No announcement yet.
Collapse

Pace of play... for a two some

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We played yesterday as a twosome in 3hr 50 min. Groups clogged between hole 8-11.
    Flew around in 3hrs for 2nd round.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

90 minutes for 18 holes?! Holy crap that's fast. I don't know how that is even possible.
      In a cart, should be a breeze.90 minutes includes multiple balls and some practice too.....

Comment

• Played Tangle creek yesterday morning, was 4th group out in the morning. All Foursomes, All day we were waiting on every single shot we hit, by about the 11th hole we called the club house, and they sent a Marshal out, from that hole you can pretty much see 4-5 holes on the back 9. The first group was a good 2 1/2 holes ahead of the group behind them, the marshals response was "well they are only about a hole behind" ... no they are almost 3 holes behind and "you guys are a little quick"

End of the day, we finished in about 4 hours and 20 min, which yes I get isn't terrible, but shouldn't be the case early on a Sunday, when clearly it was due to one group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aces1979 View Post
          Played Tangle creek yesterday morning, was 4th group out in the morning. All Foursomes, All day we were waiting on every single shot we hit, by about the 11th hole we called the club house, and they sent a Marshal out, from that hole you can pretty much see 4-5 holes on the back 9. The first group was a good 2 1/2 holes ahead of the group behind them, the marshals response was "well they are only about a hole behind" ... no they are almost 3 holes behind and "you guys are a little quick"

End of the day, we finished in about 4 hours and 20 min, which yes I get isn't terrible, but shouldn't be the case early on a Sunday, when clearly it was due to one group.
          Do people not understand that unless it is a group of jackrabbits out front (and yes I am one of those), your responsibility is to keep up with the group ahead (not POP) and if there is a gap, let the group behind play through)?

Saturday the first group let us tee off ahead of them. We actually were relatively slow as a foursome (for us), finishing in 3:15. I left 45 minutes later (patio for a drink) and second group was still not on the 18th. Thus they would now set the POP at 4:15, and can only slow down from there.

Sunday we were 7th tee time and group ahead of us appeared to be okay until about hole 6..... Two seniors (couple in a cart) and two walking, who we then noted were doing all the little things golf etiquette says not to do causing 10-20 second delays that add up (you know like dawdling around the green when finished the hole and people waiting to hit...) & then we too proceeded to wait on every shot. Saw their posted scores all in the low 80's too (and no ball searches). They were 1.5 holes behind, which is not huge but since not long hitters there too was no issues ever hitting into the group ahead.

It is not the 10-20 minutes, it's changing routine and the flow that kills us.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Aces1979 View Post
            Played Tangle creek yesterday morning, was 4th group out in the morning. All Foursomes, All day we were waiting on every single shot we hit, by about the 11th hole we called the club house, and they sent a Marshal out, from that hole you can pretty much see 4-5 holes on the back 9. The first group was a good 2 1/2 holes ahead of the group behind them, the marshals response was "well they are only about a hole behind" ... no they are almost 3 holes behind and "you guys are a little quick"

Luckily we were ahead of a group like that yesterday. We are a group of seniors. Despite a little bit of waiting we finished in about 3:30. Never saw the group behind us at all. After the round I asked the marshall about them and he rolled his eyes. After 9 they were over 3 holes behind us despite him discussing their pace a couple of times. Hopefully they were sent over to the 3rd nine (overflow) to relieve the backlog behind them.
            Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              Lewis, Munoz and Song took 5 hours and 50 minutes to play their 3rd round at the Scottish Open yesterday
              Really?....I've played faster in double shotgun charity scrambles.

I guess Aza and Song's slow playing Stacy didn't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golftime View Post

Luckily we were ahead of a group like that yesterday. We are a group of seniors. Despite a little bit of waiting we finished in about 3:30. Never saw the group behind us at all. After the round I asked the marshall about them and he rolled his eyes. After 9 they were over 3 holes behind us despite him discussing their pace a couple of times. Hopefully they were sent over to the 3rd nine (overflow) to relieve the backlog behind them.
                Had something similar happen at Woodington last week, it was a pretty slow round all morning... and it was actually the cart girl who broke the bad news to use... LOL first group out in the morning... TWOSOME, 2Hrs and 30Min and they were on the 8th hole...

