Collapse

Slow play.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

That is a nice luxury , 10 mins is what we do and probably the industry standard for daily fee courses.

we don't allow people to tee off until the group ahead reaches the first green. Being an easy hole they usually get there ahead if 10 minutes but , but it is enforced and helps. Two is a tough par 5 and three is the # 4 h/c hole ....we marshal aggressively through the first 4 holes.

course design very much contributes to pace. A very difficult starting hole can be problematic, as can longish walks between holes for courses with lots of walkers. My course was built to be a Private facility, I don't think you would design it the way it is if it were meant to be a public track. 8 is a very long and hard hole, 9 a tricky par 5, then there is the stop in between to get food, drink, use facilities followed by 10 being another tricky par 5.

not sure I know of many courses with Back to back par 5's , let alone with a stopping point in between. A few long walks between holes ( few minutes each) also make things a challenge.
    Cambridge Golf Club has two Par 5s back to back (holes 2 & 3). Hole 2 is more of a long Par 4, especially from the white tees, but has a pond on the right hand side just where the landing zone is for driver to add to the challenge. Hole 3 is a straightforward par 5, but has a blind tee shot to a wide fairway.

The pace of play is generally pretty good, but hole 2 can hold things up a bit due to a lot of players going for the green in two.

Comment

^^^ I think drivable Par 5's can be a choke point.
      It's rare that I try to get on in 2 anymore on most Par 5's. But when I do wait for the green to clear, I pray to god that I don't duff it and look like a complete wannabee-poser-hack-legend-in-my-own-mind !
      WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
      Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
      Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
      Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
      Cleveland RTX4 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
      Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
      Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
        ^^^ I think drivable Par 5's can be a choke point.
        It's rare that I try to get on in 2 anymore on most Par 5's. But when I do wait for the green to clear, I pray to god that I don't duff it and look like a complete wannabee-poser-hack-legend-in-my-own-mind !
        Lol.....the 9th at my course is a short par 5 from the whites ( member tees) at 495 yards.
        I guess more of a long par 4 by todays standards. In the re-rating by GAO it is the #17 handicap hole so considered pretty easy. It does stretch out to 555 which is more typical of a par 5. It is a 90* dog leg to the left so with a properly placed tee shot one is often left with under 230 in so very reachable in 2 shots, but a difficult proposition with a creek all the way up one side, a massive 400 year old Oak tree that you need to carve the ball around and a huge, tough bunker that runs for 50 yards short left.

I used to always go for the green in two but that bunker often thwarted my efforts at eagle or birdie and many times left with only a par, or bogey. Couple seasons back I decided to play it in 3 shots to see if I scored better, I birdied it 5 of the first 6 times playing it that way. I think I have only gone for it twice since, both times did get on in two.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Lol.....the 9th at my course is a short par 5 from the whites ( member tees) at 495 yards.
          I guess more of a long par 4 by todays standards. In the re-rating by GAO it is the #17 handicap hole so considered pretty easy. It does stretch out to 555 which is more typical of a par 5. It is a 90* dog leg to the left so with a properly placed tee shot one is often left with under 230 in so very reachable in 2 shots, but a difficult proposition with a creek all the way up one side, a massive 400 year old Oak tree that you need to carve the ball around and a huge, tough bunker that runs for 50 yards short left.

I used to always go for the green in two but that bunker often thwarted my efforts at eagle or birdie and many times left with only a par, or bogey. Couple seasons back I decided to play it in 3 shots to see if I scored better, I birdied it 5 of the first 6 times playing it that way. I think I have only gone for it twice since, both times did get on in two.
          Reminds me of the short par 5 at Columbus, played it as a 3 shot hole gave up alot of birdies, only able to get it on in 2 with wind in my back

Comment

Whose course.....thankfully not mine

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUpy1Jol...KVjYNSXqZcj5RM

Comment

That was painful to watch

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

That was painful to watch
                Thought at first he maybe had a cockroach or something in his shoe

Comment

If I saw that on the first tee, regardless of whether I had already hit, I would walk away.

There is no way I would even think about playing with this guy.

Comment

Maybe he has "new partner" yips
                    I would continue to play with him...can't judge a book by its cover

Comment

Originally posted by tywl View Post
                      Maybe he has "new partner" yips
                      I would continue to play with him...can't judge a book by its cover
                      If so, you're a better person than I.

IMO, that routine is not going to suddenly get better.
                      I would rather hit practice balls than spend time on the course watching that.

Comment

Oh boy,I would be heading the other direction.
                        WITB
                        9.5 Nike Covert
                        15 TM Rocketballz
                        3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                        52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                        TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

If I saw that on the first tee, regardless of whether I had already hit, I would walk away.

There is no way I would even think about playing with this guy.
                          How about this one ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYdYWCMp...lq0dCwAUeYAw_4

Comment

I think a lot of these are staged.
                            If I saw someone on the 1st tee like that....I'd tell them to hit "the damn ball" and if it wasn't an act....I tell them I'm playing ahead of them.
                            Nuff said.

Comment

The only good thing about that swing is that with his feet so far apart he will hit everything left due to lack of hip rotation. We'd only have to search half the course for his lost balls.

So, I've got that going for me. Which, is nice...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X