Rule Proposal - 8 club limit

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Proposal - 8 club limit

Hi all,

I’m looking for some feedback on a simple change I think the USGA and R&A could make instead of focusing on their proposal to limit distance. I think a better rule change would be to reduce the amount of clubs a golfer can carry from 14 to eight.

My reasoning behind this is simple. My only complaint with modern professional golf is that there is not a big enough emphasis on shotmaking. By changing this rule, players would be forced to hit more creative shots to get to pins instead of bombing it high and straight all day. The current generation of golfers is incredibly talented - they can hit all the shots. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to do so. I think this change would highlight how skilled the top players in the world really are.

Agree? Disagree?

Originally posted by DavidSheman View Post
    Hi all,
    I’m looking for some feedback on a simple change I think the USGA and R&A could make instead of focusing on their proposal to limit distance. I think a better rule change would be to reduce the amount of clubs a golfer can carry from 14 to eight.
    My reasoning behind this is simple. My only complaint with modern professional golf is that there is not a big enough emphasis on shotmaking. By changing this rule, players would be forced to hit more creative shots to get to pins instead of bombing it high and straight all day. The current generation of golfers is incredibly talented - they can hit all the shots. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to do so. I think this change would highlight how skilled the top players in the world really are.
    Agree? Disagree?
    Wouldn't that make every record in the record book obsolete, so then we would we have to start with completely new records moving forward?
    Otherwise some folk may say Jack used more than 8 clubs so none of those Majors count, right?
    We could obviously say that about a number of rule changes both past and any other new ones going forward.
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Interesting proposal. i think it might accomplish what you desire if a driver was not permitted. Otherwise, pros are hitting driver , wedge so often into holes I don't think it changes much except for perhaps the odd par 3 if its an in between yardage and even then not sure how much. They would just choke down and hit a partial shot. Almost all pros can work the ball both ways at will, we just dont get the tracer enough to show it. Bubba might not even hit a straight ball other than with the putter.

with say the following 8 clubs probably not much a pro couldn't handle.
      driver
      putter
      3wood/2hybrid
      sw
      pw
      lw
      8 iron
      5iron

Would be cool to see, but not something the Tour would likely ever consider. Maybe for a funny season event.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Wouldn't that make every record in the record book obsolete, so then we would we have to start with completely new records moving forward?
        Otherwise some folk may say Jack used more than 8 clubs so none of those Majors count, right?
        We could obviously say that about a number of rule changes both past and any other new ones going forward.
        It would make scoring records obsolete but I personally don’t care all that much about those. How do you compare DJ shooting -20 at Augusta in 2020 to Tiger shooting -18 in 1997. In my opinion, you can’t. And as for a new “eight club era”, I personally don’t think it would really change golf history all the much

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          Interesting proposal. i think it might accomplish what you desire if a driver was not permitted. Otherwise, pros are hitting driver , wedge so often into holes I don't think it changes much except for perhaps the odd par 3 if its an in between yardage and even then not sure how much. They would just choke down and hit a partial shot. Almost all pros can work the ball both ways at will, we just dont get the tracer enough to show it. Bubba might not even hit a straight ball other than with the putter.

with say the following 8 clubs probably not much a pro couldn't handle.
          driver
          putter
          3wood/2hybrid
          sw
          pw
          lw
          8 iron
          5iron

Would be cool to see, but not something the Tour would likely ever consider. Maybe for a funny season event.

Agreed - totally unlikely the tour won’t change it but I don’t think it is more extreme than the NBA adding a 3-point line once upon a time.

and I think it would lead to lots of unusual shots on par 5s especially, almost all of which are reachable. It’s much tougher to hold a green with a knockdown 4-iron than a full 5-iron (if the player had to sub that club out), especially downwind. Add in some firm playing conditions, and I think creativity and shotmaking ability would really start to get rewarded.

Bubba would benefit massively from this- he’s one of the few shot makers left on tour. Most only play one shape. It’s impressive but kind of boring

Comment

I'd love to see a tournament with a half set -> 6 or 7 clubs, plus a putter.
            I think it would be very entertaining to watch, and seeing who has creativity and touch.
            WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
            Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65
            Titleist TS2 13.5 fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
            Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
            Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
            Mizuno JPX-900F GW with Steelfiber i110cw
            Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
            Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
            Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
            Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
            *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! .... if we ever get to play FFS !$#@! ***

Comment

Man, and here I've been thinking 14 clubs on some days isn't enough.

Comment

Love minimalist sets and it would for sure bring more shot making into the game if you can't hit your yardages precisely off the tee.

Comment

Equipment manufacturers will go berserk... why would anyone buy a full set anymore. They will lobby hard against it.

Comment

This is a dumb idea. There I said it.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Concur never going to be even considered. But, totally on board as a special event - would be fun to see the selections made and the shot making that came out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                        Concur never going to be even considered. But, totally on board as a special event - would be fun to see the selections made and the shot making that came out of it.
                        I think it would be nice if there were more formats for events. Not every event has to be a standard 72 hole stroke play event. I like the “super 6” format and the current match play set-up. I think at the least this could be a cool unique event, although the tours likely would never go through with it

Comment

don't know if the profs use all 14 clubs, so changing this might be a moot point, imho. One of the major complaints is the pace of play which is problem in pro and am level. I would suggest at least the 2 following:
                          1. balls within half a ball length to the cup, call it a giveme or make the player putted out immediately (which many do), marking it and then waiting to came to putt it is just a waste of time. The only exception on the 54th hole the to-be-winner should have the last putt.
                          2. let players place the ball instead of this stupid drop-from-the-knee crap...another waste of time.
                          ERC Fusion 9 degree driver (yes the original) - M6 Irons - Callaway X Fairway Hot 3/5 Woods
                          Cleveland RTX4 54, 58 - Yes! Ann putter - TM Flextech Crossover carry bag
                          SC300 Swing Caddie
                          Swing: https://youtu.be/fbWhHmLksZk

Comment

As far as recordings and scoring -- why would it have any effect? I'm lost with that logic.

The 14 club rule went into effect in 1938 -- yet we still count the records the same (Walter Hagen is still 3rd on the Majors list with 11)

Then what about the stymie?

Then should Gary Cowan's US Am wins not be counted because he won them as Stroke Play events?

A change like that wouldn't have any effect.

A win is a win. A score is a score in the record books. No matter the rules at the time used, the type of ball or type of clubs.

About the idea -- it wouldn't be THAT big of a pull back, historically at least -- some players in the British Am in the 1930s (a major at the time) had 30 clubs in their bags.

Comment

8 clubs and no yards markers/aids allowed... Now we are talking!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X