Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

PLAYING FROM THE PROPER TEES - A 'FORMULA'

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
    I just don't find distance is a good predictor of score .
    Because it isn't just as a higher golf score is not a predictor of slower pace.


    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mpare View Post
      The formula is not too far off for me. I fly my 5 iron around 160, some days a bit longer, some days a bit shorter. That works out to my playing a course of 5760 yards. For me that's a bit too short. I prefer to play a course between 6000 and 6100 yards. As it is I play our course at about 6000 yards and I maintain a cap of 3.1. If the course that I should be playing was determined by my cap alone, I'd be playing the blues on most courses. That bit of silliness would be no fun for me. I wouldn't be able to reach most par 4s in regulation, and I see little joy in using a driver or a 3 wood to reach (or try to reach) par 3s. In short, my formula is simple - play the course setup that allow me to hit all the clubs in my bag while being reasonably challenged.
      I like this line of thinking.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by goshawk View Post
        I can't tell you how many times I've worked the first tee at Bethesda and watch guys hitting from the blues and not even make it to the fairway with their best drive (about a 170 yard carry). On top of that, when they get to their ball, they'll stand there and wait for the green to clear just over 300 yards away. Do they honestly think that they'll nail someone that far away with a 3-wood from the deep rough?
        I have lost a good bit of my length due to age and 2 back surgeries (flexibility is shot!). A good drive for me now is about 210yds. So on most courses I'm on the forward tees. I've gotten the odd sideways look when I drive past the white. But I've come to realize that I'm out there to enjoy myself and I have nothing left to prove to myself or anyone else. If I enjoy myself more playing a shorter course and have realistic chances on a lot of holes for par (or even birdie), that's where I'm going to play from. Yeah, I've had the question "why are you playing from the ladies tee?". My only response is to ask them to show me anywhere on the hole signage or scorecard where it says "ladies tee". It only states the color of the tee and yardage.
        Good for you - This 'ladies' tee BS is purely a North American invention. Everywhere else they are referred to as the forward tees...

        Another misrepresentation that has most 20+ handicappers playing from the wrong tees.
        Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
        Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
        Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
        Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
        Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
        Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
        SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
        Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
        Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
        SkyCaddie TOUCH

        Comment


        • #19
          Based on this formula I need to find a 7740 yard course. Even though I cant even shoot par at a 6300 course.
          "Your swing isn't the problem."

          Comment


          • #20
            Actually when I started at the course I played the Whites, when I did hit it longer and now have moved back to the Blues (called Members), which is a combo between Golds (longer) & Whites (shorter). At least I'm smart enough and no longer play our tips.

            And today I played the Golds (never the whites). Hit the ball really well, but that extra yardage did cost me on a # of holes. Have to hit 3W & hybrids well regardless of tees.

            I think 6100 is a perfect length for me (and I'm a short hitter).
            Last edited by golfingtime; Oct 13, 2021, 11:45 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by goshawk View Post
              I can't tell you how many times I've worked the first tee at Bethesda and watch guys hitting from the blues and not even make it to the fairway with their best drive (about a 170 yard carry). On top of that, when they get to their ball, they'll stand there and wait for the green to clear just over 300 yards away. Do they honestly think that they'll nail someone that far away with a 3-wood from the deep rough?
              I have lost a good bit of my length due to age and 2 back surgeries (flexibility is shot!). A good drive for me now is about 210yds. So on most courses I'm on the forward tees. I've gotten the odd sideways look when I drive past the white. But I've come to realize that I'm out there to enjoy myself and I have nothing left to prove to myself or anyone else. If I enjoy myself more playing a shorter course and have realistic chances on a lot of holes for par (or even birdie), that's where I'm going to play from. Yeah, I've had the question "why are you playing from the ladies tee?". My only response is to ask them to show me anywhere on the hole signage or scorecard where it says "ladies tee". It only states the color of the tee and yardage.
              Well said.
              At Vespra we don't have 'ladies' tees, we number them, 1,2,3 & 4. The members tees are the 3's, which play between 6,000 - 6,200 yards depending on the course (we have 3 nines). Even though I still hit it pretty long compared to the 'average' member I play the 3s, since ours is a very tight course and gives me plenty of challenge. When I bring my good friend to play, along with his wife, we play the 2s because he struggles to break 100 and is a short hitter. I have no problem doing that, the course offers a different perspective from that set of tees and still presents a nice challenge.

              Comment


              • #22
                sure the formula makes sense, but there is no way to enforce this. You get a foursome where one guy hits a longer ball than the other 3 so everyone wants to play to that persons distances from the blue. Ego and pride take over because every once and a while you make a solid connection so you think "if I get a hold of this one it's going to go." Even with signs, it does not mean people will listen; the perfect example of this is Humber Valley hole 3.

