will be done in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The answer would be, sorry I will take a rain check. I see no way that would be enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Netz View Post
                If someone asked me to golf with them, as a foursome, even as the first group of the day, and they said we will be done in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The answer would be, sorry I will take a rain check. I see no way that would be enjoyable.
                first group of the day playing in 2:45 ? I agree, playing that slowly could never be enjoyable....

Comment

Originally posted by Netz View Post

Our first group out every weekday is the same, 2 guys in carts....they almost always play alone ( always under 2:30 , average 2hrs 20) and are booked that way because 99.9% of the people cant keep up or just split off after a hole or two as it is too fast and/or not enjoyable for them. Many have tried ( even our + h/c junior who said he had to jog to to keep up) to walk along but none can keep pace. Both good golfers who shoot in the 70's but to play That fast they don't putt out everything, don't hit provisionals , dont stop at the turn or look for balls. They probably wouldn't like teeing off at 1pm and playing in 4:15 so have never seen them at any other time on the sheet , whereas others are quite content to tee off a 1 every day and play in 4-4:30. I've often played behind them in a 4-some and we are usually an 1 hour behind and we play quickly and are typically 2-3-4 holes ahead of the next group behind. We stop at the turn for coffee and will look for balls quickly.

we all have a comfort zone, which can differ by course. Could be walking an easy short, flat course like Lakeview in 3:15 hrs or carting a long, tough course like Eagles nest in 4:20
                  Last edited by Weirfan; Jul 31, 2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post

Some of us are required to be connected at all
                    times. We don’t have the luxury of being able to just “shut off” and go about our day, without interruption.
                    I understand that for doctors, emergency personnel and personal emergencies; others, meh.

Comment

Yeah, something is amiss with this magical 2 hours + 45 minutes. You’ve gotta ALSO be a damn good golfer, hitting fairways, GIRs, very little miss hits, not putting out, and walking at a cardiac pace.

In my regular group, I can def see areas where we could shave 15 minutes over all, but why? We’re not holding anyone up and just don’t understand the need to play so quickly. I love my wife, but she prefers I play in 4 hours.
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

Yes it does matter. My regulars, 2 walking and 2 in carts, play our 6000-6200 yards in 2:45hr like clock work. Anything longer than 3:30hr would be torture. As such, I only ever golf, with my regulars or solo, if I can get one of the first 1-3 tee times.

You mentioned elsewhere that your group was happy to play in 4 hours walking with no one in front, and guys behind you in carts that never caught you. I’d still wonder what’s taking you guys so long, and would love to be part of your group and point out where you are “wasting” an hour. Of course my use of “wasting” is a subjective term, so no intent to be mean, just trying to be efficient. 👍
                        Sorry but I have to say if i play with you in your group and the pace is 2:45hr for a 4some, thats a torture to me.

Anything around 3:30hr for a 4some walking is a great pace and not "holding" any body up, may be your group if you are behind.

I am conscious of play time (3:45-4:20hr for a 4hr some is find with me esp on weekends) but at the same time I am not out to try to beat my "lap record".

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

Yeah, something is amiss with this magical 2 hours + 45 minutes. You’ve gotta ALSO be a damn good golfer, hitting fairways, GIRs, very little miss hits, not putting out, and walking at a cardiac pace.

In my regular group, I can def see areas where we could shave 15 minutes over all, but why? We’re not holding anyone up and just don’t understand the need to play so quickly. I love my wife, but she prefers I play in 4 hours.
                          It's hard to call oneself a "damn good golfer" and not hit provisionals, look for lost balls or putt out.

Maybe "damn good ballstrikers"?

IMO there's more to the game than getting off the course quickly.

I'm pleased to see so many others questioning the 2h 45m pace.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                            Golf courses are one of my 3 "holy grounds" where I love to be. I'm not in a big rush to leave them.
                            I am with you . . . lots of time. Tonight we played 9 in about 100 minutes . . . had some drinks, supper . . . ride home and my wife was in bed by 10:00 . . . We got there at 4:00 . . .
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

For me, it will depend on how I am playing. If I'm hitting it into the trees or fescue where I have to look for my ball, then obviously it's going to take longer than normal. If I am hitting it reasonable straight naturally I will save some time. It also depends on the course; if there are longer walks between green and tee then it will take longer, so there are several factors that impact my ability to play fast.

Comment

I am with you . . . lots of time. Tonight we played 9 in about 100 minutes . . . had some drinks, supper . . . ride home and my wife was in bed by 10:00 . . . We got there at 4:00 . . .
                                Had a similar day Wednesday, got picked up at 8:30 , at course at 9:10, good and complete warm up , tee off at 10:10 finish at 2:25, put clubs in the car and go for a beer and some bites on the patio and home by 5 a full but great and relaxing day ( a bit less relaxing for my buddy who had a stressful match that went 17 holes)

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,996   Posts: 1,886,026   Members: 48,501   Active Members: 489
                                Welcome to our newest member, Atc20.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X