Collapse

portable mats for winter golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

So....what do the rules say about this, or, when conditions are such that you have to resort to this, is anyone really counting score and playing by the rules anyway?
    If you are specifically referring to teeing the ball up on the edge of the mat, you wouldn't be allowed to do it at my own club where the local rule includes
    • Your ball must not be teed up on the edge of the mat.
    My justification for putting that into the local rule is that the fairway mat is intended to replicate a fairway shot on a decent lie and whilst you are at liberty to take a driver to a ball on the fairway in normal circumstances, you're not entitled to get out a tee and peg your ball up in the air before doing so.

It's also written into the local rule on St Andrews links:

The ball should be placed anywhere along the central line of the mat but not on any edge in an attempt to “tee up” the ball.

Comment

Oh.. OK, a local rule allows you to do this.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post

If you are specifically referring to teeing the ball up on the edge of the mat, you wouldn't be allowed to do it at my own club where the local rule includes
        • Your ball must not be teed up on the edge of the mat.
        My justification for putting that into the local rule is that the fairway mat is intended to replicate a fairway shot on a decent lie and whilst you are at liberty to take a driver to a ball on the fairway in normal circumstances, you're not entitled to get out a tee and peg your ball up in the air before doing so.

It's also written into the local rule on St Andrews links:

The ball should be placed anywhere along the central line of the mat but not on any edge in an attempt to “tee up” the ball.
        1) Is this a modification permitted by the WHS for handicap qualifying scores?
        2) St Andrews, Scotland or Canada? The underlying question is 'Has it been approved by the R&A or the RCGA?'

The reason I ask is that when I discussed 'Smart Mats or Rocket Launchers' with the R&A many years ago there was no objection to the idea of using the edge of the more conventional mat..
        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Summary of the mat experiment

I miss my mat now that we are open for handicap. I no longer use the driver off the deck and have gone back to the conventional fairway wood. It took a couple of rounds to change chipping and pitching technique as well. Shot 75 (3 0ver) then 98 at Olympic View. Both on the mat.

In truth my sciatica returned and I couldn't stay down on the ball but it was so good then so bad. Isn't that the way?

As of 1 March, course conditions are excellent. Very few divots on the fairways. And that is with a full tee sheet daily and very wet weather. The membership has pronounced this experiment as a good thing and we will be doing it again next fall. The management is happy with the result but would like their mats returned. Apparently greens fee players take them home?????

BTW. Played yesterday 05 March in shirtsleeves at 14 degrees and bright sun.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X