Collapse

Slow play.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow play.

I have posted this before, but it deserves its own page. So much finger pointing at everyone about every small detail. Golf courses need longer tee time intervals as the day moves along, and golfers need to start using the driving range more. Until then, there are worse places to have to wait then on the course, like traffic, and Costco lines.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/feature...ikely-at-fault
    Last edited by BUCCI Putters; Nov 23, 2021, 03:10 PM.

I usually golf solo these days, and this summer I was joined up with 3 delightful gentleman who were excellent company. They were in a cart, while I walked as usual. They each shot 100+. When you think about how many trips to the ball, getting in and out of the cart with themselves and their clubs, a LOT of time is spent. And they were not particularly fast on the greens either. Somehow we did not hold up the group behind us. But it was a real first-hand account for me of how shooting low scores is generally a helluvalot faster.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Thick Fescue, which then compounds the high handicap issue.

North America took the concept of fescue and turned it into a very picturesque but exceptionally more penal element of the game. As a mid capper, I don't have to be very off at Piper's/Heathlands when the fescue is grown in to all of a sudden have a bunch more ball searching.

As someone who is mindful of the group behind me and thankfully found a cost efficient supply of balls, I'll give up searching quickly when I don't see it at my landmark and it's knee deep and instead, whine about the penal fescue. However, it's not hard to figure out that a golfer of any level who loses their ball 5-10 yards in the rough, will feel like they should find it and spend all day looking for it, to preserve their round, money, pride.

I've always loved classic parklands, that have trees and maintain under the trees. You hit a bad shot, find your ball quickly, it's lost distance and you're forced to punch out which adds at least a stroke to the hole.... Unfortunately the best examples of this type of golf seem to be private and relatively inaccessible.

Comment

I can still play bad golf fast. I think it all comes down to situational awareness and consideration. If people really gave a crap about other people, they'd find ways to play fast.
        Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
        3W - Taylormade M4
        5 wood - Callaway X Hot
        4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
        Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
        Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Not being sexist, but check out the pace of play of the ladies at your club as an example of score and pace. While several of them may take more strokes than several males, they do so much more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
            Not being sexist, but check out the pace of play of the ladies at your club as an example of score and pace. While several of them may take more strokes than several males, they do so much more quickly.
            Facts !

Comment

Originally posted by Petedv View Post

Facts !
              I concur this is more often the case than not.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                But it was a real first-hand account for me of how shooting low scores is generally a helluvalot faster.
                The slowest players at out course are some of the best . . . I would say scoring does not have much to do with speed . . .
                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

The slowest players at out course are some of the best . . . I would say scoring does not have much to do with speed . . .
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	E6CEFF8A-77D4-4711-A2DD-75CD7D6CB494.jpeg
Views:	773
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	3471664

Comment

Agreed. The slowest golfer that I ever played with was one of the best players with whom I'd ever played. Nice man, but molasses on a frigid day flows quicker than this man played. It was painful to watch. Years later, I still recall asking a friend of mine, who was officiating, to give us a slow play warning so that our twosome would catch up to the threesomes ahead of us. And ... this was a national tournament!

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

As someone who is a low handicap and makes a point to play as fast as I can - its not the looking for lost balls that bothers me (as long as the time looking is reasonable), its more so the people who are not ready to play when it is their turn. I find it much more frustrating to see someone sitting in the cart while their partner hits a shot when their own ball is only a few yards away - decide on a club and shot, and start your pre-shot routine while your partner is hitting as long as it doesn't interfere with what your partner is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by RGreg07 View Post
                        As someone who is a low handicap and makes a point to play as fast as I can - its not the looking for lost balls that bothers me (as long as the time looking is reasonable), its more so the people who are not ready to play when it is their turn. I find it much more frustrating to see someone sitting in the cart while their partner hits a shot when their own ball is only a few yards away - decide on a club and shot, and start your pre-shot routine while your partner is hitting as long as it doesn't interfere with what your partner is doing.
                        While in principle I agree that it is always good to play ready golf, I does depend on the situation. As long as your group is keeping the correct position/gap with the group in front then it really doesn't matter if somebody rushes to hit their ball , spends an extra minute searching or has a long preshot routine. However, if those behaviours result in a group lagging then yes, by all means do what is needed to keep pace with the group in front. I am not a fan of guys who play "hurry up and wait" and there is no point trying to play at 3:30 pace when the course time par and pop is 4:15.

we have 250-300 golfers every day . I will see 250 different routines, golfers aged 6 to 90, golfers who shoot high 60's to 150. It is impossible and unreasonable to expect everyone to play with the same routine, walk at the same speed etc. And...I would argue that is not required. Whatever the age, ability or routine all that matters is that your group keep pace with the group ahead. Every group, even good golfers and pros will have a bad or slow hole, recognize it, own it and get back in position asap.

