Collapse

Local Rules Question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Rules Question

In our second hole, a par 4, there is a pond about 230 yards out from the blues (really white tees). There is a drop area on the other side of the pond leaving about 100 yards into the green.

In my mind the drop area is there to speed up play after hitting into the pond on a second or third shot and help golfers get through what is the #1 rated hole on the course. I don't think it is meant for anyone going into the pond off the tee. If you're long enough to do that, in my mind anyway, you should drop in front of the pond and play your third from there.

Am I at all correct or is the drop area viable for any shot going into the pond, off the tee included?

Here is an excerpt from Committee Procedures in the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf, (my added bold to the statement),

Dropping zones should normally be used to give the player an extra relief option. But the Committee may also require use of a dropping zone as the player’s only relief option under a Rule, other than stroke and distance. When the Committee does make the use of a dropping zone mandatory, that replaces any other relief options provided by the relevant Rule and this should be made clear to players.
    The Committee should attempt to place a dropping zone so that the architectural challenge of the hole is maintained, and it is typically not closer to the hole than where the player would be dropping the ball when using one of the options under the relevant Rule. For example, when situating the dropping zone for a penalty area, it should be set in a position where the player would still need to negotiate the penalty area rather than being located on the putting green side of the penalty area.

Dropping zones are usually added by Local Rule as an additional option to the options available within the Rules, and the dropping zone can be used for any ball that is in the situation, for example, any ball that is in the penalty area may use the dropping zone regardless of which stroke put the ball in the penalty area.

Comment

Does the use of the word 'should' instead of 'must' imply that the Committee does not have to follow it?
      Also if this is a permanent feature of the course, as opposed to something added for a competition, does not the course have the right to put the drop area where ever they want and only need to change it when there is a competition? Does this course even have a local rule about this drop area?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
        Does the use of the word 'should' instead of 'must' imply that the Committee does not have to follow it?
        Also if this is a permanent feature of the course, as opposed to something added for a competition, does not the course have the right to put the drop area where ever they want and only need to change it when there is a competition? Does this course even have a local rule about this drop area?
        I looked at the scorecard. Under local rules drop areas are mentioned as the red tees (which are now yellow) for three holes. But not this one.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
          Here is an excerpt from Committee Procedures in the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf, (my added bold to the statement),

Dropping zones should normally be used to give the player an extra relief option. But the Committee may also require use of a dropping zone as the player’s only relief option under a Rule, other than stroke and distance. When the Committee does make the use of a dropping zone mandatory, that replaces any other relief options provided by the relevant Rule and this should be made clear to players.
          The Committee should attempt to place a dropping zone so that the architectural challenge of the hole is maintained, and it is typically not closer to the hole than where the player would be dropping the ball when using one of the options under the relevant Rule. For example, when situating the dropping zone for a penalty area, it should be set in a position where the player would still need to negotiate the penalty area rather than being located on the putting green side of the penalty area.

Dropping zones are usually added by Local Rule as an additional option to the options available within the Rules, and the dropping zone can be used for any ball that is in the situation, for example, any ball that is in the penalty area may use the dropping zone regardless of which stroke put the ball in the penalty area.
          Appreciate the detailed response. The example in bold above says you can't circumvent the penalty area (pond) but your take is you can. Unless I'm misreading the two sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
            Unfortunately that is correct.
            It may well be that the rating team were not aware of it but is should have beeb pointed out to the course management.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Appreciate the detailed response. The example in bold above says you can't circumvent the penalty area (pond) but your take is you can. Unless I'm misreading the two sentences.
              Not sure I understand your current query?

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

Not sure I understand your current query?
                OK I think I get your point. Technically they put the drop zone in the wrong place. But I'm pretty sure that was done to speed up play. Because it's there - across the pond - it can be used after any stroke, including the drive.
                Last edited by nomullies; Apr 17, 2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

OK I think I get your point. Technically they put the drop zone in the wrong place. But I'm pretty sure that was done to speed up play. Because it's there - across the pond - it can be used after any stroke, including the drive.
                  Agree, they should not have put the dropping zone where they did, but once it's there it's an available option for any ball that is the penalty area.

Comment

All too often it is not clear at all whether the use of a drop zone is or is not mandatory. Rarely is the matter addressed on the score card.

Some times it is clearly spelled out...like a sign on the tee box indicating the need to use the designated drop zone for any ball that goes into a hazard area.

Other times, a drop zone is provided but without any indication of whether its use is mandatory or optional. And in other cases, where one might normally expect a drop zone.. there is none.

And in at least one situation, there was an intermittent drop zone. Sometimes there was a sign or roped area to indicate a drop zone - and sometimes none were there????

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                      All too often it is not clear at all whether the use of a drop zone is or is not mandatory. Rarely is the matter addressed on the score card.

Some times it is clearly spelled out...like a sign on the tee box indicating the need to use the designated drop zone for any ball that goes into a hazard area.

Other times, a drop zone is provided but without any indication of whether its use is mandatory or optional. And in other cases, where one might normally expect a drop zone.. there is none.

And in at least one situation, there was an intermittent drop zone. Sometimes there was a sign or roped area to indicate a drop zone - and sometimes none were there????
                      True. Like a sign saying drop zone on the other side. Still doesn't imply optional or mandatory. One of the quirks of the game I guess. I also wonder about a drop zone before the hazard. Like I think it's 15th on Augusta. Can't you drop it anywhere in front of the hazard (pond) not nearer the hole?

Comment

True. Like a sign saying drop zone on the other side. Still doesn't imply optional or mandatory. One of the quirks of the game I guess. I also wonder about a drop zone before the hazard. Like I think it's 15th on Augusta. Can't you drop it anywhere in front of the hazard (pond) not nearer the hole?
                        Drop zone at Augusta - it's use is not mandatory, it is an additional option to the options provided in the Rules (S&D and B-O-T-L). I think some players prefer to use the DZ because they have practiced from it during the practice round(s).
                        It's the Committee's responsibility to provide the Local Rules (a DZ is a Local Rule) to the players and the player's responsibility to know the Rules (including the Local Rules in effect). Questions about Local Rules are allowed!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X