/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Great shot.... never mind

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Great shot.... never mind

    Have this posted in the 19th hole thread but am new to this and think this is the better thread.

    Had a funny or maybe not moment yesterday. Fairly windy to my back but Par 4 306 to the centre and the group in front of us is on the green. It’s already been a long day because they are holding up us and the group behind us. You know how it goes your slightly frustrated but whatever your golfing on a beautiful day. So I tee up and catch it perfect. Nice little fading 3 bouncer that rolls up on the green. Best tee shot I’ve ever hit. Apparently a ball rolling up is not the best etiquette and they proceed to hit my ball off the green and in the process take a very not normal divot out of the dance floor. Long story short if you play with me I’m the most gentleman like player in any sport I play. Is what it is. Share your stories of hitting a great shot only to find out that someone decides your not that impressive and should learn how to be a better human 🤗

  • #2
    A few years back I was 215 out to an elevated green, my drive was about 220, I hit the best 5 wood ever onto the green.

    I raced up to apologize and was met with "If I had hit that shot I would not be up here apologizing, I would be bragging."

    Comment


    • #3
      Assuming you apologized, the guy was a dbag for hitting your ball and damaging the green. But I could see HIS frustration if you hit into them more than a couple times, cause I’ve certainly lost my shjt in that situation. If it happens once, you accept the apology and move on with life. Twice? We’re gonna have “words.” Are you sure your patience with the slow play wasn’t more obvious before that hole?

      I hit a green at Flamborough once. As you described, hit it pure never dreaming I’d make it. The guy came flying back in his cart screaming at me. I immediately apologized but he wouldn’t accept it and kept barking at me. It got heated, and he finally left when I asked him if my ball rolling up onto the green, and decelerating, stopping 30’ actually hit him or hurt him in any way.

      Rolling onto a green is one thing, but LANDING on it something completely different.

      Nice shot BTW.
      Greg

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by synergy View Post
        Assuming you apologized, the guy was a dbag for hitting your ball and damaging the green. But I could see HIS frustration if you hit into them more than a couple times, cause I’ve certainly lost my shjt in that situation. If it happens once, you accept the apology and move on with life. Twice? We’re gonna have “words.” Are you sure your patience with the slow play wasn’t more obvious before that hole?

        I hit a green at Flamborough once. As you described, hit it pure never dreaming I’d make it. The guy came flying back in his cart screaming at me. I immediately apologized but he wouldn’t accept it and kept barking at me. It got heated, and he finally left when I asked him if my ball rolling up onto the green, and decelerating, stopping 30’ actually hit him or hurt him in any way.

        Rolling onto a green is one thing, but LANDING on it something completely different.

        Nice shot BTW.
        These guys were drunk. At one point we were waiting because buddy unstrapped his cart partners bag and it was laying in the fairway and they were 200 yards up before he realized he got pranked lol. I didn’t hit the tee shot out of frustration and did wave. I would have apologized but when we got up there my buddy took the reigns and they had words. I stayed out of it and we finished the round with no more to be added. Hindsight yes I should have waited...... no I have never hit a shot like that. No one got hit it literally rolled up to them and I guess I wait for the runway to be clear in the future 😂

        Comment


        • #5
          LOL...we had this happen to us a month or so ago... 325y to the green, we were on the green and heard the thud/plunk 15y in front of the green and rolls up on, couple seconds later we hear another one land short/right but rolls up just 2y short of the green haha. Now I'm a big/intimidating size fella at 6'5"/250 so the young lads came up very apologetic and expecting a thrashing from me. Much to their surprise I just started laughing and congratulated them for a couple beauty shots, the relief on their faces was hilarious. we had a chat, made a few jokes with each other and went on with our days

          Comment


          • #6
            A lot of unique types playing golf this year. Playing in a 3some, course in very busy, everyone is backed up a little. All 3 of us are playing into a par 5 from about 50 yards. Ball comes over our heads, lands on the green. Both my buddies are pissed. I explain to them to just relax, the guys will be racing up in a minute or two to apologize profusely. Bad judgement, new to the game and course. We putt out, guys come up looking for the ball, didn't say a thing. I proceed to tell them, one of them hit one over our heads onto the green. They evetually said sorry, but for a few minutes just stood there, not understanding what they did wrong.
            Bridgestone J715 10.5
            Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
            Adams Super LS 17d.
            Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
            Scratch 8620 53d.
            Callaway X-forged 58d.
            Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
            Srixon Q-star tour

            Comment


            • #7
              The closest that I have ever been hit on a green was at at TGN Event at Dundas Valley G&CC organized by Colin and others. I was preparing to putt on the seventh green when a ball screams by me. I was quite confused, and then had a TGNer apologizing as he passed me. It was his tee shot from the fifth hole...

