Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Alignment Lines on Balls to be Against the Rules?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment Lines on Balls to be Against the Rules?

Played with a guy today who said he had heard that when the next rules update comes out, they will not allow alignment lines on balls, presumably including lines you put on there yourself, never mind the lines there by the manufacturer.

Has anyone else heard this?

What happens if my identifying mark is 3 dots and a line?

Maybe they were referring to this article? Ball manufacturers would have to change their markings, especially Callaway and Titleist with their balls specifically designed with lines on them for alignment. I'm sure they'll push back on any proposed changes.
    The act of applying a line to your ball with the intent to help with alignment isn’t specifically addressed in the rules. But it feels unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
      Played with a guy today who said he had heard that when the next rules update comes out, they will not allow alignment lines on balls, presumably including lines you put on there yourself, never mind the lines there by the manufacturer.

Has anyone else heard this?

What happens if my identifying mark is 3 dots and a line?
      It will never happen. The RBs have just approved lines on ball markers.
      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

If you can still line up a putter that has 2-3 full-sized white ball alignment markers on the top, then I don't see them outlawing a line on the ball.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I wouldn't hate that idea.

Comment

not going to happen.
            every ball form the first Haskell had an alignment mark.

it may just be the name of the ball, but it's all you need.
            things change

Comment

hope not - that's an integral part of my putting routine!
              In the Bag:

Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana Whiteboard
              Mizuno 3 & 5 woods - TT steel shaft
              Mizuno MP-52 KBS Tour shafts
              Mizuno 56 black ox - TT
              Mizuno 60 raw haze - TT
              Odessy White hot custom fit - will take this putter to my grave

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
                Maybe they were referring to this article? Ball manufacturers would have to change their markings, especially Callaway and Titleist with their balls specifically designed with lines on them for alignment. I'm sure they'll push back on any proposed changes.
                I know that this article is an opinion piece. However, IMO, it's nothing more than a 'strict reading' of the rules coupled with an over-developed sense of one's own interpretation of what the original Rules of Golf really intended.

Again, IMO, there is no way that the original Rules of Golf would have considered a line on a ball as an 'object'. Also, the balls used back then were barely round nor were the green surfaces anywhere near the condition that we all typically enjoy today.

Comment

There's no advantage if the rules are applied to everyone is all I gotta say. Lines I don't care about.

We should create a thread of rule changes...some of mine are

>I'd like no green reading books. No slope info anywhere shall be documented.
                  > Tour issues the course books and that's what you got to use. Everyone gets the same book. This is not a open book exam that you can write info in.
                  >I'd like a rule that says only the player is allowed to read putts. Caddy shall stay away from the line of the putt.
                  >no grounding of the club behind the ball in the rough. very "slight" touching grass is OK.
                  > let's make things interesting. why can't we have uneven/sloped tee off areas.
                  > ball in divot should be taken out and you're allowed a drop within 1 club and you must try to duplicate the lie as best as possible ie slope

Comment

It would definitely improve pace of play... read the putt, line up the line on the ball, check the ball, re-align the line on the ball, check the ball... nope, still not good, change the direction of the line by a half a degree... practice stroke... practice stroke... read the putt again, verify the line... practice stroke..

I have seen some variation of this too many times, only for the player to pound the ball past the hole or leave it woefully short... especially from amateurs with very poor green reading ability to begin with.

Comment

I'm all in for banning green contour books and will go as far as yardage books during play. Study them back in the motel before the game. It's not like the course rota changes much including the combind IQ of player and Caddy.lol
                      That's what practice rounds are for. If the caddy and the player can't get it down then, tough.
                      things change

Comment

as for the lines on the ball. I think this is a direct slap at Callaway's Tri-line which does improve the ball's alignment perspective to the hole. Combine that with Callaway's Odyssey tri-ball putter and you have a potent combination.
                        But multiple alignment lines have been around for decades. It was the "secret" behind the Zebra putters success
                        things change

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                          I wouldn't hate that idea.
                          Me either. I don’t touch my ball if I don’t have to, and put it blank side up when I do.
                          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                          TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                          Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Wouldn't affect me. I tried it years ago when it first became popular but hated it.

It always felt like the line was just a little bit off and should be adjusted and adjusted and adjusted. And then I still felt it was off during the stroke so made a very unconfident stroke. That lasted about 30 minutes. Clearly it's not for everyone.

If there are some sort of linear markings on the ball, I'll turn it over too so there's no distraction.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

I stopped worrying about the ball alignment years ago. I figured it was a bigger distraction trying to line up/rotate the ball to my intended line than it was to just pick a spot a foot or two away and putt through to that spot - how the ball was sitting/lined up didn't matter. Putting routine is much more relaxed which for me was the biggest win.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X