Collapse

Brookes Koepka drop

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookes Koepka drop

Yesterday, Jan. 29th. Brookes Koepka hit a shot into a shoe in the back of a cameraman's cart, which was on the cart path. After getting a ruling, Koepka ended up hitting his next shot with his feet on the cart path. Was that his best option or did he get an odd ruling.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1...233721564.html

I think he liked the lie from his 1st drop. He probably could have gotten relief from the cart path but then he would risk getting a bad lie with the 2nd drop.

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
      I think he liked the lie from his 1st drop. He probably could have gotten relief from the cart path but then he would risk getting a bad lie with the 2nd drop.
      I'm sure you're right. I once saw a pro hit off the concrete path at the Abbey rather than take a drop in the rough.

Comment

I recall KJ Choi hitting off the cart path as a drop would have given him a much worse stance.

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
        Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65
        Titleist TS2 13.5 fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
        Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
        Mizuno JPX-900F GW with Steelfiber i110cw
        Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
        Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
        Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
        *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! .... if we ever get to play FFS !$#@! ***

Comment

Originally posted by hogan53 View Post
          Yesterday, Jan. 29th. Brookes Koepka hit a shot into a shoe in the back of a cameraman's cart, which was on the cart path. After getting a ruling, Koepka ended up hitting his next shot with his feet on the cart path. Was that his best option or did he get an odd ruling.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1...233721564.html
          In the situation that you've described, the ball is "in or on a movable obstruction (the golf cart)" and the player is entitled to free relief by dropping a ball in a relief area. The reference point is the spot on the course immediately below where the ball lies in or on the movable obstruction, and the drop would be within one club-length of the reference point but not nearer the hole. The fact that the reference point is on a cart path is irrelevant. If, after dropping, the player has interference by an immovable obstruction (the cart path), he or she is entitled to free relief but is not required to take it. The Rules say to deal with one situation at a time, and if there are two situations, it's the player's choice as to which he or she does first.
          As suggested above, the player probably liked the lie of the ball after the drop and wasn't worried about the cart path interference.

Comment

Nothing odd here.

There are two matters here: firstly his ball lying on a movable obstruction and secondly - and quite separately - his feet being on the cart path for the shot after taking relief from the obstruction. The procedure for the ball on the cart would be to lift the ball, have the cart moved and drop his ball in a relief area, the reference point of which is directly below where his ball was lying [Rule 15.2a(2)]. Once his ball was dropped and again in play, the fact that his shot would involve his feet being on the cart path is a new situation i.e, interference from an immovable obstruction and he has the option of taking relief [Rule 16.1b] His choice not to take relief has nothing to do with the ruling about his ball being in a shoe on the back of the cart.

PS. If I'd known rulie was busy answering this while I wrote, I could have saved myself the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

In the situation that you've described, the ball is "in or on a movable obstruction (the golf cart)" and the player is entitled to free relief by dropping a ball in a relief area. The reference point is the spot on the course immediately below where the ball lies in or on the movable obstruction, and the drop would be within one club-length of the reference point but not nearer the hole. The fact that the reference point is on a cart path is irrelevant. If, after dropping, the player has interference by an immovable obstruction (the cart path), he or she is entitled to free relief but is not required to take it. The Rules say to deal with one situation at a time, and if there are two situations, it's the player's choice as to which he or she does first.
              As suggested above, the player probably liked the lie of the ball after the drop and wasn't worried about the cart path interference.
              Thank you for that.

I was remembering that if you take relief you have to take "complete relief", and wondered why he'd be allowed to keep his feet on the cart path.

Of course he was taking complete relief from the cart in step one, then chose not to take any relief from the cart path.

I'd love to be a sponsored player and not care about damaging a club and be able to hit it off the path when that's the best choice.

PS: If I'd just refreshed my screen I would have seen that ColinL had put in additional clarification already...
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Thank you for that.

I was remembering that if you take relief you have to take "complete relief", and wondered why he'd be allowed to keep his feet on the cart path.

Of course he was taking complete relief from the cart in step one, then chose not to take any relief from the cart path.

I'd love to be a sponsored player and not care about damaging a club and be able to hit it off the path when that's the best choice.

PS: If I'd just refreshed my screen I would have seen that ColinL had put in additional clarification already...
                And I should have added something about the player being clever. If he takes relief from the movable obstruction (the cart and shoe) first, takes the correct drop, but doesn't like the lie, it is likely that there would be interference by the cart path and he would get a second chance at a good lie by then taking relief from the cart path. If he takes relief from the cart path first, he's stuck with the lie that results. It does pay to know the Rules.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I kind of figured that he liked the lie & chose not to risk ending up with a worse lie.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X