              Comment


              • #8
                With the wind at our back, I landed in front of the green on #10 at Burford many years ago. Rolled right on through and bounced off the tee deck wood for #11. Yelled while it was in the air and then apologized to the guys when they were on the tee at 11. Had never come close to the green ever before and never did after either. These things happen. Do not take this as a certainty that you can now hit that club 306 and wait on all your other shots. Too many people think that because they once hit that perfect shot, they can do so again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I can think of two:

                  1. this year at St Andrews Valley, 16th hole is 556 yard par 5. I hit 3 wood off the tee and attempt to hit a 3wood layup but top/duff it 30 yards and end up in a section of rough that is between the tee shot landing area and the landing area for 2nd. I have a heater lie in the rough, little uphill lie , dry grass growing towards target.....laser it....295 to the pin, laser again, same. Hit my 3 wood that lands just short and rolls up onto the front of the green. Thankfully the pin is middle and the guys are not there. Drive up to apologize but got a lukewarm reception.

                  2. at Markland Wood some 10+ years ago and did the same from 280 or so out on 11, but this time flew it on the front middle and came kinda close , yelling 4. Drove right up to apologize and guy said no worries we heard you and great shot !

                  honourable mention. Old slow pitch team used to do an annual fall golf event and at rolling hills,..iirc one guy , very athletic and a long baseball hitter but maybe has played golf 2-3x before hits a 5wood out of a bunker from 250 that goes like a low bullet and rolls up on the green while 4 guys are still putting. He does same and goes up to apologize but they get angry and volatile and start coming after the guys with a club. One guy pulls a boxcutter and slashes another of our buddies in the cheek. Obviously tell the proshop about this and Cops get called and drive down the course and take down the guy.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pipers Heath on 15th hole. I was 255 out and into a headwind. Twilight was coming and I thought I should keep moving instead of standing in the fairway waiting to hit a low percentage shot. I thought there was no way that I would reach the green, but if I just hit about 235 aiming just right of the green, I'd land somewhere in front, leaving myself an easy chip, but no where near the group on the green. Obviously, I catch all of my 3 wood and proceed to hit it on my chosen line and into the grass bunkers to the right and a little past the green, closer to the 16th tee. Likely the best 3 wood I have ever hit. Had I aimed at the green, I would have hit it right into the group on the green. Needless to say that the boys on the green were not impressed. As I approached the green and 16th tee area, I apologized profusely, explaining that I was well beyond my normal range and into a headwind, so I thought there was zero chance I would be any where near them. They did not accept my apology. I again apologized and these guys went on and on and on and on. So, unfortunately, I told them I retract my apology and told them to keep moving.

                    I don't get upset with anyone for hitting close to us if they are 1) beyond a reasonable distance and they hit the shot of their life 2) if they yell fore when they realize they are getting close and 3) they apologize when they come up. I've done it and other have done it to me. Its rare, but it happens from time to time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                      I can think of two:

                      1. this year at St Andrews Valley, 16th hole is 556 yard par 5. I hit 3 wood off the tee and attempt to hit a 3wood layup but top/duff it 30 yards and end up in a section of rough that is between the tee shot landing area and the landing area for 2nd. I have a heater lie in the rough, little uphill lie , dry grass growing towards target.....laser it....295 to the pin, laser again, same. Hit my 3 wood that lands just short and rolls up onto the front of the green. Thankfully the pin is middle and the guys are not there. Drive up to apologize but got a lukewarm reception.

                      2. at Markland Wood some 10+ years ago and did the same from 280 or so out on 11, but this time flew it on the front middle and came kinda close , yelling 4. Drove right up to apologize and guy said no worries we heard you and great shot !

                      honourable mention. Old slow pitch team used to do an annual fall golf event and at rolling hills,..iirc one guy , very athletic and a long baseball hitter but maybe has played golf 2-3x before hits a 5wood out of a bunker from 250 that goes like a low bullet and rolls up on the green while 4 guys are still putting. He does same and goes up to apologize but they get angry and volatile and start coming after the guys with a club. One guy pulls a boxcutter and slashes another of our buddies in the cheek. Obviously tell the proshop about this and Cops get called and drive down the course and take down the guy.
                      😳😳😳 a box cutter who even carries that in their golf bag. That’s wild



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                        but they get angry and volatile and start coming after the guys with a club. One guy pulls a boxcutter and slashes another of our buddies in the cheek.
                        ok boys, go home. No one’s gonna beat THAT story.
                        Greg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Many years ago, I was in a tournament playing the Stanley Thompson course at Banff Springs. On the 9th hole, a par 5 of some 500 yards, I hit a terrible drive leaving me 265 to the green. There was a group on the green putting out. I felt it was safe to hit my second, since there was no chance I’d reach the green. Wrong! My 3 wood sailed long and true, and rolled onto the green, only stopping as it collided with a friend’s heel as he was stroking a putt. I was mortified. They were overjoyed. They teased me at work about that shot for years.
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LeftySlice373 View Post
                            😳😳😳 a box cutter who even carries that in their golf bag. That’s wild


                            He did not say he pulled it from their bag(14th club?), but in any case, as you said,who carries a box cutter in their golf bag, and if not from the bag, who carries one in their pocket? Unless, he had just come from his drywall installers job.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by synergy View Post

                              ok boys, go home. No one’s gonna beat THAT story.
                              Maybe not in this thread, but there have been stories of gun play on courses. Not sure if any of them were related to being hit into or close.

                              As I always say after one of my terrible shots, this is why we have gun control in Canada. If I had a gun in my bag, I'd just shoot myself over that shot!

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X