                A short par 4 ~230 yards. There is a sign right before you walk up to the tee box that says "wave up group behind once you get on the green." This exact same sign is also beside the green. So two signs on the same hole telling a group to do something, yet how many people just disregard this causing backups all over the place.

                For pace of play to be enforced you almost need to do something like how the old course has and various other prestigious courses do too; a handicap system. If you cannot provide through a legitimate source that you are a 23 handicap or less, you will not be permitted to play. Again, not needed on every course available to the public, but should be something at the higher end courses or courses that you consistently see slow pace of play, IE: lionshead legends is just one that comes to mind quickly

                Comment


                • #23
                  I didn't read in the article any mention of why this matters. I assume it's for pace of play? If so I think there a lot of other factors that drive slow play far more than how far somebody hits any club. I think in general a good, short player can find their way around any course in a good time better than a bad, long player regardless of course length.

                  We played this morning in 3:45 walking at a leisurely pace. Just looked up the scores we submitted. They were 83, 96, 93 87 from the blue tees. Guess which guy hits it 40-50+ yards past the other three all day long. The 96 was by far the longest and while not a tortoise the slowest.

                  Based on this formula he could/should go play from the tips but I'm not sure what the point of that would be other than to make it harder for him and have to watch him shoot over 100.
                  Last edited by bogey5; Oct 13, 2021, 12:33 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jaybee View Post
                    sure the formula makes sense, but there is no way to enforce this. You get a foursome where one guy hits a longer ball than the other 3 so everyone wants to play to that persons distances from the blue. Ego and pride take over because every once and a while you make a solid connection so you think "if I get a hold of this one it's going to go." Even with signs, it does not mean people will listen; the perfect example of this is Humber Valley hole 3.

                    A short par 4 ~230 yards. There is a sign right before you walk up to the tee box that says "wave up group behind once you get on the green." This exact same sign is also beside the green. So two signs on the same hole telling a group to do something, yet how many people just disregard this causing backups all over the place.

                    For pace of play to be enforced you almost need to do something like how the old course has and various other prestigious courses do too; a handicap system. If you cannot provide through a legitimate source that you are a 23 handicap or less, you will not be permitted to play. Again, not needed on every course available to the public, but should be something at the higher end courses or courses that you consistently see slow pace of play, IE: lionshead legends is just one that comes to mind quickly
                    IMO, the formula is understandable, but it still doesn't make sense. The distance that a player hits his 5-iron is not always an indicator of how long he can hit his driver (for the par-4 and par-5 holes), and most par-3 holes do not require a 5-iron distance. Also, as previously mentioned, a player can be a long-hitter but still be a tortoise (looking for balls, missing greens, poor putting, etc.).

                    I don't believe that there is any standardized universal formula to dictate which tees should be played. And, as stated above, it would never ever be enforced anyway.

                    That said, the ONLY thing that really matters is pace of play. Play any tees you want to, but damn it, KEEP UP!!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by brando92 View Post
                      Based on this formula I need to find a 7740 yard course. Even though I cant even shoot par at a 6300 course.
                      Thanks for the laugh

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        My course got rid of white altogether. Apparently to make people happy they're playing the 5800 yard blues, which we play for the most part. Some of our regulars could really use a move forward to orange, which are 5000. It becomes apparent when playing shamble and the short hitters have difficulty contributing from the blues. A hybrid is probably a good idea for some and maybe me in the very near future. I hit my 5 iron 170.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Is this traditionally lofted 5 iron or juiced up modern 5 iron?

                          I usually just play whites as my partners are shorter hitters. I have no issue with that...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                            Is this traditionally lofted 5 iron or juiced up modern 5 iron?

                            I usually just play whites as my partners are shorter hitters. I have no issue with that...
                            Ah you're right. My current 5 iron is probably yesteryear's 4. Or 3 for that matter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                              Is this traditionally lofted 5 iron or juiced up modern 5 iron?

                              I usually just play whites as my partners are shorter hitters. I have no issue with that...
                              That is an important factor.

                              On a proper strike in normal conditions and reasonable temps, I hit my modern loft 5iron 180/185 so the formula puts me at 6480 to 6660. The tees I play regularly at my course are either 6280 or 6642 and I am quite comfortable at both. There are 441 and 432 yard par 4's at the longer distance that require me often hitting a hybrid to 3wood in.....part of that is they bend R--L and my ball flight is L-R .

                              The course I play 2nd most is almost exactly the same range 6430 or 6630.



                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I am guessing that those using the wrong tees would still be using the wrong tees with this formula. They would most likely over estimate the length of their 5 iron as they do their driver.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Latest TGN Reviews


                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard


                                Collapse

                                Today's Birthdays


                                Working...
                                X