Comment

• Put a discreet slow play "Award" outside the proshop.
                  all it needs is a golf shoe.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fargo-woodchipper_bch.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	3217840
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                    Do people not understand that unless it is a group of jackrabbits out front (and yes I am one of those), your responsibility is to keep up with the group ahead (not POP) and if there is a gap, let the group behind play through)?
                    Typically riding vs walking has little bearing on pace, but during new protocols, 4 walkers may have a tough time keeping up with 4 single riders (4 carts) in front.

In this scenario, unless there is no one behind, the "keep up with the group in front" doesn't apply.

I gotta say, for the few times I took a cart, I liked having my own ride at first. But playing golf with 4 carts is not fun. Feel like we speed up to our shots, hit and go. Too fast/rushed.
                    – Greg

Comment

• Originally posted by synergy View Post
                      Typically riding vs walking has little bearing on pace, but during new protocols, 4 walkers may have a tough time keeping up with 4 single riders (4 carts) in front.

In this scenario, unless there is no one behind, the "keep up with the group in front" doesn't apply.

I gotta say, for the few times I took a cart, I liked having my own ride at first. But playing golf with 4 carts is not fun. Feel like we speed up to our shots, hit and go. Too fast/rushed.
                      Again this seldom happens. What we always see and hear is "we were maintaining POP, and actually finished ahead of it".

The analogy and always apropos is yes the speed limit on the highway is 100, most are doing 110 and can state they are "speeding". The point is if there is no one ahead of them for 2 kms and when they should check their rear view mirror and their is a lineup of cars behind them, they should pullover.

We are lucky that most understand our pace and if we do get the second tee off time, the first group tells us to go ahead. The hope too is that they do know they won't keep up with us, but if they see others on their tail continually, let them play through.

Comment

• Played Osprey Valley Heathlands this morning as a three-some in 2:45, and we were not rushing in any way, including two visits from the beverage cart.

We were teeing off on 18 when the group behind us walking to the 13th tee. So, the gap was five (5) full holes.

This illustrates the fundamental flaw in establishing POP guidelines as a means to determine whether a given group is 'fast' or 'slow' and therefore whether a marshal should approach them about speeding up or even temporarily stepping aside. There is simply too much subjectivity and built-in slack for them to be used effectively to govern pace for an entire course.

IMO, the most practical solution to keep things moving is to make it clear to everyone that it's their own responsibility to be aware of their relative position on the course (i.e. proximity to the groups behind them and in front of them), and to let faster groups through when possible.

Comment

• An unpleasant incident at Bethesda Grange today.

My friend and I were paired up with another pair who were not the fastest players... one of the guys always took the steps to measure the distance on a green and another guy was just a bit unhurried in general... Anyways, we got about 1.5-2 holes behind the group in front of us, although we were on pace for 4 hour round so not horribly slow.

The group behind us were older Korean couples, who were a bit impatient (I'm also Korean btw and I'm quite familiar with such folks...lol). On the 7th hole, one of them tee-ed off before the slow guy in our group completely got off the green and almost hit him... Then it happened again on the 9th hole to the same guy and he lost it. He started yelling at the group behind us and told the marshall what had happened.

On the 10th hole, the Korean group comes behind us and the guy in our group confronts them again... One guy in the Korean group shouts back "I'm sorry but you guys are too slow... you guys are two holes behind... I'm going to tell the marshall". The guy in our group loses it and it turns into a shouting match... until we tell them to back off so that we can tee off.

Later, the marshall comes to us and says that you guys are on pace so it wasn't our fault and don't worry about them... the guy in our group and the marshall are now joking around rather loudly for about a min... They were by the 10th green so it's right beside the no. 6 tee box. The guys who were trying to tee off there ask the marshall to be quiet but he can't hear them. Now those guys are super pissed lol. The marshall then goes up to them to apologize...lol

Comment

• Our group had 4 foursomes out today. I was in the second group. One member in our group has eyesight issues, macular degeneration and cataracts as well. He cannot see where his ball lands on long shots - even though it is not usually more than 175 yards.

I think he is worse this week than when I played with him two weeks ago.

We spent a lot of time helping him find his balls - even if they were just off the fairway.

The other group behind us could see what was going on with all of the back and forth among our group.

The group ahead of us was hole and a half ahead at the turn.

We finished in 4 hours 20 minutes...so not terribly bad, but frustrating for us - and everyone else on the course I am sure.

Treatment for cataracts is backed up, so he won't be able to deal with this for a few months.

Not sure how much longer it will be viable for him to continue to play without treatment.

I am sure he does not want to give up the game.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X