Collapse

What is wrong with 4.5 hour round of golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with 4.5 hour round of golf

Last 2 times we have played marshals have warned us about being slow, yet both times we have been under 4 and half hours. What is going on that our rounds of golf are being rushed? Puts a damper on having a relaxing round of golf. Maybe they are pissed that guys over 60 are walking not riding? Someone explain this?!

I’m with you. Never understood the fascination with rushing around the course as fast as possible.

4-4.5 hours is totally reasonable to me.

Comment

At a public course I hope to get 4:15 to 4:30 and I will be ok with that. My preference is around 4:00 and I don't think you have to rush unless you are taking a a lot of shots, even then ready golf keeps it going.

I just struggle when people are spending way more time talking than playing golf.

Comment

Depends on the course (length, speed of greens, length of rough, how much trouble there is, how busy it is) and the number of people playing. On a longer course, with walks in between holes, 4:30 is fine, though 4:15 is better, assuming no waiting.

On a shorter course with 3 guys, 3.5 hours should do it.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetness View Post
          Last 2 times we have played marshals have warned us about being slow, yet both times we have been under 4 and half hours. What is going on that our rounds of golf are being rushed? Puts a damper on having a relaxing round of golf. Maybe they are pissed that guys over 60 are walking not riding? Someone explain this?!
          4.5 for Geezers who are walking is fine. If the crowd behind you complains to the Marshall about your pace, it's probably because you're fishing for balls. Age makes you tight. LOL
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

It is irritating I agree, and I have worked as a Marshal. LOL
            We never rushed golfers unless there was obvious signs of wasting time.
            Usual problem was looking for lost balls, so we used to carry plenty of spares, not Pro V's though.
            If you are determined to take your time without wasting time,
            I suggest you wave following groups to play through of your group and let them go ahead.
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

So I am hearing everyone...to clarify...first time we were a foursome and we were following 3 groups of 2 golfers...the group behind us waited (usually on the fairway) for us maybe 3 or 4 times. Today we were on a city course and we had to wait 3 or 4 times for the group in front of us and yet we were still admonished for being slow. I'm just finding marshals are just a little too zealous in doing their job. Not necessarily blaming them (the marshal today said he would get into trouble for not pushing us), just nostalgic for the days when it was OK to buy a beer, hit the ball, chat (a bit) and spend 30 seconds or less looking for your ball if needed. When it is such nice weather why can't we just soak it up a bit...nobody's making millions playing weekday golf with their buddies. Why hurry?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetness View Post
                So I am hearing everyone...to clarify...first time we were a foursome and we were following 3 groups of 2 golfers...the group behind us waited (usually on the fairway) for us maybe 3 or 4 times. Today we were on a city course and we had to wait 3 or 4 times for the group in front of us and yet we were still admonished for being slow. I'm just finding marshals are just a little too zealous in doing their job. Not necessarily blaming them (the marshal today said he would get into trouble for not pushing us), just nostalgic for the days when it was OK to buy a beer, hit the ball, chat (a bit) and spend 30 seconds or less looking for your ball if needed. When it is such nice weather why can't we just soak it up a bit...nobody's making millions playing weekday golf with their buddies. Why hurry?
                the bolded has, in my experience, a lot to do with it... not sure why, but marshalls at public courses tend to be more 'up tight'... if the group behind you isn't waiting, and/or there isn't a significant gap in front of you, just ignore the marshall.

Comment

As said above, it probably depends a lot on marshalls...

At Don Valley, we were once paired with a couple of older ladies who walked and we fell behind the group in front of us... but not a problem for us at all...

Then as I and my friend walked toward no. 6... the marshall (a lady) was waiting and told us something like "you boys gotta keep it up" rather directly... Not so nice.

Then the ladies showed up behind us and the marshall saw them...probably realizing why our group was falling behind. She suddenly started talking about the weather.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that time unless the group behind has to wait and there is too big of a gap to the group ahead. People get caught up too much with time but what if someone asks what's wrong with a 5 hr round, what would your answer be?

Comment

Whenever we play, public or private courses, we usually do not time ourselves UNLESS we are falling behind by 1 hole, then we pick up the pace to close the gap. I hate waiting as much as others but if it is a very busy day and when the marshal comes around and tells us that it is slow all round, then we just keep pace and try not to rush our shots and make it worse in waiting on every shot.

These days, I pick my spots. Certain courses at certain times I will not play. I am out to have a good time with 3 other friends. That 4+ hours and a meal and drink after is and should be enjoyable. At my age that is what I look forward to. It is a nice relaxing day/half a day for me. Not going to get stressed out rushing around for 4 hours. It is just not worth it.

Comment

If you tee off prior to 8 am the expectation is to be finished in 330 or less at my private club, never seems to be an issue walking or riding as they sent out emails actually asking the membership to slow down in the morning

we don’t play speed golf, I still take my time over every shot, look for the odd tough to find ball, and take the game very serious

I don’t understand if nobody is in front of you why a round of golf should take more then 3:45 max

the biggest issue is people don’t play ready golf, generally I see guys all huddled together in the fairway wasting time, get to your ball figure out what you wanna do, if you’re ready and nobody else is hitting… fire away and keep it moving

Comment

I have probably played 30 or so rounds so far this year and I would guess my average (4 ball) pace is about 3:15. If we get in in less than 3 we consider that fast, slower than 3:30 we consider a bit slow. I also appreciate that others might have a different preference for pace. I have no problem with you wanting to take 4;30 (or longer) and think that clubs could do a better job managing their tee times to accommodate all preferences. The problems seem to arise when groups with different expectations/ preferences on pace are mixed together. A slower group in front of a faster group will make an unpleasant experience for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
                            I have probably played 30 or so rounds so far this year and I would guess my average (4 ball) pace is about 3:15. If we get in in less than 3 we consider that fast, slower than 3:30 we consider a bit slow. I also appreciate that others might have a different preference for pace. I have no problem with you wanting to take 4;30 (or longer) and think that clubs could do a better job managing their tee times to accommodate all preferences. The problems seem to arise when groups with different expectations/ preferences on pace are mixed together. A slower group in front of a faster group will make an unpleasant experience for everyone.
                            Looking at it the other way nothing bugs my *** more than the 3:15 group pushing the 3:45 group, on top of that the threesomes who continually push the foursome when there is nowhere to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Over Par View Post

Looking at it the other way nothing bugs my *** more than the 3:15 group pushing the 3:45 group, on top of that the threesomes who continually push the foursome when there is nowhere to go.
                              Come on, they have to hurry to go home and sit in their rocking chair. I got a guy last week who played, race home only to be clock at 107 in an 80 zone. Saw him Wednesday and ask him why he was so much in a hurry??? Absolutely no answer . . . just telling me that is how he drives . . . Run around the course, race home to sit and do nothing . . .

I have no clue how much time it takes us . . . probably around 3:30 . . . maybe a bit less, sometime a bit more . . . I don't even own a watch . . .
                              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X