• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it's about Time.....the PGA got with the program

PGA to allow distance-measuring devices during competition at championships

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/pga...-championships
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Finally. Wonder if the usga and RA will follow suit eventually.

Comment

That should speed up play tremendously. Hopefully no more 5 plus hour rounds at some of the Majors.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post

That should speed up play tremendously. Hopefully no more 5 plus hour rounds at some of the Majors.
        I read it as only for the PGA Championships for now, so the rest of the majors will still be painfully slow. Hope the other governing bodies follow suit quickly.

Comment

A rules official will be following Reed around to make sure his slope is turned off.
          And, slow golfers will stay slow. It is built into their nature & routines on how they play. The only way to speed them up is with significant penalties and fines. Not talk.
          No good deed goes unpunished.
          A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Web.com and MacKenzie tour trialed their use back in 2017/ or 18. I have no idea if it helped, hurt or kept POP the same. It would seem there are more factors than distance that impact POP, pre shot routine etc but maybe not having to pace off yardages and refer to the book every shot will speed up some aspects of play. A course is still only as fast as it's slowest group ahead.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              Web.com and MacKenzie tour trialed their use back in 2017/ or 18. I have no idea if it helped, hurt or kept POP the same. It would seem there are more factors than distance that impact POP, pre shot routine etc but maybe not having to pace off yardages and refer to the book every shot will speed up some aspects of play. A course is still only as fast as it's slowest group ahead.
              My observation is that the pre-shot routines can sometimes be glacial in terms of pace. Just brutal, especially on the greens.

Comment

Good idea. Now, how long until they allow players to use the slope feature? I think it should be allowed; it might speed up play even more.

Comment

I predict that it will have no impact on pace of play.
                  Caddies should only be able to offer advice between the green and the next tee.

Comment

I also don't think it will speed up play. If anything I think it will slow it down. Imagine Bryson going through his pre shot routine and his caddy says "I'm getting 390 to the hole here bryson, but the book says 389...." Bryson wont know what to do with his clock system on his driver. !!! -_-

JK, but in all reality I have a range finder and it makes me play slower, same thing with putting a line on my ball, I'm always second guessing.
                    "Your swing isn't the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                      I predict that it will have no impact on pace of play.
                      Caddies should only be able to offer advice between the green and the next tee.
                      I too don't think it will have any impact on PoP. You

Slow players are still going to use up their full time allotment, they'll just spend it on something else. And you still have a number of factors other than simple distance to a point to factor in when choosing a club, a target, a shot that you want to hit.

Same with talking with their caddies. If you can't go back and forth and make a quick decision between two people, you probably can't make a quicker decision on your own. I suppose it opens the door to players making poorer decisions on their own, with poorer shots and poorer golf as a result. That would be a tough thing to pitch for professional golf as an entertainment (which is what it is).

Would you extend that restriction to casual players who hire a caddy? Not sure that would work well either.
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

It's not in their PGA best financial interest to speed up play within a guaranteed televised broadcast time that spans 3+ days lasting 4 hrs of salable commercial time.
                        The scope is already a nuisance on daily fee courses. and it will be worse if it is seen in use on a PGA event.

That just my opinion having seen them in the hands of players who can't hit their yardage anyway.
                        things change

Comment

What’s next, get rid of the rough, all these guy’s do is play golf, so get rid of yardage books and greens books, and grow the rough longer, sought out the wheat from the chaff,

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                            It's not in their PGA best financial interest to speed up play within a guaranteed televised broadcast time that spans 3+ days lasting 4 hrs of salable commercial time.
                            The scope is already a nuisance on daily fee courses. and it will be worse if it is seen in use on a PGA event.

That just my opinion having seen them in the hands of players who can't hit their yardage anyway.
                            Over the past 2-3 years, the cost of these devices has come down (mostly in some good quality off-brands) and more golfers than ever are using them. I love watching short PAR3's where all 4 golfers in a group each pull out their range finders. All that is needed is one golfer to do this - communicate to the playing partners what distance and slope is (if not a tourney). Or when a golfer is under 20 yards from the green and he takes extra time to measure how far he needs to pitch.
                            No good deed goes unpunished.
                            A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

When I'm on the tee on a Par 3, I always state the front, middle, back yardages for my playing partners. Or if I use a laser, I'll state that yardage too.
                              WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                              Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65
                              Titleist TS2 13.5 fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
                              Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                              Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
                              Mizuno JPX-900F GW with Steelfiber i110cw
                              Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
                              Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
                              Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                              Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                              *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! .... if we ever get to play FFS !$#@! ***

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X