Collapse

Hanky panky in the bushes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanky panky in the bushes

No, not that….but taking a stance in the bushes. We have all been there…ball rolls under a tree or bushes…if we can just get in there to take a crack at the ball. But the bushes are in the way of a normal stance.

Rule 8.1b allows a player to “ Fairly take a stance by taking reasonable actions to get to the ball and take a stance.” But, when doing so…the player “Must use the least intrusive course of action to deal with the particular situation.

So moving and rearranging branches by hand is not permitted….but you can work your way into a stance by sliding or backing into a spot, even if you bend some branches with your backside while doing so.

So we have all seen, or undertaken ourselves, moving into a position in the bush, very strategically, to maximize the advantageous and favorable relocation of branches to benefit a workable stroke.

Some of this is obviously deliberate and unabashed violation of “least intrusive course of action”, when entry from another, less intrusive direction, might be taken.

Let’s face it…the prospect of getting out from under the bushes in good shape is strong incentive to working your way into a chance at getting out.

This is a slippery slope, and gaining entry “using the least intrusive course of action”, is often a very fine line. How much liberty do you take in working your way in for a shot before either calling a penalty on yourself or taking an unplayable lie, or is anything, except using your hands, acceptable?

Asking for a friend of course.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

I generally use the 80% rule - if I don't have an 80% chance of taking a decent shot, I don't even try - which rules out most of those situations - if I'm going to have to start "backing in" to branches, I'm probably not going to be able to swing freely, and just take the unplayable.

I know that doesn't really answer your question

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
      No, not that….but taking a stance in the bushes. We have all been there…ball rolls under a tree or bushes…if we can just get in there to take a crack at the ball. But the bushes are in the way of a normal stance.

Rule 8.1b allows a player to “ Fairly take a stance by taking reasonable actions to get to the ball and take a stance.” But, when doing so…the player “Must use the least intrusive course of action to deal with the particular situation.

So moving and rearranging branches by hand is not permitted….but you can work your way into a stance by sliding or backing into a spot, even if you bend some branches with your backside while doing so.

So we have all seen, or undertaken ourselves, moving into a position in the bush, very strategically, to maximize the advantageous and favorable relocation of branches to benefit a workable stroke.

Some of this is obviously deliberate and unabashed violation of “least intrusive course of action”, when entry from another, less intrusive direction, might be taken.

Let’s face it…the prospect of getting out from under the bushes in good shape is strong incentive to working your way into a chance at getting out.

This is a slippery slope, and gaining entry “using the least intrusive course of action”, is often a very fine line. How much liberty do you take in working your way in for a shot before either calling a penalty on yourself or taking an unplayable lie, or is anything, except using your hands, acceptable?

Asking for a friend of course.

Read this and the next banner ad was for a chain saw, I think that's probably not the way to go.
      Ping G410 Plus
      Ping G410 3W
      Ping G400 7W or 3H
      Ping G400 4H
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Read this and the next banner ad was for a chain saw, I think that's probably not the way to go.
        Yes, too heavy to carry as well.

I think many people either don't know the rules in this circumstance, or think anything that does not involve using one's hands to manipulate bushes and branches is fair game.

And the requirement to "use the least intrusive course of action" is subjective, to say the least.

I am sure we have all seen people going to great lengths, working their bodies into creative "vegetative management" to get a shot off.

I once was paired with a couple of individuals, one of who, when I was in some tall grass, and expressed concern about being able to get a club on the ball, proceeded to hack out a space behind and in front of the ball with a club, and then stamp it down with his feet, commenting - "there... should be no problem now".

All I could think about at the time was "actions of an outside agent".

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

Yes, too heavy to carry as well.

I think many people either don't know the rules in this circumstance, or think anything that does not involve using one's hands to manipulate bushes and branches is fair game.

And the requirement to "use the least intrusive course of action" is subjective, to say the least.

I am sure we have all seen people going to great lengths, working their bodies into creative "vegetative management" to get a shot off.

I once was paired with a couple of individuals, one of who, when I was in some tall grass, and expressed concern about being able to get a club on the ball, proceeded to hack out a space behind and in front of the ball with a club, and then stamp it down with his feet, commenting - "there... should be no problem now".

All I could think about at the time was "actions of an outside agent".

The other player gets the general penalty under Rule 8.3b (Deliberate Actions to Alter Physical Conditions to Affect Another Player's Ball at Rest or Stroke to Be Made).
          Both players are penalized if the physical conditions are improved with the other player's knowledge.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a story I heard John Daly tell when I was scoring for his group at the 2007 Canadian Open. Take it with a grain of salt...

Daly was paired with Seve in one of the European tour events years ago. Seve was apparently a rules stickler and would occasionally hold fast to a rule even when it was obscure and maybe even incorrect. In any case, they were playing a hole that went up over a hill and then downhill to the green. It had a fence and some other debris on the right side and both he and Seve hit their drives right near the fence but out of sight from the tee. Daly, as usual, walked quickly towards the two balls, arriving a minute or so before Seve. When Seve came over the hill, Daly asked him if he could put his foot on the fence to hit his next shot? Seve responded..." No f*cking way!". Then Daly asked whether he could put his hand on the fence and hit one handed? Seve gave the same response..."No f*cking way!!" Finally Daly asked if he could sit on the fence and hit his next shot. Seve responded again with "No f*cking way!!!"

Smiling smugly, Daly then answered..."Good, it's your ball".

Comment

You mean I can't have a weed whacker as my 14th club? Who knew? Honestly I do some pruning if it helps. Not legal but then neither is playing every lost ball as going into a lateral hazard. I'm from the game is hard enough school.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfgeek View Post
                This thread reminds me of a story I heard John Daly tell when I was scoring for his group at the 2007 Canadian Open. Take it with a grain of salt...

Daly was paired with Seve in one of the European tour events years ago. Seve was apparently a rules stickler and would occasionally hold fast to a rule even when it was obscure and maybe even incorrect. In any case, they were playing a hole that went up over a hill and then downhill to the green. It had a fence and some other debris on the right side and both he and Seve hit their drives right near the fence but out of sight from the tee. Daly, as usual, walked quickly towards the two balls, arriving a minute or so before Seve. When Seve came over the hill, Daly asked him if he could put his foot on the fence to hit his next shot? Seve responded..." No f*cking way!". Then Daly asked whether he could put his hand on the fence and hit one handed? Seve gave the same response..."No f*cking way!!" Finally Daly asked if he could sit on the fence and hit his next shot. Seve responded again with "No f*cking way!!!"

Smiling smugly, Daly then answered..."Good, it's your ball".

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X