Marshals generally are not going to tell people how they should play, however, I have on occasion suggested to a group if they are lagging that they consider playing ready golf, or they need to pick it up because of the 9 practice swings the one member is taking on each shot. The vast majority are receptive and get it, unfortunately , there are a few that just don't care. Thankfully, they are the minority but they can derail a course.

I have spoken about him before but a good friend is molasses slow over the ball, knee bends, waggles, pauses....a good 20 seconds +, whereas I usually take one or none practice swings and am done in 3 seconds. Thing is, my friend doesn't hold up play , he's quick in all other aspects just takes "pro" time addressing the ball.

nobody likes slow play, some people dont exactly understand what constitutes such. I recall a guy asking why I was bothering him, they were only 10 minutes down after 9 holes and there was no one in front of them.....

thankfully with our new Tagmarshal system, all our carts are geo mapped and tracked and have interactive GPS that has the pace posted in relation to our established time par visible on the dash....it green if you are on pace, turns orange then red. System also tells us which cart group is the culprit We can send a note to the cart to pick it up or the marshal, often both.
                        Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 24, 2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

While in principle I agree that it is always good to play ready golf, I does depend on the situation. As long as your group is keeping the correct position/gap with the group in front then it really doesn't matter if somebody rushes to hit their ball , spends an extra minute searching or has a long preshot routine. However, if those behaviours result in a group lagging then yes, by all means do what is needed to keep pace with the group in front. I am not a fan of guys who play "hurry up and wait" and there is no point trying to play at 3:30 pace when the course time par and pop is 4:15.

we have 250-300 golfers every day . I will see 250 different routines, golfers aged 6 to 90, golfers who shoot high 60's to 150. It is impossible and unreasonable to expect everyone to play with the same routine, walk at the same speed etc. And...I would argue that is not required. Whatever the age, ability or routine all that matters is that your group keep pace with the group ahead. Every group, even good golfers and pros will have a bad or slow hole, recognize it, own it and get back in position asap.

Marshals generally are not going to tell people how they should play, however, I have on occasion suggested to a group if they are lagging that they consider playing ready golf, or they need to pick it up because of the 9 practice swings the one member is taking on each shot. The vast majority are receptive and get it, unfortunately , there are a few that just don't care. Thankfully, they are the minority but they can derail a course.

I have spoken about him before but a good friend is molasses slow over the ball, knee bends, waggles, pauses....a good 20 seconds +, whereas I usually take one or none practice swings and am done in 3 seconds. Thing is, my friend doesn't hold up play , he's quick in all other aspects just takes "pro" time addressing the ball.
                          I agree with everything you said. I was speaking more to those that are holding up the group behind them by not being ready to hit when it is their turn, when it is reasonable to do so - if the pace of play is not affected, take as much time as you feel like.

I just don't want to watch someone chat for two minutes in between shots when the fairway/green is clear and I am waiting for them to get going so that I can move on with my round.

Comment

Originally posted by RGreg07 View Post

I agree with everything you said. I was speaking more to those that are holding up the group behind them by not being ready to hit when it is their turn, when it is reasonable to do so - if the pace of play is not affected, take as much time as you feel like.

I just don't want to watch someone chat for two minutes in between shots when the green is clear.

agreed

had a group last week on 18 that finished, and stood and talked, marked their score , organized bags whatever for a good couple minutes as we stood in the fairway. They saw us there because we approached the tee as they were teeing off, Now we did play in under 3:30 but was a minor annoyance to have to stand there waiting for them to finish up whatever it was long after they had putt out.

of course I pulled my shot way left of the green where they were standing so good thing I remained patient.

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                              I can still play bad golf fast. I think it all comes down to situational awareness and consideration. If people really gave a crap about other people, they'd find ways to play fast.
                              Bingo.
                              This sums everything up very well.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X