No announcement yet.
Collapse

Hole in one or not?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the only two relevant measures are if the entire ball is below the surface (regardless of whether or not it's touching the flagstick) and that it is in the hole.

From the picture it's hard to be sure of either. It appears to be below the surface.

It also appears to be not completely inside the circumference of the hole. Assuming rulie's math(s) to be correct it is not touching the flagstick (although flagstick "lean" remains in play).

So... it doesn't have to be at the bottom of the cup, as per the rules, only below the surface of the green.

It does, however, have to be inside the hole. It seems to me that if it's not in the bottom of the cup, and the flagstick isn't holding it up, then there are two possible scenarios: either

1) It hasn't fully entered the circumference of the hole and is held up by dirt outside of the hole; or

2) It has deformed enough dirt to have created a perch on which it rests but is inside the hole.

I think you have to look carefully from directly above to determine whether or not it's inside the hole and God help the Rulie who has to make a determination if there's substantial money on the line.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

There are unknowns here from the angle of the picture, namely if it is leaning and if fully submerged. The summary at the end of the article sums it up nicely:

1. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged:
      NO ACE

2. Embedded, leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged:
      NO ACE

3. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, fully submerged:
      YES ACE

4. Not embedded, leaning against the flagstick, fully or partially submerged:
      YES ACE
      Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

I swear we had a discussion about this exact photo a few years ago.

Comment

You want a hole in one, gotta do it like this.....
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole in one.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	3282756
          plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/h...ball-side-cup/

The conclusion seems to be

1. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged:

NO ACE

2. Embedded, leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged:

NO ACE

3. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, fully submerged:

YES ACE

4. Not embedded, leaning against the flagstick, fully or partially submerged:

YES ACE
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X