Collapse

Holing out a provisional ball

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

B can require A to replay the stroke, can't he? If it's a tap-in, it won't make a difference in that way, BUT.... does the out-of-turn stroke still serve to cancel the search for the lost ball? It certainly counts as a legit stroke if not challenged, but do we wind the clock back on the "lost" ball too?

These sorts of scenarios are tricky, and it's why (IMO) the Rules evolved into a rather lengthy book, beyond just "play it as it lies".
    Not having read the Interpretation, I can't say for sure whether Player B may insist that Player A replay his last stroke with the provisional ball.

Playing out of turn is a breach of the Rules, so I don't understand how it would be valid for Player A to benefit from doing so.(i.e. by preventing his opponent from looking for a lost ball).

Comment

Here is the last paragraph of Interpretation 18.3c(2)/3:
      "In match play, if the player's provisional ball is nearer the hole than the opponent's ball, the opponent may cancel the stroke and have the player play in the proper order (Rule 6.4a). However, cancelling the stroke would not change the status of the original ball, which is no longer in play."

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Not having read the Interpretation, I can't say for sure whether Player B may insist that Player A replay his last stroke with the provisional ball.

Playing out of turn is a breach of the Rules, so I don't understand how it would be valid for Player A to benefit from doing so.(i.e. by preventing his opponent from looking for a lost ball).
        My bad, I should have re-read the interpretation which covers this exact scenario in the final paragraph. I wasn't sure from JGT4's post that it was specific to match play.

Anyways, I think I agree with you in principle. But thinking a little more on it, I went to another scenario where I don't know the rule: If Player A is up by his ball by the hole, and Player B is looking for Player A's ball, how long does B have for his search? I thought the 3 minute search period started when A (or his caddy) start looking for it. But they're not looking for it, and A can't take his next stroke so.... ? I guess B gets a penalty for delaying.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

My bad, I should have re-read the interpretation which covers this exact scenario in the final paragraph. I wasn't sure from JGT4's post that it was specific to match play.

Anyways, I think I agree with you in principle. But thinking a little more on it, I went to another scenario where I don't know the rule: If Player A is up by his ball by the hole, and Player B is looking for Player A's ball, how long does B have for his search? I thought the 3 minute search period started when A (or his caddy) start looking for it. But they're not looking for it, and A can't take his next stroke so.... ? I guess B gets a penalty for delaying.
          A can make his next stroke and that ends B's search. Other than that, B has three minutes to search.
          A penalty for unreasonable delay of play outside a pace of play policy is very unusual - it would have to be very blatant.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X