Collapse

Well it's about Time.....the PGA got with the program

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
    in the end the player has 40 seconds ( not including the special provisions) to make his shot so that timeframe still governs what they do. Of course the PGA has to enforce that
    To me this is the problem. The PGA Tour has never been serious about pace of play. How often is a player ever penalized?

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

To me this is the problem. The PGA Tour has never been serious about pace of play. How often is a player ever penalized?
      Most people will never know the answer to that question.

As part of its agreement with the players, the publishing of any fines, sanctions or disciplinary actions is not allowed. That includes any for "slow play". That also makes it almost impossible to issue any stroke penalties for slow play, as that would contravene the agreement.

Non-PGATOUR run events are not subject to that restriction. (Masters, PGA Championship, US Open, The Open Championship, etc.)

TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

[QUOTE=Weirfan;n3317523]PGA to allow distance-measuring devices during competition at championships

The R & A and the USGA should file for a court injunction preventing the PGA Tour from calling their activity "golf."

Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

[QUOTE=tomahawktim;n3349050]
          PGA to allow distance-measuring devices during competition at championships

The R & A and the USGA should file for a court injunction preventing the PGA Tour from calling their activity "golf."
          You do realize the The PGA (of America) and The PGA Tour are not the same organization?
          TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Thank you. I do understand.
            Swing slow, walk fast

Comment

I don't doubt that the pace of play for pros will remain slow until they start imposing stroke penalties, without inordinate warnings. As for the amateur ranks, I have found that the range finder speeds me up, if that's possible. It removes any doubt as to distance, which allows me to pick the club that I require and bang away. I might occasionally second guess myself, but the range finder has nothing to do with that.

Originally posted by brando92 View Post
              I also don't think it will speed up play. If anything I think it will slow it down. Imagine Bryson going through his pre shot routine and his caddy says "I'm getting 390 to the hole here bryson, but the book says 389...." Bryson wont know what to do with his clock system on his driver. !!! -_-

JK, but in all reality I have a range finder and it makes me play slower, same thing with putting a line on my ball, I'm always second guessing.
              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I will bet a lot of moneu this will not speed up play at any professional level. If you give guys range finders, yardage guide, caddy, and green book (with pin sheets), they will use them all, not just look at the range finder and say "oh, 156? great." You will still go to the book and look for the cover on the front edge, edge of the right bunker, ridge, or all of them!

It will have zero affect on pace of play.

Btw, they won't start penalizing slow play. They get to negotiate for more airtime with longer rounds of golf and run more ads to make more money. Also, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. They're playing for 2 million some weeks. That is a lot of money riding on putts--you'd want to make sure you're right!

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
                  I will bet a lot of moneu this will not speed up play at any professional level. If you give guys range finders, yardage guide, caddy, and green book (with pin sheets), they will use them all, not just look at the range finder and say "oh, 156? great." You will still go to the book and look for the cover on the front edge, edge of the right bunker, ridge, or all of them!

Btw, they won't start penalizing slow play. They get to negotiate for more airtime with longer rounds of golf and run more ads to make more money. Also, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. They're playing for 2 million some weeks. That is a lot of money riding on putts--you'd want to make sure you're right!
                  I agree that the PGA Tour is not likely to penalize for slow play. After all, it is a Tour owned and run by the players. However, I don't think that the prize (money) should be considered when determining pace of play or unreasonable delay of play. The Rules should be the same for my $2 Nassau as they are for the PGA Tour (I know, in my dreams!).

Comment

[QUOTE=tomahawktim;n3349050]
                    PGA to allow distance-measuring devices during competition at championships

Something odd here. The R and A/USGA allow the use of DMDs in the game of golf. What argument would you be putting forward if you were representing the plaintiff? That anyone playing by the rules of golf is not playing a game that can truly be called golf? That would be sure to win your case

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post

absolutely! If you give them another tool, they will use it along with the others. No mechanic empties his toolbox because somebody gave him an "all in one"

why would you speed up, when your next putt is for the 2 million ?
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I hope it does something to shorten these player/caddie conferences. I can't deal with another 2 minute chat about whether to carry 142 or 143.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X