Clear All

• Proposed rule change to Green Reading Books for 2022 Tour

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E86EEAE-D2B1-4CCA-A0D0-5679441925C4.jpeg
Views:	1432
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	3463206

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

It will be refreshing to see players reading greens instead of books! There could be lots of whining from certain players.
    Last edited by rulie; Nov 1, 2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

A great change in my opinion. Green reading is a skill.

Comment

You can still write in your own info so you can transfer the numbers by hand.

The rules changes seem to be targeting certain players which is unfortunate IMO...everyone can use whatever is legal so if they choose not to that was there choice IMO. Why don't they make everyone hit the same clubs, same balls and use no books whatsoever. Give caddies a non-slope laser and not books...force them to go by memory. Maybe we should make em putt like Sergio with their eyes closed too because some players had laser eye surgery and that shouldn't be allowed. LOL

Back in the day, I think it was Jack Nicklaus who was the first to have books and notes....when he started winning, everyone else adopted the notion of books.

IMO it seems stupid to be going backwards and making some players retrain and relearn what they learned. Guess we're going to see lots of players learn plumb bob and aimpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

The rules changes seem to be targeting certain players which is unfortunate IMO...everyone can use whatever is legal so if they choose not to that was there choice IMO. Why don't they make everyone hit the same clubs, same balls and use no books whatsoever. Give caddies a non-slope laser and not books...force them to go by memory. Maybe we should make em putt like Sergio with their eyes closed too because some players had laser eye surgery and that shouldn't be allowed. LOL

Back in the day, I think it was Jack Nicklaus who was the first to have books and notes....when he started winning, everyone else adopted the notion of books.

IMO it seems stupid to be going backwards and making some players retrain and relearn what they learned. Guess we're going to see lots of players learn plumb bob and aimpoint.
          See section c) in post no. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
            See section c) in post no. 1.
            Yes. The fact is you can write your own notes so you can write numbers on there to denote slope. Who is to say it is from your own experience vs the old book?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga...ading-book-ban

If they want to fix that, then no handwritten notes allowed. But then again you can stop a player from getting a caddy with photographic memory.

Comment

IIRC, the first 'books' tended to be simple maps of each hole denoting distances between key points (bunkers, trees, water, etc.) so that the caddy could be sure of the yardages without having to pace them off in real time.

However, modern laser-sourced maps of greens are hyper-accurate and provide players with far more information than they could normally acquire through simple observation in the time it takes to prepare to putt. IMO, this is too much technology and reduces the requirement to be able to 'read' greens. Further, as we have seen with some players who use these high-tech books and/or AimPoint, more often than not it really slows things down.

From a governance perspective, I can understand why the ruling bodies would want to roll back the proliferation of these aids at the pro level mainly out of concern for how it would probably trickle down to public play. Too many members of the public are already convinced that if they mimic the pros then they will play better, but that just is not the case. Accurate yardage books really don't help people who don't know how far they hit each of their clubs, and high-tech green maps will not help someone who can't stroke a putt along a line even if it were given to him.

In short, banning the use of these aids is a good thing for golf overall.

Comment

Yes. The fact is you can write your own notes so you can write numbers on there to denote slope. Who is to say it is from your own experience vs the old book?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga...ading-book-ban

If they want to fix that, then no handwritten notes allowed. But then again you can stop a player from getting a caddy with photographic memory.
                Hopefully, player integrity will prevail in the vast majority of situations.

Comment

Just to clarify, am I able to bring a stimpmeter/level/laser on the course and then draw my own breaks on a yardage book? I'm not talking about an "official" practice round before a tournament. I'm talking about going out some random evening on my home course with a shag bag just messing around.

And what's a "committee approved" yardage book, beyond the rules already put forth in relation to size and scale?
                  TaylorMade / R580 / 9.5* / Graffaloy Blue X
                  TaylorMade / 300 Tour / 17* / x100
                  Titleist / 755 / 3-PW / X100
                  Titleist / Vokey / Raw / 250.08 / S300
                  Titleist / Vokey / Satin / 254.10 / S300
                  Scratch / Satin / 60* / S300
                  Titleist / Scotty Cameron / Mil-Spec

Comment

Originally posted by ZachOly View Post
                    Just to clarify, am I able to bring a stimpmeter/level/laser on the course and then draw my own breaks on a yardage book? I'm not talking about an "official" practice round before a tournament. I'm talking about going out some random evening on my home course with a shag bag just messing around.

And what's a "committee approved" yardage book, beyond the rules already put forth in relation to size and scale?
                    The restrictions will be via a Local Rule implemented by the Committee. If not implemented at that specific competition or course, there are no restrictions other than those currently in the Rules.

Comment

Watched Sentry over the weekend and watching 1st round of Sony. Not surprised that a lot of caddies are much more actively involved now on greens. Reading putts from all angles and real discussions.
                      No good deed goes unpunished.
                      A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                        Watched Sentry over the weekend and watching 1st round of Sony. Not surprised that a lot of caddies are much more actively involved now on greens. Reading putts from all angles and real discussions.
                        Watching them "read" greens is a lot better than watching them read books. As the RB said, reading greens is a skill, and that skill should be required to perform well.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
                          Watching them "read" greens is a lot better than watching them read books. As the RB said, reading greens is a skill, and that skill should be required to perform well.
                          Agreed.

I find it a "fun" challenge, even when I get it quite wrong. Maybe those are the most interesting ones, trying to "see" the break after a total misread.

In my youth I saw a 4' right break as 4' left and hit my line with terrific pace, ending up pin high and 8' right. My playing partner was "amused". I was actually horrified watching it roll out.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X