Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Drop from knee height... How much flex in the knee is ok?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop from knee height... How much flex in the knee is ok?

Just watching the John Deere classic and Schenk took a drop for relief from the cart path on 15.

Couldn't help but notice he bent his knee quite a bit and thought to myself that's a fair amount lower than knee height with you flex like that. It must have been like 6" lower.

Thoughts?

I actually place one knee on the ground and place the ball.
    When questioned I say “I saw Patrick Reed do it that way”.
    PING G410 Plus 10.5*
    PING G25 4 wood 16.5*
    PING G400 7 wood 20.5*
    PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid 19* & 22*
    PING G400 5 - UW

PING Anser 1966 TR
    Titleist Tour Soft yellow
    Hooferlite Mr. Ping edition
    Bag Boy Nitron cart

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram14-3-eng.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3409998 (2) Ball Must Be Dropped Straight Down from Knee Height Without Touching Player or Equipment. The player must let go of the ball from a location at knee height so that the ball:
      • Falls straight down, without the player throwing, spinning or rolling it or using any other motion that might affect where the ball will come to rest, and
      • Does not touch any part of the player’s body or equipment before it hits the ground.

“Knee height” means the height of the player’s knee when in a standing position.

Comment

As someone who is 6'3" I find this rule discriminatory
        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
        TM Rescue 17*
        TM M2 4-AW
        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
          It was probably worst before . . .
          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

It was probably worst before . . .
            nah, all my height is in my shins
            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
            TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
              You're actually not wrong. It's a bit stupid given how different people's body compositions are.

Comment

How is dropping from knee high any different for people of varying height than dropping from shoulder height?

The variance would actually be less when dropping from knee high. I'm 6-4. SWMBO is 5-6. That's 10 inches, and probably 9 inches at shoulder height. At knee high, it's probably only 4 or 5.

Comment

It's a silly rule at times. In a lot of situations where they show a drop the ball doesn't settle and they end up placing it anyways........... maybe they should change to ankle height.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                    It's a silly rule at times. In a lot of situations where they show a drop the ball doesn't settle and they end up placing it anyways........... maybe they should change to ankle height.
                    IIRC, ankle height was considered when the Rules were modernized in 2019, but not accepted because it decreased the random aspect of dropping that is desired.
                    As to dropping and then placing - players can and do use the Rules to their advantage when dropping. They often purposely drop at a spot in the required relief area with the hope/expectation that the ball will roll to a place where it needs to be re-dropped. They re-drop with the same hope/expectation and wanting to get to placing the ball where it struck the ground on the re-drop. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's all within the Rules.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X